3 years into a DMP - is there anyway of clearing my debts sooner??

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3774 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

I started a DMP with the CCCS 3 years ago when I had 21k of debt to pay off.

I still have about 11k left so about 4 years to go until I am debt free.

I've looked through the forums etc but I was just wondering if anyone had any ideas if I could pay this back sooner,

reduce my debts, IVA etc?

I am paying £274 a month with I can just about manage.

I am desperate to get this debt paid off asap but cannot afford more then £274 a month.

My debts are from 3 credit cards, 2 store cards, 2 overdrafts and a loan.

Also one question I have is regarding a lloyds overdraft I had about 4 years ago.

I had their top current account at the time and was able to apply to extend my overdraft online which was an instant decision.

I keep doing this as I was always short of cash and somehow over a period of about 2 years

I managed to get my overdraft limit up to......£6920, yes, £6920!!!

How did they let me do this?

is was an apprentice at the time so was earing between £11k-£18k at the time and renting a flat!!

If anyone has any advice or ideas I would very much appreciate it.

Thanks for your time reading this.

Mike

Who currently owns the debts the OC or have they been sold? Any PPI,? Are there any charges on the credit cards,store cards and loan?

List the debts along with the date of opening the account

CCCS (Stepchange) are a good and FREE organisation and very helpful in general,they will not help or advise you where your creditors cannot produce an agreement for the account,they consider a debt a debt and must be paid,although they will help with F&F settlements

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. I'm at work and don't have my stepchange login details handy to list the debts.

Will do tonight if you don't mind keeping an eye on this thread.

Regarding the charges.

I'm almost certain that most if not all of the debts incurred charges during the time I had the accounts.

Either credit/store card late payments,

overdrafts in excess of limits,

missed payments etc.

I'm not sure if I ever took PPI but I guess I can try and find out.

Your credit cards and loans, you should be able to reclaim charges - which could be used to reduce any balances. If there was any PPI on the loans and credit cards (or Card Protection on the credit cards) and if this was mis sold, then you should be able to reclaim that.

I don't think you will be able to do anything regarding the current account unless it was a mis sold package deal.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Hello there. The IVA would be 5-6 years, as such I think it's actually going to be faster to continue doing what you're doing.

Make sure that:

a) You reclaim anything you're able to

B) That the interest and charges have been frozen

If your debts are pre april '07 you may wish to try the CCA route. If you've no idea what I mean by this just let us know and we'll expand.

Best wishes,

Seq.

ok so I have the details of my debt. They are as follows

Credit/store cards:

OC - Home retail (homebase store card)

Now - Moorcroft debt recovery

Date opened - 10/03/08

Debt - £245.19

OC - Marks & Spencer Credit card

Now - Rockwell debt collection

Date opened - 12/04/06

Debt - £511.68

OC - Barclaycard

Now - Barclaycard

Date opened - 18/03/08

Debt - 604.59

Overdrafts:

OC - LloydsTSB

Now - Lloyds Bank

Date opened - 01/07/09 (This is according to my credit file but I had this account for many years prior to this date)

Debt - £3215.06

OC - Santander

Now - Debt managers Ltd.

Date opened - 12/02/09

Debt - £165.89

Loan:

OC - LloydsTSB

Now - Lloyds Bank

Date opened - 27/10/07

Debt - £5,080.08

Also I have relatively new Capital one and Vanquis credit cards which are defaulting now as I am stuggleing to pay these aswell as my DMP. Is it possible to now add these to my DMP? or would I need to set up a new one? the balances are both about £300

Thanks in advance for your help.

Hi Seq.

Thanks for you reply

Is the CCA relating to debts that cannot be chased after 6 years? The problem with that is I have been making regular payments so does this still apply? any advice welcome.

Thanks

The cards and store cards Pre april 2007 worth sending of a CCA request cost £1 this will determine whether they can produce a signed agreement for the account,where a DCA owns the debt repeat owns the debt make them do the work,if they are just looking after the account for the OC send it to the OC.

In my opinion for cards started after April 2007 not worth chasing for the agreement but well worth chasing for all charges,and all accounts chase for PPI if this was applicable.

The 6 years relates to Statute Barred,you have been paying them so that will not apply.

My concern outside of the above is you seem to be paying CCCS more than you can afford,review your outgoings and ensure you are covering every outgoing to the full and advise CCCS of the change in circumstances.

Not on the lecture circuit but going for Capital and Vanquis High interest cards not the best way forward

The best way forward is to run your own DMP and ensure you only pay what you can afford

FS

Thanks

Will send a CCA to the older ones. Regarding the PPI, I no longer have any of the original paperwork so I do not know if I ever had PPI. How do I find out? CCA?

I have been paying £274 a month to my DMP with CCCS for a long time now and if i'm honest, I would like to reduce it becasue you are right, I am struggling to afford it. However, I am so desperate to clear the debt, I am reluctant to reduce the monthly payment. Urgh, hate debt!!!

Capital one and vanquis cards I got because 'I would not default one these this time'....that old story! Do you think it's possible to add these to my current DMP or would I have to set up a new one?

To make a claim for the credit and store card charges, how is the best way to go about it? Do I have to plead financial hardship? what would I be entitled to?

Sorry for all the questions. I've read a lot about these things on the web and I think i'm just confusing myself, hence why I started this thread.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Personally not a great fan of DMP s the real beneficiaries are the creditors, not the debtors.

A lot of people would be better off going down the BR/IVA route.

A certain DMP provider is financed by the banks and receives a 9% commission on all payments.

That's hardly impartial is it?

odetter

Yeah, I know what you mean.

When I started this thread, I was trying to get ideas of ways to pay my debt back quicker, if there was any way of getting some of it wiped off etc. But to be honest I don't know if any other solution is better then what i'm doing at the moment with my DMP.

As at least 3 debts have been sold on, if you can get any lump sum together at all, it would be worth negotiating for a F&F with those ones. They will have paid around 10-20p per £1 for the debt, so if they bought it for 20p per pound and you offer a 30% or even 25% F&F they may accept, Often F&F's can be lower, though in your circumstances this may be tricky.

Is there a particular reason you are keen to clear them asap all of a sudden, or do you just want to be debt free?

Hi.

I could try and see what offers for f&f settlement I could negotiate. Basically I have been in debt since I was 19, I'm 29 now and I'm sick of being held back from saving money for a future. I just want to be debt free asap.

CCA requests are worth doing on those governed by the CCA as well, as if they can't produce the agreement even post 2007, you can bring pressure to bear.

Forgive the personal question, but are you able bodied and medically well? The reason I ask is it is occasionally possible to use medical conditions to write off debts - don't get your hopes up, but it is done.