Dodgy garage?

claire728
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3798 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi just looking for some advice please.

I bought a car from a dealership (with a 3 month warranty) who send all their vehicles to a 3rd party garage for MOTS, repairs etc. It was MOT'd the day I bought it and it passed with NO advisories.

This immediately didn't sit right with me as when we viewed the car the middle rear seatbelt had frayed right through at least half of the width (a definite fail), the headlight was also out (another definite fail-although it 'could of gone at any time').

I went to the garage and showed them the seatbelt and they clearly were very embarrassed it had been missed (more like they didn't MOT it properly as you would have to be blind to miss that!). They then replaced the seatbelt and headlight bulb and I went on my way. Out of interest I then got it MOT'd at a main well known dealership at which it passed but had around 8 advisories.

Then around a week after buying the car the exhaust developed a hole and was making a horrendous noise, so it went back to the 3rd party garage who replaced the whole exhaust system.

Another week went by and I noticed the rear de-mister wasn't working and the malfunction indicator light had come on. Back it went to the 3rd party garage for repair, who issued me with a courtesy car.

The courtesy car was a lot older than my car and in a pretty rough condition. On the way home with my I noticed that when I break the car was making a strange noise when I was breaking. I didn't feel comfortable driving it so took it to a different garage and paid them £20 to give it a quick check. They advised me the tyres on the car were bald, the wheel was wobbly on passenger front side and quite a few other faults. They told me it was unsafe to drive.

I am livid because I've been driving around with my daughters in the car and to think the garage who gave me the courtesy car put them at risk makes me feel ill!:mad2::mad2::mad2:

Where do I stand? Can I get them done for providing an un-roadworthy courtesy car?

Help is appreciated, thanks.

Oh they have since told me that the malfunction indicator light was on in my car due to a faulty catalytic converter that THEY fitted!

Hi just looking for some advice please.

The courtesy car was a lot older than my car and in a pretty rough condition. On the way home with my I noticed that when I break the car was making a strange noise when I was breaking. I didn't feel comfortable driving it so took it to a different garage and paid them £20 to give it a quick check. They advised me the tyres on the car were bald, the wheel was wobbly on passenger front side and quite a few other faults. They told me it was unsafe to drive.

You did not think to give the car a basic check before getting in and driving ?

The responsibility of using a vehicle with defective tyres remains wholly with the driver

Obviously I didn't check the car before I got in or I wouldn't be in this situation. I was far too trusting on the garage not to put my family at risk. How silly of me. Who gets down and shakes the wheels to see if they are ok?!

Anyway, is there anyone who can actually help me with what I can do next instead of posting unhelpful comments ^

I want to stop this garage from putting others at risk.

i don't think that was a unhelpful comment just because its something you don't want to hear.

Kiki1 has a valid point, you should make sure every vehicle including your own that you drive is road worthy, may be inconvenient or unpractical but if the vehicle has a accident you would be the one who would get the book thrown at you.

Out of interest I then got it MOT'd at a main well known dealership at which it passed but had around 8 advisories.

just to make a point but your vehicle never failed on its Mot, they are advisories you could have the same vehicle tested by 5 different testers & some items may get flagged up & others may not, it also depends what these advisories are & if the garage maybe hunting for work.

what did the garage say regarding the courtesy cars condition???

Who gets down and shakes the wheels to see if they are ok?!

Anyway, is there anyone who can actually help me with what I can do next instead of posting unhelpful comments

Since tyre tread has absolutely nothing to do with the wheel it happens to be on, you might be better off having a friend with a modicum of mechanical knowledge go with you next time.