gavman99

DVLA don't have me as the owner. Is my car insurance void ?

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 2125 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

In August 2013 I bought a car from a dealer and I arranged insurance through Admiral.

The car is due Road Tax at the end of November but since I never received a road tax reminder, I contacted DVLA to find out where it was. DVLA told me the car has not been registered in my name and its still with the previous owner, so the garage has not sent them the new keepers details form.

Now considering one of the insurance questions is "Are you registered keeper of the car" which I answered Yes to, does this mean that currently, I am not insured to drive it ?

To make matters worse, about 8 weeks ago I was in a crash (my fault - damage to my car and another car) and everything went through the insurance company.

What should I do ? Get the car registered in my name asap and forget about the insurance implications as they don't know anything ? Or should I be contacting the insurance company and tell them that, through no fault of my own, I think i wasn't covered when the crash happened. Not sure if the garage would be liable for the repairs here ?

Any assistance appreciated.

Thanks,

Gavin.

Not really a big issue, as you will have paperwork showing that you bought the car from the dealer. I think you need to contact the dealer to find out why they have not sent the V5 registration document off to DVLA. If they did send the V5 off to DVLA but it has gone missing, then they can contact DVLA to sort out the registration, so that it is transfered to you.

Your Car Insurers in terms of the claim won't be that interested unless the car was a write off and they need the V5. Then it is a case of having a bit of a wait until the V5 is correctly transfered to you.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread