student loan, link threatening ccj and balifs

gemmings
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3800 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi I need help,

I had a student loan in 1997, and was deferring until 2011 when I was made redundent and thought if I wasnt working I didnt have to defer anymore,

thesis took hold of the loan, but I didnt make any payments,

now link have rung saying no payment plan can be considered,

I have 48 hrs to find the money,

she told me to borrow it from family,

which I cant as its £1800.

Or I will be given a ccj and

peopke will come to my house to take goods to the value of the amount owed.

She told me to take legal advice.

I'm scared, what do I do!!!

Will people just turn up and come in my house???

Any help will be much appreciated she is ringing back today as 48 hrs is up!!!

Gemmings.

How disgusting of this company and the cow on the phone.

Do not phone them for any reason, this is very important, and do not answer if they phone you, just say "in a letter please" and put the phone down.

First off they cannot insist that it is in one payment and it is unlawful for them to suggest that you go borrow it from someone else.

Do yourself an income and expenses sheet to see exactly how much disposable income your actually have after everything has been taken into account and that includes something for a rainy day and Christmas.

You now send them by recorded post, a postal order or cheque with the amount you can safely afford, say £5 per month. It is important that you can afford this amount without a break as continual payments are more important than the amount.

Include a letter 'telling' them (no requesting) that this is all you can afford and ask for their banking details so you can set up a standing order. It's best to set up a standing order, (never a direct debit) as postal orders cost on top of their value.

It's very unlikely they will take you to court if you make regular payments to them as the court will want to know why when you are already making payments and will probably drop the monthly payment to £1 if your only income is benefits.

As for bailiffs, they won't be coming as they have to take you to court, and win, and then you have a further 28 days to pay, but you will have given the judge a copy of your expenses sheet so that will be that.

As for the unlawful and disgusting language used by them and their insistence that you borrow the money, you 'must' report it to the FCA

http://www.fca.org.uk/site-info/contact

Edited by Conniff

Have you been ignoring correspondence on this loan as it seems odd that someone would ring up and threaten a CCJ with 48hours notice.

Don't panic. If it does come down to court you can get some advice from the Citizens Advice bureau and they will help you to fill in any necessary forms.

Link may apply to the court in 48 hours but there is a hearing and a process to go through before a CCJ is issued.

You will be given notice of a court date and time to refute either that you owe the money or accept you owe the money but need time to pay.

Usually by demonstrating through a income and outgoings schedule what you can afford to pay.

Even if a CCJ is issued against you then the company have to go back again to get an order for the court bailiffs to collect

but some companies try it on by selling the debt to a DCA. (Debt collection agency).

These should never be given admittance to your home and do not negotiate with them only with the person with whom you made the contract.

I would try to avoid getting a CCJ as it will affect your credit rating for some time to come and you are likely to find yourself unable to get credit or a mortgage.

Once you are advised of a court claim you will need to complete form N244

You can also get advice from the National Debt helpline.

If you are phoning for help make sure you are contacting a debt charity and not a company that will negotiate debts on your behalf but claim huge fees.

Once you have started this process through a charity I understand that court proceedings if started have to be put on hold.

So I would be straight onto the National Debt helpline today if I was you and get advice from them

" Once you are advised of a court claim you will need to complete form N244 "

For what reason?

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

Thanku so much for your help, yes I will admit I ignored thesis services letters,

and now LINK are involved as they have taken over the debt,

I did offer to set up a payment arrangement, but she said that is no good now, they can not do that. Its the full balance or balifs.

How can I avoid a CCJ??

I have had nothing in writing from link, only phone calls!!

Proper worried someone is going to knock my door.

Its not the full balance or Bailiffs...send them a section 77 request firstly for a copy of the agreement...the phone calls will soon stop.

Regards

Andy

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

Section 77 request:-

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?387435-CCA-Request-Consumer-Credit-Act-1974

Company Name

Link Financial

Correspondence Address

Po Box 30095

London

SE1 7WU

Registered Address

Camelford House

89 Albert Embankment

London

SE1 7TP

Reg Company Number

Parent Company

N/A

Consumer Credit Licence

Website

http://www.linkfinancial.co.uk

Company Director

Philippe Marcel Etienne Paillart

Direct Postal Address

83 Mcnail Road

Singapore

Foreign

Company Secretary

Mrs Selina Lee Burdell

Direct Postal Address

30 The Boltons

London

SW10 9TD

Investment Banker

Mr Paul David Burdell

Direct Postal Address

30 The Boltons

London

They have 12 + 2 days to comply then they are in default and would be unwise to submit a Claim...which they need to get to attain a CCJ first ...which you must ignore and not pay.... for them to execute the judgment using bailiffs.

moved to the SLC forum.

plenty of other thread here to read too

just remember thesis ARE link.

they are trying to spoof you here.

I'd get an sar off to thesis too.

if the SLC sold your loan to thesis

then odds on theres something amiss with it.

just because you failed to defer

doesn't automatically mean you have to pay up.

investigate things first

and stay off that phone as advised!!

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Sorry what is a SAR??

I'm scared if I stay off the phone someone will knock my door and take our things.

Just need a step by step guide of how to deal with this!!

Apparently because I didnt defer with slc they sold loan to thesis then they sold it to link,

if I had dealt with thesis I coukd have set up a payment arrangement,

link want full payment or will issue a ccj.

She still hasnt rung me,

and ive had nothing in writing.

click the sar.

right first things first

LINK are a DCA

THEY ARE NOT BAILIFFS

and

HAVE NO SUCH LEGAL POWERS

can I suggest you do a bit of reading here in the forum

click the blue student loans/SLC up the top of this page

read some threads.

remember THESIS ARE LINK

they are spoofing you.

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

You are worrying over nothing. Link cant do much if anything. They will say ANYTHING over the phone to scare you into paying.

Is this debt even enforceable at all give its age?

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

In the very unlikely event that someone knocks on your door, they will have no powers to take or demand anything, they will just be a collector hoping to get something, so just say sorry, am talking to the creditor and shut the door.

Bailiffs wont be coming, they need a ccj against you first and then 28 days to expire without payment. Even then, you do not and should not allow anyone to come inside your home.

student loans rarely show on CRa files.

and they

I'd be getting your SAR off

for now do nothing more

dx

and they