Dispute over commission from sale of property

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3793 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Currently selling my property in Scotland when engaging the estate agent/solicitor(combined firm) I was told by their rep who came to the house and followed up by email that the commission they would take for the sale of my house would be 1.75% .

Now I'm in dispute with them as they say the minimum commission they take is £1750 if the of % the sale price would be less than that. Now I've checked the paper work which I have signed and it does say the above.

But if I have been told the sale price is 1.75% then surely this is a binding agreement and they should honor it? Plus I feel that the level of service we have been given from them does not warrant full payment.

Currently selling my property in Scotland when engaging the estate agent/solicitor(combined firm) I was told by their rep who came to the house and followed up by email that the commission they would take for the sale of my house would be 1.75% .

Now I'm in dispute with them as they say the minimum commission they take is £1750 if the of % the sale price would be less than that. Now I've checked the paper work which I have signed and it does say the above.

But if I have been told the sale price is 1.75% then surely this is a binding agreement and they should honor it? Plus I feel that the level of service we have been given from them does not warrant full payment.

Always a minimum and 1.75% above that.

:mad2::-x:jaw::sad:

I think you would have a better argument if you hadn't subsequently signed the agreement which stated that there was a minimum of £1750 or 1.75%.

However you have their email, so you may be able to negotiate something by using that. I don't think they would want to get into litigation, so you can try and insist they stick to what they said in the email or split the difference.

When you say you are "currently" selling the house does this mean you have exchanged contracts? I know it's different in Scotland. Have they actually introduced a buyer?

If you signed paperwork with details of the minimum fee, I think that will normally supersede what you were told beforehand by email, unless you were actually told whether there was a minimum fee. The courts do expect you to read these things before signing ... although if the minimum fee was not made clear and was buried in small print there may at least be an argument to say it doesn't apply.

Check the document you signed for an entire agreement clause. This is a standard clause providing that only the terms in the written contract form part of the contract, and excludes prior statements and representations such as the email.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS