does my friends insurance cover me ?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3802 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

driving my friends car with him in the back seat i was flashed and he has received a speeding ticket.

i don't know if I'm insured or not ??

a) im insured but only as a named driver on my dads policy

b) my friends has fully comp insurance and was in the car when i got flashed (we are both 26years old)

will the DVLA check insurance if i say it was me ??

am i covered by either policy ?

whats my best plan of action?

Generally It's The Policy Holder Ie Your Dad, Who Would Be Insured To Drive Amy Other Car Third Party. Named Drivers, You, Wouldn't Be. Your Friends Insurance Would Only Cover Him, Unless He Had His Car Insured For Any Driver, Not Likely A It's Expensive, But He Might If He NeedeIt Not Much You Can Do Except Hope For Best Although I Don't Think Insurance Is Checked If You Accept Fixed Penalty Offer, Though I May Be Wrong

Had You Been Pulled Over Though Both You And Your Friends Would Have Got Points As He Would Be Responsible For Letting You Drive UN Insured. Car Towed Away At His Cost.

Count Yourself Lucky This Time, Accept The Three Points And Fine And Get It Paid Before It Gets To Court Etc.

You B Never Know Though, There May Have Been No Film In The Camera. Apparently Something Like Half Don't Work Properly

Even if you're the policyholder it's not a given that you'll have cover to drive other cars - not all insurers include it as standard, especially not the cheaper ones. The only way to know for sure is to read your policy documents.

driving my friends car with him in the back seat i was flashed and he has received a speeding ticket.

i don't know if I'm insured or not ??

a) im insured but only as a named driver on my dads policy

b) my friends has fully comp insurance and was in the car when i got flashed (we are both 26years old)

will the DVLA check insurance if i say it was me ??

am i covered by either policy ?

whats my best plan of action?

Best plan of action : don't drive unless you are sure you are insured.

You got "lucky" this time that your friend took the speeding ticket rap, saving you a prosecution for driving without insurance .......

("Lucky" if your friend keeps quiet. If it all comes out, it is conspiracy to pervert the course of justice on top ( a la Chris Huhne / Vicky Pryce))

nothing has been done as ticket didn't come through till friday and i wanted to find out what our options are ,

basically if i tell them it was me and take the points and fine ,hoping they don't relies i wasn't insured!

or

my friend says he was driving and takes points

never driver anybody else's car again after this!

nothing has been done as ticket didn't come through till friday and i wanted to find out what our options are ,

basically if i tell them it was me and take the points and fine ,hoping they don't relies i wasn't insured!

or

A few Police forces check insurance, it's many times more likely for them to check if the declared driver is insured if they have any suspicions as to whether the driver who was declared was the actual driver at the time of the offence

it's many times more likely for them to check if the declared driver is insured if they have any suspicions as to whether the driver who was declared was the actual driver at the time of the offence

I may have missed this, but would they check by asking the Driver to prove insurance or by looking up MIB ?

- if MIB, does that information include named drivers or just the vehicle?

- if they check by asking for proof, are there not time limits from the alleged offence time/date for NIPs re later discovered offences?

PS. I do feel for the OP. Contrite and clearly chastened. It's so much tougher growing up these days than when I tried to.

Good luck.

or

I hope you realise that if "your friend" says that he was driving, he leaves himself open to a charge of perverting the course of justice and spending some time in the slammer. This applies to him AND the person who allowed it to happen. i.e. You

I may have missed this, but would they check by asking the Driver to prove insurance or by looking up MIB ?

- if MIB, does that information include named drivers or just the vehicle?

- if they check by asking for proof, are there not time limits from the alleged offence time/date for NIPs re later discovered offences?.

The MIB (if you have the right access) gives full details of the policy including a list of named drivers.

No insurance doesn't require a NIP - not many offences do. It can be prosecuted up to six months from the date the police become aware it's taken place, up to a maximum of 3 years after te actual offence.