• Tweets

• Okay please go through the disclosure very carefully. I suggest that you use the technique broadly in line with the advice we give on preparing your court bundle. You want to know what is there – but also very importantly you want to know what is not there. For instance, the email that they said they sent you before responding to the SAR – did you see that? Is there any trace of of the phone call that you made to the woman who didn't know anything about SAR's? On what basis was the £50 sent to you? Was it unilateral or did they offer it and you accepted it on some condition? When did they send you this £50 cheque? Have you banked it? Also, I think that we need to start understanding what you have lost here. Have you lost any money – and if so how much? Send the SAR to your bank as advised above
    • In anticipation of lodging my court claim next Weds 1 May (14 days after advising P2G that was my deadline for them to settle my claim) I have completed my first draft POC as below: Claim Claim number: xxxxx Reference: P2G MAY 2024   Claimant xxxxx   Defendant Parcel2Go 1A Parklands Lostock Bolton BL6 4SD  Particulars of Claim The defendant has failed to arrange for the safe delivery of the claimant's parcel containing a 8 secondhand golf clubs (valued at £265) that was sent to a UK address using their delivery service (P2G Reference xxxxx). The defendant contracted Evri to deliver the parcel (Evri Reference xxxxx) and refuses to reimburse the claimant on the grounds that the claimant did not purchase their secondary insurance contract. The defendant seeks to exclude their liability in breach of section 57 Consumer Rights Act. The secondary insurance contract is in breach of section 72. The claimant seeks reimbursement of £265, plus P2G fees of £9.10, plus postage costs for two first class letters to P2G of £2.70, plus court fees, plus interest. The claimant claims interest under section 69 of the County Courts Act 1984 at the rate of 8% a year from xxxxx to xxxxxx on £276.80 and also interest at the same rate up to the date of judgment or earlier payment at a daily rate of £xxxx   Details of claim Amount claimed £276.80 I look forward to your thoughts and comments guys! As ever, many thanks - G59    
    • Hmm, that's strange how they got my email then.  I assume the below is ok to send to DCBL, Nicky?  Hello, I am writing regarding our ongoing dispute and the upcoming court claim reference xxxxxxxx. To ensure fairness and transparency in our communications leading up to the court hearing, I request that you use postal mail exclusively for all further correspondence related to this claim. Please refrain from sending any communication or documents via email. Thank you for your understanding and cooperation. If you have any questions or need clarification, please feel free to contact me via postal mail at the address provided above. Yours sincerely, xxxx
    • In the SAR, I received the original application, lots of computer print outs, yearly statements from 2013 and the new emails regarding my complaint. They sent me a £50 cheque after I chased them for the SAR after the 30 days. They said they was waiting for me to respond to an email (which I never received) before sending the SAR
    • classic P2G. I'm sure dianne and Lesley will pop an email to you at some point.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Misleading train prices?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3799 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Ok, I need to go to to London from Nottingham this Thurs/Fri. On East Midlands Trains website it says this: "Return tickets to London for £38 or less" http://www.eastmidlandstrains.co.uk/travelling-with-us/our-network/trains-to-london/

Ok, now I have been quoted from Nottm to London £17 one way, return journey I am getting stupid figures around £48-90 one way!

The return tickets are coming in at over £120. The above prices are from 2 singles (even with their "best fare finder") - as you can see these figures are way out with their "£38 or less"....

What is going on here?

I drove to London twice before and back to Nottm on £40 worth of diesel. Moreover, I get my own personal space in the car, and dont have to stand around cramped at peak hours, or listen to some drunk rage at off peak times.

I thought public transport was supposed to be cheap?

Edited by noddy997

I went all the way to court to seek compensation for "damage to creditworthiness" against HSBC. I lost unfortunately.

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Ok, I need to go to to London from Nottingham this Thurs/Fri. On East Midlands Trains website it says this: "Return tickets to London for £38 or less" http://www.eastmidlandstrains.co.uk/travelling-with-us/our-network/trains-to-london/

Ok, now I have been quoted from Nottm to London £17 one way, return journey I am getting stupid figures around £48-90 one way!

The return tickets are coming in at over £120. The above prices are from 2 singles (even with their "best fare finder") - as you can see these figures are way out with their "£38 or less"....

What is going on here?

I drove to London twice before and back to Nottm on £40 worth of diesel. Moreover, I get my own personal space in the car, and dont have to stand around cramped at peak hours, or listen to some drunk rage at off peak times.

Overall, I agree rail fares are too high (based on comparing them with equivalent industrialised nations)

However, your "£40 for diesel" doesn't include the other costs of car ownership, including insurance / depreciation, nor the cost of parking (dependant where in London you are parking this can be significant!).

As for "fares from £38 or less", all they need to do is have a fare for £38 and one for £37.95, both actually available in reasonable number, (as opposed to selling one ticket for each and then "sold out"), to avoid being accused of "misleading advertising". By all means complain to the ASA, but if they can demonstrate this, they will be in the clear.

Nothing says they have to be available at those rates for the times you want to travel, though.

It must have taken some considerable time and money to work out a way to fool the public into paying higher than they need to but still stay on the right side of the law.

It's deliberate.

it's probably more to do with the fact that some fares are based upon statute, and some are not.

I seen that too. Problem is, the £25 ticket is at 12:15 - too early for me, later afternoon is £48...

It drops to £22 at 2315 which is too late. I need something after 2pm really!

It was about £3ish for parking (not far off from Nottingham prices 80p for 30mins anyone?) lol

Miss my student rail card courtesy of Natwest :(

I went all the way to court to seek compensation for "damage to creditworthiness" against HSBC. I lost unfortunately.

EErr..who told you that ?

Public transport has never been cheap, especially when compared to other countries and especially trains and even more so where they have a captive market/desperate travelers such as the express routes from the capital to Gatwick and Stansted, etc./

EErr..who told you that ?

Public transport has never been cheap, especially when compared to other countries and especially trains and even more so where they have a captive market/desperate travelers such as the express routes from the capital to Gatwick and Stansted, etc./

Well, if we rewind back when cars were a "luxury" - public transport was aimed at those that could not afford the "luxury" - I might be entirely wrong!

However, your "£40 for diesel" doesn't include the other costs of car ownership, including insurance / depreciation, nor the cost of parking (dependant where in London you are parking this can be significant!).

I dont want to start a pointless debate, but one thing, in my opinion, cars are probably safer than trains as you got no forms of restraint and safety features in trains such as seatbelts and airbags. The likelihood of an injury increases for passengers standing up "toe to heal" lol.

As car users we have to ensure all safety aspects via an MOT and you would expect with the ever increasing rail prices safety would be considered as a major role. Even public buses dont have seatbelts yet they are on the road, I really dont understand these loopholes/grey areas! :???:

Back on topic: a trip to the rail station, the prices are stil the same as the website. However, I can still get a rail card lol (I thought you had to be a student for that).

I dont want to start a pointless debate, but one thing, in my opinion, cars are probably safer than trains as you got no forms of restraint and safety features in trains such as seatbelts and airbags. The likelihood of an injury increases for passengers standing up "toe to heal" lol.

If you don't want to start a debate, let alone one you say is "pointless", don't post unjustified tosh.

The carnage on the roads largely goes unreported, as it is commonplace whereas rail incidents are rarer and more newsworthy.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/tsgb-2011-transport-accidents-and-casualties

Excluding suicides, in 2010/11 there were 40 fatalities on the National Rail network, a 43 per cent fall from 2009/10 when there were 70. This reduction is mainly due to a large fall in the number of trespassers killed, 27 of whom were killed in 2010/11 compared to 50 the year before. There were also 8 passenger fatalities,1 member of the workforce and 4 members of the public (excluding trespassers).

Excluding attempted suicides, there were 395 major injuries in 2010/11 compared to 396 the previous year. This number has fallen by 21 per cent since 2001/02. Overall casualties rose by 2 per cent from 12,585 in 2009/10 to 12,841 in 2010/11, although this follows six consecutive years of falls.

Road:

In 2010 there were a total of 208,648 reported road casualties of all severities, 39 per cent lower than in 1990. A total of 1,850 people were killed, 65 per cent lower than in 1990, 22,660 were seriously injured (down 63 per cent) and 184,138 were slightly injured (down 33 per cent).

So, 2010/11.

13 rail fatalities in non-trespassers/non-suicides, against 1,850 killed on the roads.

395 rail major injuries against 22,660 on the roads,

12,841 rail casualties, against 184,138 on the roads.

Adjusted for distance covered:

The passenger casualty rate in train accidents and movement accidents has fallen from 36.7 casualties per billion passenger kilometres in 2001/02 to 26.4 in 2010/11. The fatality and major injury rate has fallen from 1.2 to 0.9 over the same period.

The (albeit 2012) figure for road fatalities per 1 billion vehicle-km covered : 3.6 (from 1754 fatalities), from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_traffic-related_death_rate#cite_note-54

Rates of 0.9 for both fatalities and major injury, (40+395, so 435 cases).

So the rate for the 40 fatalities alone is 0.9 * 40 / 435, or 0.083 per billion passenger km

Excluding the trespassers, this is 0.9 * 13 /435, or 0.027 per billion passenger km.

0.027 per billion passenger km vs. 3.6 per billion vehicle-km

Admittedly, one vehicle might have more than one passenger ; but not the 133 (on average) that would be needed to make the fatality rates equivalent.

Edited by BazzaS

I'm surprised the OP is even considering travelling by rail when their perception of train travel is so poor.

The only 'advantage' in complaining to the ASA will be to make the TOC spend money defending your complaint, period.

The ASA are either a welcome regulatory body who watch out for genuine interests or an unelected PITA who act as judge, jury and executioner on spurious or downright false claims depending on your experience.

I'm surprised the OP is even considering travelling by rail when their perception of train travel is so poor.

The only 'advantage' in complaining to the ASA will be to make the TOC spend money defending your complaint, period.

The ASA are either a welcome regulatory body who watch out for genuine interests or an unelected PITA who act as judge, jury and executioner on spurious or downright false claims depending on your experience.

I doubt it would cost the TOC that much, if anything.

The "complaint" might not even get past the ASA's initial screening process, if they did a few fare searches for the less popular times, and found fares as advertised.

If so, the first the TOC might know of it is when the ASA find no further investigation needed and case closed.

Unfortunately Bazza, the asa doesn't do much checking IME, they take it as read the complainant is correct and force the respondent company to defend themselves by actually stating the facts.

Or so they told me anyway: you couldn't make it up! If someone wanted to drive a one man band or small business into bankruptcy they could reply on the ASA to help thats for sure!

To me "£38 or less" means a maximum of £38 or LESS, not MORE! How do you justify that? And for those that said "all you have to do is find a fare at £38 and one at £37.95" - but that still does not cover "£38 or LESS".

@ Bazza - having a bit of common sense is not "tosh" compared to stats. I came back today (on the train) it was packed, many people were forced to stand up, if the train derailed, or the emergency break was applied because one idiot decided to play "chicken" on the tracks (a recent increase, which is a fact for you since your a person of facts) - how many of those standing would be shunted forward? Plus those that would be jolted in their seats, multiply that by 8 carriages.

Then I got on the bus from the train station, overly packed, many people standing, some were standing on the upper deck - the sign that says "no standing on upper deck" is very small and in the corner - buses operate on the road, yet they're exempt from seatbelts and poor health and safety signs?

And please quit ranting about ASA or any other regulatory body as they're are few corrupt ones here and there that dont do much for consumers. "The big get bigger, the small get smaller".

To me "£38 or less" means a maximum of £38 or LESS, not MORE! How do you justify that? And for those that said "all you have to do is find a fare at £38 and one at £37.95" - but that still does not cover "£38 or LESS".

@ Bazza - having a bit of common sense is not "tosh" compared to stats. I came back today (on the train) it was packed, many people were forced to stand up, if the train derailed, or the emergency break was applied because one idiot decided to play "chicken" on the tracks (a recent increase, which is a fact for you since your a person of facts) - how many of those standing would be shunted forward? Plus those that would be jolted in their seats, multiply that by 8 carriages.

Then I got on the bus from the train station, overly packed, many people standing, some were standing on the upper deck - the sign that says "no standing on upper deck" is very small and in the corner - buses operate on the road, yet they're exempt from seatbelts and poor health and safety signs?

And please quit ranting about ASA or any other regulatory body as they're are few corrupt ones here and there that dont do much for consumers. "The big get bigger, the small get smaller".

"Return fares to London £38 or less" means just that : one fare at £38, and one less!, so the £38 and £37.95 example I gave does cover it.

If they ALL had to be £38 or less, it would be "ALL return fares to London £38 or less".

The website you cited also notes "we have thousands of return journeys .... at £38 or less", NOT "ALL our return journeys ..... are £38 or less"

If you can't comprehend English, its no wonder you can't comprehend the statistics either!

The train may be "packed", but the frequency of accidents is far lower compared with the carnage on the roads, leading to the statistics I've quoted.

I recently traveled 100 miles up the M6 : passing 3 separate accidents causing delays, 2 of which still had the ambulances present.

Admittedly, this is anecdote rather than evidence, just for 1 trip, but having worked with the emergency services I've seen many more "road" casualties than "rail" casualties.

When it "goes wrong" on the Railways it can go "very wrong" (Greyrigg, Potters Bar, Clapham Junction), but this is overshadowed by the road's low-level (of "death per incident ") but constant level (incidents per day) of death & serious injury.

Edited by BazzaS

No ranting involved - I gave both a complainants and respondents POV and can't be a rant by definition.

Complain to them by all means though.

Frankly when I see a fare price at £38 or less I would tend to think that in certain circumstances (such as railcard discounts) the fare will be less than this lowest price special offer.

It doesn't make me think a 1st class peak ticket from x to y will be £38 and everything else less.

Opinion noted however.

As for standing on buses - if every single seat was taken on both floors and people were standing then I'd complain as this us obviously a h&s breach.

If people choose to stand when seats are there however that's their choice.

Jam packed trains were subject to a safety report a few years back which ironically found that standing passengers were LESS at risk in the event of a collision - I'm surer someone with the correct references to its report will show a link if you're interested?