Something Interesting in Old Paperwork

adridude
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3806 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Ello,

What's the penalty issued to a business using the full electoral register (i.e. non commercial) one for gaining personal details for fishing expeditions?

they deny ever fishing, but I've got their first ever letter to my address, which read something to the order of :

Dear Occupier,

We have been instructed to contact Mr Adrian Middle Surname regarding an outstanding account with XYZ County City Council under Account #1234567.

If you a re Mr Adrian Middle Surname,

please contact us ASAP to discuss the outstanding balance of £123.56;

However if you are nor Mr Adrian Middle Surname,

please contact us and let us know.

Thats not the exact wording as I don't have it at hand, but it's just to give you an idea of what the fishing letter looked like.

When I get a chance tomorrow, I'll get a scanned copy of it and transcribe it.

But the example I gave above is pretty much the same as whats on the letter, just worded differently.

1) Can they use the full register? As it's rather clear on my local councils website that it's only used for Voting, Crime Prevention and checking applications for credit.

2) Can they go on fishing expeditions like that blurting my FULL name, account details etc... out to any old address like that?

I would have thought that it should have been an anonymous 'please call us' letter as opposed to listing everything

3) Dependent on 1 and 2 above, what action can I take against these guys? If any?

Cheers

A

My understanding is anyone can go to the local library and consult the Register. The "edited" register is sold to all and sundry and you have to opt out of that one. From your letter it would appear that the council have provided the details to a company to follow up from the details that they held. So it may not necessarily have come from the Electoral Register.

I'm not jumping to any conclusions but regardless of whether this letter is for you or not if a council is pursuing something then it is extremely sensible to get onto to it and sort it out. Councils do very readily go down the court route and bailiff route if they are ignored. It would be terrible if bailiffs were involved for no reason.

Cheers!

Thats a common phishing letter.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

@Kapt:

The council in question is on the other end of the country from me,

and as far as my council say (my current one) is that the register I'm on is not for commercial use.

There's no other way to get my personal address as I'm ex directory,

companies house have omitted my personal address from my director record and that's about it.

What I'm getting at, is that despite fishing or no fishing,

they literally divulged my name in full (including middle names),

the account it was in connection with (I checked,it listed the address the council tax bill was for),

the amount and my reference number.

Bailiffs were involved back in 09,

but it was a stupid mistake (maybe it was done on purpose),

but what they did was send me a letter stating if I paid £200

-something in full that the bill would be settled in full.

What they did was split the amount on the Liability order into two separate years

and deal with the bills individually rather than in one go as the courts had noted in the liability order.

Thanks to that stunt, I wound up with a further £150 off extra bailiff charges (which is literally all that's left on the account) :-/

Not only that,

but I'm disputing the amount in question too as they billed me until the end of March 07.

Funnily enough I moved out just before new years and had a place with my partner about 100 odd miles away.

Despite sending them evidence of me being there i.e. doctor signups, work pay slips, electoral role

and a short stint on JSA they refuse to accept this :-/

The letting agent at the time is no longer in service so I'm literally tied to this bill despite it not being correct :-/

stay off that phone to the bailifficon follow this:

if you can pay you should be paying the council

direct via your internet banking site

never ever pay a bailiff.

Here is something to be getting on with. First of all establish from the Council how much was owing etc You need to speak to someone at the Council and ask the following questions:

1 - how many Liability Orders they have against you

2 - the dates they were obtained

3 - the addresses they were for

4 - the period of time each covers

5 - how much each one was for

6 - how much is still outstanding

7 - the dates they were passed on for enforcement

8 - the dates & amounts of any payments

Next you need to send off for a breakdown of the charges the Bailiff applied. Here's an example, use and adapt at will and best sent initially by email backed up by a copy in the post.

"From:

My Name

My Address

To:

Acme Bailiff Co

Bailiff House

Ref: Account No: 123456

Dear Sir

With reference to the above account, Can you please provide me with a breakdown of the charges.

This includes:

a - the time & date of any Bailiff action that incurred a Fee.

b - the reason for the fee.

c - the name(s) of the Bailiff(s) that attended on each occasion a Fee was charged.

d - the name(s) of the Court(s) the Bailiff(s) was/were certificatedicon at.

e - the date of the Certification.

This is not a Subject access requesticon under the Data Protection Act S7 1998 so does not incur a fee of £10. You are obliged to provide this information.

I require this information within 14 days.

Yours faithfully

Ripped off customer"

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

to cut it short:

1) Too late, paid Rossendales Collect as they were the guys who sent me the 'pay this for the full and final' letter. I no longer have it as a previous landlord has since rinsed me of all worldly possessions including my filing cabinet contents, which is being resolved. However, Nottingham council to have a recotrd of a lump sum paid. It refers to a pre-paid credit card I used to pay DCA's before cash accounts could have Visa Electron :)

2) Council will not accept payment for me: reason, they don't take accounts back from bailiffs (is Advantis even a Bailiff firm), I sled how much they were receiving from the 'bailiffs' (Advantis credit) and my exact note at the time were:

11 Apr 2013 09:15 Unknown Male Notts CC Confirmed Initial balance was £361.86 when sent to Advantis, I asked to have the account moved back to Nottingham council bout she told me that the council don't get accounts back from bailiffs until they're paid or for other reasons. Person said that they were only receiving instalments of about £3.75

@dx100k: Is a liability order only fective after court? being in a court for the first time, some lady came up toy me, old me that she can arrange the bailiffs to take £3 a month (or something low like that). It was suggested that it's simpler that I sign the piece of paper (to date I don't know what it is being naive then) and being refused by both the council and Rosendales to get a copy?

on to 3)The address is constant and correct, I can't fault this.

4) Period is incorrect. I was charged until the end of March 2--7 (by memory as I have no paperwork, but this was confirmed with an informal conversation witt Notts City Council.

5) I have NO idea, I've requested paperwork from both Nottingham council who refer the matter to Advantis Credit, which in turn state, that there is no Consumer Credit Obligations etc..... So as far as I know, a dead end.

n/b/ I did ask with a new thread about a SAR coverage and CitizenB shoved up a DSAR, which I guess is just an extended SAR. But I do like the dam-buster approach of it.

Will that help in this situation?

6) £255.00, but advantis say its a few £ more, notts council, *cough* refer me back to advantis.

7) spmehere between 2008 and 2009. As far as I remember, without paperwork which a previous landlord broke in and disposed of (amongst other things), the 'full and fins statement' I mention earlier, is no longer available, but Nottingham C.Council confirm it was so (a split bill) and I'm sure if I rile up Virgin enough, I'll get my account details back dating that far back.

8) This was really spotty and all over the place in the beginning. Since I established base here in 2010, I;'ve kept strict and 100% accurate records checked both monthly and yearly.

Is that request for a breakdown sent to w (the fir who sent the bailiffs) or to the council. As far as I know, I haven't been noticed of any bailiff charges from the Council. It is possible that Rossendales guy did pop me an invoice in the postbox, but I'm unable to get clear answer out off both Nottingham Council or Rossendales. it seems to have vanished.

The only concern I have at the moment is that I have a payment arrangement in place. Its' more to get the Scheißters off my back. So far so good, they aren't as bad as some of them in my past. yet, they won't give any details of the debt and play ping ping with my calling number to number up...

My MAIN issue is how am I supposed to defend myself, with obvious proof that I lived elsewhere, paid tax elsewhere, worked elsewhere, sh*t even stood in for guardianship for kids elsewhere, yet the council, despite knowing I was in Worksop, desicide to mail me in Nottingham?

I've sent them ALL proof, original from the DPW, my employer in Worksop, the details of the address I was at, the details of the address the kids were at, the details of the GP with confirmation letters.

I'm at a loss as to what more I can do?

Cheers,

A

i'll pop in tonight

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight...