BankFodder BankFodder

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 2382 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hi All,

First post hope you can help.

I recently came the end of a 6 month tenancy I gave notice to move out on the rent due date of month 5 (last day of month)

I then vacated the property and moved into new place that same week (7oct) after paying full months rent on the 1st Oct (House was burglarised twice in same week, Didn't feel comfortable staying there so just got out)

The tenancy at my old address then formally was ended on the 31st of Oct and the checking out was done on the 1st Nov they then returned my FULL deposit to me on the 10th.

However I have today received an email from my previous letting agent saying that as the check out was done on the 1st of November I owe 2 weeks rent....even though they re-let the property beginning of Nov?

This sounds fishy to me and of course I have no intention of paying them a penny unless of course I am legally obliged to.

Anyone know where I stand with this? As they have returned full deposit I assume they have no leg to stand on?

Thanks all

By letting out the property they have mitigated any losses they made so cant claim them from you. You might owe a days rent of course.

Doesn't matter what LA thinks, what does LL say?

What dtae did you return the keys?

Doesn't matter what LA says, only the LL

What date did you return the keys?

If on or before 31 Oct (end of FT or expiry of valid NTQ), on a business day, they cannot charge you even one extra day rent for 1st Nov. IMO

Why was checkout arranged for 1st Nov? Did you try and arrange it earlier than then?

From what you say, it sounds suspicious. It's almost as though they've set a figure that they *think* you might pay without complaining. Are they a regulated and well-run agency?