Car died!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3795 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

Bought an 02 plate Vauxhall Vectra on 7th September. Today it died. 130k on the clock but looked in good condition. (famous last words)

The breakdown mechanics said the engine was spinning too fast on cranking suggesting that there was little or no compression.

Even though I topped the oil up a couple of weeks ago, today my dipstick wasn't long enough :-(

I am going to email the trader soon and see what he has to say. I am suspecting they will try to wash their hands of it.

This thread is just so I have a list of any progress I make.

I don't want to invoke SoGA as yet but I will only give them one opportunity.

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

Sudden death with an easy spinning engine could be cam belt.

Take a peek in the oil cap hole and if you can see any cam/valve parts, then get someone to spin it over while you look in the hole to see if there is any movement or remove the dist cap (if it has one) and see if that is spinning.

Tried that! Under the oil filler cap is a splash shield so we (the mechanics and I) couldn't see the cam shaft.

It could be the cam chain ( no belt on this car) a the oil sprayer on some models was prone to blockage causing the chain to break.

I have emailed the seller and I hope for a reply tomorrow. I may have to take the rocker cover off to look tomorrow and possibly do a compression test as I have the kit.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Remove the rocker cover and check there before doing the compression test or you could do more damage with all the turning over for the compression readings.

If you have a distributor instead of individual coils, you can remove the cap on that and see if the rotor is turning as that is driven by the cam.

Well I emailed the seller and they responded this morning asking for a phone number to 'resolve this as quickly as possible' so hopefully they will do something.

Coil pack so no rotor :-(

The amount of times the engine was turned over by the mechanics yesterday will have stuffed the valves already (on the assumption that it is the chain)

The car cost £950 and it it is the chain, this will be an expensive job to repair

I'm not going to do anything to the car until I get a response from the seller

Is it a reputable dealer ?

Not that I am aware of. They run a breakers yard and they buy and sell. I can't find any negative remarks on the net.

The invoice states that they do not offer warranties however, they will try to assist wherever possible.

It is a family run firm as well.

No call as yet

Well, Spoke to the dealer who was (in my opinion) quite helpful.

Firstly, I ought to sat the purchase price was inclusive of 6 months tax so roughly the price was £800. I have already cashed that in once I got my disabled disc

The dealer said to look on his website and pick a different car and they would give me a 'generous' allowance on it.

The car I chose(03 Peugeot) was priced at £1,195 (11 months MOT, tax till end of Jan). After little haggling I got the new car for £600. Yes this means I have lost £200 on my old car but I will be back on the road by this afternoon :-) They are going to deliver the 'new' car to me and uplift the old one.

All in all, not too bad and the seller was very easy to deal with. No real arguing the toss. No 'Sold as seen'

I think I ought to take it back.

A bulb blew today :lol:

I think you should tell us, who they are.

As they seemed reasonable!!

We are all too quick to name, and rubbish companies

Good news anyway.... well done !

The company is Barretts car and van sales of Aldeby near Beccles in Suffolk.

I happened to notice that there was no spare wheel so contacted them and they sorted me one no problem

Ruddy bulb cost me £7 though. :jaw: Glad I didn't get it from Halfords

Thank your lucky stars that it doesn't have H.I.D bulbs -they are £100 each !. By the way,Vectra petrol engines do have timing belts ( not chains - only the diesel has a chain ). If the belt has gone, you would be looking at a ball park figure of £1000 - £1200 to repair the engine correctly, more if done by a main dealer and probably more than the car is worth.