Parking Eye defence help. **Won at POPLA**

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3728 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi there. Well as of September this year, I was hit with a parking charge after over staying by 13 minutes in Fistral Beach car park in Cornwall. Little did I know, there is apparently a 20 minute allowance to make up your mind whether you wish to park or not and due to an extended phone call at the time I unfortunately overstayed this time by 13 minutes. Parking Eye demanded £100 for the charge which I have refused to pay and appealed against. They sent me the POPLA information and using information from this site, mentioned that this is an unfair amount to be charging me in reflection of the actual revenue lost.

POPLA have now let me know that PE will be sending POPLA and myself their evidence before the 7th of January.

Basically what I'm asking today is, do I have a fighting chance at this or will I be put over the barrel and made to pay and more?

You have a 99.99% chance of winning. Sit tight and the regulars will be around to help you out.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

I cant recall exactly what I wrote but I stated that it was an indemonstrable amount that they were charging from me, parking eye doesn't actually own the land, I wasn't robbing them of any spaces as the car park wasn't even half full and I didn't even park up and I mentioned about the Bill Of Rights that they can't actually fine me anything until it goes to trial.

Worst comes to worst and I lose then so be it but I wasn't about to hand over 100 quid to company like PE without making it as difficult as possible for them.

All done and an email straight away verifying it has been received. If from day one they had simply asked me to cough up the cost of the minimum ticket to cover the losses I would of been completely fine with that but how they can expect to charge astronomical fees such as that for a £1 if that ticket is beyond me. Thanks for the help though and I'm sure I'll be posting with updates following their reply.

Just be glad clamping is illegal now.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

• 1 month later...

I'd like to thank everyone for help and advice offered to my son on this matter. He accepted he should have made sure he got a ticket but due to circumstances at the time, didn't (I won't re-hash all the details again). If this had led to a request for a reasonable admin charge (£10) and cost of a ticket to cover the time he was actually there, this could have been dealt with amicably and reasonably at a very early stage. Instead, the parking companies are determined to try and take as much as possible from people, through what I can only describe as intimidation and fear.

In any case, fortunately for my son I was aware of this site and pointed him here. He followed the advice on appealing and going to POPLA, and has received a decision from POPLA this week. The charge of £100 Private Eye were demanding has been dismissed on the grounds of not being a genuine pre-estimate of loss, despite all the paperwork submitted by Parking Eye (as mentioned in other threads, they included staff costs, equipment costs etc.)

He has been unable to post all the paperwork relating to the case, but it did include a lot of information many on here may be interested in, as they continually mentioned how they had defeated claimants in court who used advice from online forums. They have included case numbers too, so as soon as I can get it copied and remove his personal details, I'll post on his behalf.

Yet again, many thanks! And I'm sure he will be happy to make a donation to the group from the money he's saved!

[ATTACH]48581[/ATTACH]

Hi, these are some of the docs sent to my son. 42 pages of information and "evidence" that Parking Eye sent to POPLA. I removed the images of signs, and some of the spelling and phrases may seem wrong, but it was a conversion of pdf files.

The information about other court cases that deal with pre-estimate of loss and ParkingEye are on about 3rd page in.

Thanks again.

PS I'll post a copy of the POPLA decision letter when I can make a copy.

Edited by smokiejoe
Update

They always send that out, even when they have been told to discontinue their attempt to get money by the store. It is all bull as none of it was at a higher court so it doesnt set a precedent. Most of it is their brief's opinion anyway and who would hire a barrister who didnt agree with you.

• 4 weeks later...

No genuine pre-estimate of costs. The claim by PE was for what are known as "establishment costs" and anyone who has done GCSE business studies will know that.

So, another challenge successful, well done for sticking with it. Now you know how little strength there is in parking company claims and without their clamps it is a wonder anyone bothers to pay.

This is not to condone inconsiderate misuse of someone else's lnad or facilities supplied to their customers, just that it must become apparent to these big store chains that employing these bandits isnt going to solve their problems and antagonises their customers. My wife will never go back to Aldi because of the demand from PE, despite the demand being cancelled and Aldi having a contract for free parking forced upon them under unlateral contract law.