just a quick question

postmn
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3801 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have a 2 yr old well 3 now and it has to have its major service , the dealer I brought it from has quoted £360 for the 40,000 service however its only done 24k . if I go to my local garage that we have used for donkys years would it invalid the extended warrently as long as they do it to the service schedule and use correct parts.

needly to say he will probably be cheaper

postmn,I did the same thing with my car,jeep,the main dealer wanted way more than the local garage,as long as the local garage does the service and uses the proper parts,ie filters it does not invalidate your warranty,it used to years ago but a few years ago there was a big change europe wide regards warranties,go ahead and get it done with your local garage with confidence

postmn,I did the same thing with my car,jeep,the main dealer wanted way more than the local garage,as long as the local garage does the service and uses the proper parts,ie filters it does not invalidate your warranty,it used to years ago but a few years ago there was a big change europe wide regards warranties,go ahead and get it done with your local garage with confidence

Er.....no. This is not exactly true.

It depends on the manufacturer and the warranty supplied. In the first year it is true that you can do this but you need to watch the terms and conditions of the subsequent years.

What you may have signed up for appears to be a manufacturers warranty but is in fact an insurance policy administered by the manufacturer. If you signed such a document agreeing to a second and third year warranty FOC then it is essentially an insurance policy and you have to agree to abide by the terms and conditions i.e. use a franchised dealer.

Many people get caught out by this thinking that under eu law they can get it serviced anywhere but the reality is it only applies to the first year. 2nd and 3rd years have to go to the dealer with most manufacturers.

It's important that you stick to the letter with these things as if you need to call upon goodwill at a later stage or even if a failure occurs within the time it might be thanks but no thanks.

Block Exemption Regulation is an exemption in a business line or industry, which debars organizations in the industry from some business activities in order to create competition. The regulation is highly known in the automobile industry due to the effect caused by the BER regulations from the European Commission.[1][2] BER has changed the automobile industry in the last decade.[3] Prior to 2003 automobile owners in the EU region risk nullifying their vehicle warranty when the vehicles were serviced or repaired in workshops not belonging to the vehicle manufacturer or its dealers. This barrier was broken in October 2003, when the European Commission (EC) passed a law allowing vehicle owners the freedom of having their servicing and repairs done at their chosen workshop.[4]

According to the UK Department of Business Education & Skills, the empowerment created by this law provides competition in the automobile industry as vehicle owners now have the opportunity to repair and service their vehicle at alternative workshops to the automobile manufacturers. BER provides automobile users the flexibility and benefit to reduce the amount spent on servicing, thereby providing consumers more choice and better value for money

That block exemption is for new car warranty only and not insurance based 2nd hand warrantys sold by franchises were it actually stipulates you must use the franchise dealer to maintain your warranty.

Mitsubishi does a 5 year 125,000 mile warranty on their L200 pickup, the first 3 years is manufacturers where you can get your car serviced by fred in a shed providing he follows the manufacturers service schedule and uses parts of an equilivant quality, however the final 2 years are an insurance bought warranty to top it up to 5 years paid by the importer and to maintain those two years it has to be serviced by the franchise dealer.

right postmn,suggest you check the small print of your particular extended warranty which you seem to have and move on from there,these extended warranties dont seem to be worth the trouble though,anything goes wrong and they put it down to wear and tear

Don't confuse manufacturers extended warranties with 2nd hand used car warranties. They are not the same and operate very differently. They are though in most cases an insurance policy which is why you need to check carefully the terms and conditions of the 2nd year onwards.

Service periods are often 12000 miles or 12 months, 24000 miles or 24 months or 36000 miles 36 months. Components can and will fail even at low mileage. I guess the dealer is doing a 36000 mile service because of the age of the car not the mileage. Pay the money and have it done with peace of mind. Cut corners now and you will end up with a hefty bill down the line.

well thought I would give you a update went for its service today and low and behold;d they find something wrong a oil leak that they want over £600 to repair . the funny thing is when I said well claim it thogh the warrently . the guy said I didn't know you had a warrenty. interesting to see what he comes back with . (Tell you the truth consiudering it had its last service done in December 2012 and I have only done 8k in it (its at 25k now) I am rapidly loosing all faith in peugeout cars