Housing benefit over payment

Sperry11
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3807 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I need some advise please I completley forgot to advise housing benefit that I had a pay rise by 7.50 extra a week this was in April didn't take affect until may and it came to my attention in November that I had failed to advise the housing benefit people of the increase as soon as I realised I called them straight away they then advised to write a letter advise of my error offer to pay back any overpayments and provide evidence of the increase which I have done and handed in straight away I'm now massively worried after reading posts on here that I'm going to get done for fraud when I haven't intentionally meant to withold information and as soon as I realised my error I reported it straight away can someone tell me what's going to happen to me in a single mum and only claiming housing benefit and wtc and ct :(:(:(

As long as you have reported your change in circumstances now there shouldn't be a problem. However, you will be expected to pay back any overpayment that you have received. If you are still entitled to Housing Benefit on your current circumstances it is likely that any overpayment will be recovered out of any on going benefit. If your income is too high for you to qualify now the Housing Benefit Department should be able to discuss an arrangement with you.

As long as you have reported your change in circumstances now there shouldn't be a problem. However, you will be expected to pay back any overpayment that you have received. If you are still entitled to Housing Benefit on your current circumstances it is likely that any overpayment will be recovered out of any on going benefit. If your income is too high for you to qualify now the Housing Benefit Department should be able to discuss an arrangement with you.

Thanks put my mind at ease a little will I have to go to one of those iuc even though I have realised my error informed them apologised offered to pay the money back after all if I hadn't of realised it would of probably gone unnoticed by them for months

Each Local Authority deals with cases differently. If they have already started investigating you for a fraudulent claim you could very well be asked to attend an IUC. If they haven't I wouldn't think they would go down the route of ICU. To put your mind at rest I would suggest that you contact your Housing Benefit Department and ask them these questions direct.

Someone help please I can't eat or sleepy with the worry

Hi Sperry11,

It can be a bit slow at the weekends, you'll more than likely find there's more people available to help you tomorrow.

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

Each Local Authority deals with cases differently. If they have already started investigating you for a fraudulent claim you could very well be asked to attend an IUC. If they haven't I wouldn't think they would go down the route of ICU. To put your mind at rest I would suggest that you contact your Housing Benefit Department and ask them these questions direct.

I am not under any kind of investigation as far as i know of fingers crossed they advise of the overpayment amount and I can pay what I owe back my own fault I know ! :(

I have an over payment of about £250 due to my council seeming to always be on a mission to mess about with peoples benefit even though you haven't told them your income has changed! You have to be on the ball with them because it's their job, they don't seem to know what they are doing. I rang them too like you, asking are you over paying me now this is going on too long? (I was paying double what I should be towards my rent for a month due to them sorting tax credits out, kids leaving school & going to college, but I didn't argue it because I was told it would sort itself out when tax credits updated them, it then went down to zero rent to pay which went on for 6 weeks, I assumed that was because of me over paying rent for a month, but when it got to 6 weeks I had a feeling it wasn't right. if I hadn't rang them they would have just carried on over paying me!) I am struggling to see how it adds up to £250 at the moment but been waiting for a new award letter, which hasn't arrived so I don't know what my benefit is.

I have to pay it back at 20 odd quid a week, but no mention of IUC. I think they do that with amounts over £500 as standard here, but your council might be different.