Benefits help needed - my son

Helen2264
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3469 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi Everyone,

I am on Income Support and receiving Child Benefit and Child Tax Credit for my 19 years old son, he will be 20 years old in January, I was told by both CB and CT that my son can receive those as he is under 20 years old and is a full time student, he has just enrol for his new course and I am wondering what hours does the Housing Benefit class as full time studying!

I have the papers for proof for his studying from his College, they have put on the start date and end date for the course! which is Sept 2013 until 26/6/2014 start from 9-00am to 5-00pm!

I have already rang my local authority and will take the hard copy to them as they suggested because the would not accept a photo copy that is no problem, but I am now very worried after seeing a thread on here very recently about someone studying for their course and could not take exam all day as they were classed as not available for work, I do not want my son being hassle by either the DWP or Ingeus he is studying hard at the moment and wants to go straight to work once he finishes his study, I am also helping him to look for Apprenticeship job whilst he is studying!

Can someone please tell me how many hours does the Housing Benefit class as full time studying???

Thanks in advance!

helen

Edited by Helen2264

• 1 month later...

Hello Everyone,

I am on income Support under ill health, I receive Housing benefit, child benefit and child tax credit, my son is 19+ will be 20 yrs old in January 20th 2014.

Last year he started a full time AAT course which last for 5 years at college, he was doing AAT level 2 and 3 the course was paid in full by the government because he was 18 years old when he enrolled for the course at that time, he was at college for 2 days a week.

I've let my local authority know about his course and gave them the necessary proof documents there was no change in my benefits and still claimed as lone parent, my son don't claim any benefit because the child benefit and tax benefit said because he is in education he can receive those benefits until he reach 20 years old.

This year he enrolled for the Level 4 of that course and was told he had to applied for student loan because he is 19 years old and the government has stopped paying for courses to anyone reaching 19 years! The college help him to applied for student loan and he carried on with that course, last week we received a letter from The Student Loan Company saying he is not entitled to student loan, he took the letter to his college and was told by his tutor and other college staff he can still get the loan because he is 19 also they've all said the course is full time. I've also asked the college if the course was full time or not because I have to let the local authority know, it took them all this time to reply by letter which I received today saying that the course is only 7 hours one day a week, he does spent another whole day doing project work for the course and goes in the college to use their computer and library.

I obviously need show the local authority that letter and now I am worrying about the hours they've written on the letter which the local authority will say it's a part time course the college did not mention about the full day he spent doing the project work.

I know I will probably have problem with both my local authority and perhaps the child benefit and child tax credit offices, I intend to tell them straight away first thing on Monday.

Can someone please tell me what would happen to my Income support, housing benefit and both the child and tax credit benefit. Also he'll probably have to stop doing hat course as of the following week coming because he is not entitle for the student loan.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Many thanks in advance

:(

Depends on the level of the course. My son did his BTEC last two years, failed to get the required points for uni and is now doing his HND in Biology, i know get nothing for him as the course is classed as university level. You may still get IS and HB but again depending on the level of the course it may affect your CB and CTC. Best thing is to bite the bullet and rind CB on Monday who will be able to confirm what level the course is and if you are still entitled to payments, either way they will notify CTC who will update your claim. Dont leave it as this could get you into debt with over payments. Understand how difficult it is as im also a single parent xx

Depends on the level of the course. My son did his BTEC last two years, failed to get the required points for uni and is now doing his HND in Biology, i know get nothing for him as the course is classed as university level. You may still get IS and HB but again depending on the level of the course it may affect your CB and CTC. Best thing is to bite the bullet and rind CB on Monday who will be able to confirm what level the course is and if you are still entitled to payments, either way they will notify CTC who will update your claim. Dont leave it as this could get you into debt with over payments. Understand how difficult it is as im also a single parent xx

Thank you for your reply, I intend to tell CB CTC straight away, he was doing AAT Level 4 since 19th September, he won't be going on Monday as I received letter from his college also stating the hours per week which is 7 hours. The Student Loan Company said he will not get anything. Looks like I owe 2 months worth of CB and CTC since the college took all that time to let us know the course is only 7 hours, several people at the college told my son the course is full time but the letter says different, I will explain to CB and CTC that i've only just received the letter today, same with the student loan the college said my son is entitled that's why he carried on with his course until we got a letter last week saying he is not getting anything, I am in a mess because of the college.

Edited by Helen2264

Don't worry you wont have to pay anything back your payments will just be adjusted to take into account the overpayment for the last few months, it will mean they will be lower but i found ive had to cut back in other areas to compensate for the difference.

Level. 3 is A level and level 4 is HNC, which is first year of uni.

There's something on gov.uk about this. Will have a look for you when I am home and have laptop access.

Thank you for your help, on Monday I shall get the CB and CTC sorted straight away and explain the situation.

Don't worry you wont have to pay anything back your payments will just be adjusted to take into account the overpayment for the last few months, it will mean they will be lower but i found ive had to cut back in other areas to compensate for the difference.

Thank you Haven what about the CB and CTC, perhaps I'll have problem there? I know my Income Support will be lower and that my son will have to claim JSA dear lord, I am worrying for him because of the way people get treated by dwp keepong fingers crossed he'll find a job as soon as possible! In a way I feel relieved to know where I am, I've spent the last 2 months in limbo, stressed out the lot.

Although it is 7 hours this is normally split over 2 days with each module being approximately 3 hours. When I did my BA a few years ago, we never went into university every day, but it was still regarded as a full time course.

Thank you Haven what about the CB and CTC, perhaps I'll have problem there? I know my Income Support will be lower and that my son will have to claim JSA dear lord, I am worrying for him because of the way people get treated by dwp keepong fingers crossed he'll find a job as soon as possible! In a way I feel relieved to know where I am, I've spent the last 2 months in limbo, stressed out the lot.

I know how you feel, spent the last few weeks wondering how on earth we will cope financially. My son still has not got his student finance (he applied end of August) but lucky that he works but i still have to put a roof over his head etc. It always better to deal with the problems then to put your head in the sand. Need anything else just let me know and good luck xx

Hello Everyone,

I am on income Support under ill health, I receive Housing benefit, child benefit and child tax credit, my son is 19+ will be 20 yrs old in January 20th 2014.

Last year he started a full time AAT course which last for 5 years at college, he was doing AAT level 2 and 3 the course was paid in full by the government because he was 18 years old when he enrolled for the course at that time, he was at college for 2 days a week.

I've let my local authority know about his course and gave them the necessary proof documents there was no change in my benefits and still claimed as lone parent, my son don't claim any benefit because the child benefit and tax benefit said because he is in education he can receive those benefits until he reach 20 years old.

This year he enrolled for the Level 4 of that course and was told he had to applied for student loan because he is 19 years old and the government has stopped paying for courses to anyone reaching 19 years! The college help him to applied for student loan and he carried on with that course, last week we received a letter from The Student Loan Company saying he is not entitled to student loan, he took the letter to his college and was told by his tutor and other college staff he can still get the loan because he is 19 also they've all said the course is full time. I've also asked the college if the course was full time or not because I have to let the local authority know, it took them all this time to reply by letter which I received today saying that the course is only 7 hours one day a week, he does spent another whole day doing project work for the course and goes in the college to use their computer and library.

I obviously need show the local authority that letter and now I am worrying about the hours they've written on the letter which the local authority will say it's a part time course the college did not mention about the full day he spent doing the project work.

I know I will probably have problem with both my local authority and perhaps the child benefit and child tax credit offices, I intend to tell them straight away first thing on Monday.

Can someone please tell me what would happen to my Income support, housing benefit and both the child and tax credit benefit. Also he'll probably have to stop doing hat course as of the following week coming because he is not entitle for the student loan.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Many thanks in advance

Thank you for your reply, I intend to tell CB CTC straight away, he was doing AAT Level 4 since 19th September, he won't be going on Monday as I received letter from his college also stating the hours per week which is 7 hours. The Student Loan Company said he will not get anything. Looks like I owe 2 months worth of CB and CTC since the college took all that time to let us know the course is only 7 hours, several people at the college told my son the course is full time but the letter says different, I will explain to CB and CTC that i've only just received the letter today, same with the student loan the college said my son is entitled that's why he carried on with his course until we got a letter last week saying he is not getting anything, I am in a mess because of the college.
Thank you for your help, on Monday I shall get the CB and CTC sorted straight away and explain the situation.

For reference

http://www.youreable.com/forums/showthread.php/6226-Benefits-help-needed?

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4822131

Edited by 45002

Please use the quote system, So everyone will know what your referring too, thank you ...

• 4 weeks later...

Hello,

I'm looking to borrow a loan of £500.00, my son finished with his education and his child benefit and child tax credit stopped, it's been a month, he's applied for JSA but only today receive just £40.00. The lost of £83.00 per week has put us in hot water with food, bills etc.

Can someone please tell me which is the best loan company to borrow some money for people on benefit?

Any reply would be appreciated.

Many thanks in advance

• 1 month later...

Hello Everyone,

Can someone please tell me how many job you have to be looking for per week, my young son has been told by the job center to be looking for work and record his activity on the universal jobsearch, he was not told how many job per week he was supposed to be looking, or perhaps he has been told and of course cannot remember.

If anyone can tell us would be most grateful

thanks in advance

helen

The number of jobs people have to apply for varies.

Do you have a copy of his job seeker's agreement? There should be boxes saying how many employers he has to contact by phone, e-mail and visits in person each week.

Yes, he needs to have clear, written confirmation of every action he has to take. Then when he has this, make sure he always does more than required to stay in the clear.

He can also provide his jobsearch evidence on paper too - the DWP can not specify how a claimant shows their evidence, though they'll try and get him to put it all on UJ so that they can look through it at their leisure, find a tiny fault and sanction him. They can formally mandate him to register with UJ, put up his details and upload a CV but they can NOT make him give them access, as it is not allowed under current legislation - and they know it, but they still try it on hoping the customer doesn't know the rules.

When he creates his UJ account, there's a small tick box which says 'Allow DWP access to this account'. You do NOT have to tick this. I'd also not tick the box which allows messages from the DWP too, as then they'll send every job they can for him to apply for - even if it's totally unsuitable. Any such jobs the Jobcentre find for him are called 'notified vacancies' and he has to apply for them or risk losing benefits.

Better to find your own jobs - at least they'll be something you're interested in.

Advisable to apply for at least 10 a week to show that he is keen to find a job. All the websites and all three types of jobs listed in his agreement has to be covered weekly. In the job search he should list the jobs only about which he got a confirmation email that he applied for the job. To show it if asked for evidence.

Please ask him to check if he ticked the two boxes in his Universal Jobmatch account to allow DWP access to it and to allow Jobcentre and DWP to email him.

Ask him to untick the boxes and click on save. By law he does not have to give DWP access, no matter what the JCP staff says or what they threaten him with.

For JCP advisers it is easier to find fault with job search evidence in the clients' account in their own time than at the two-minute fortnightly signing on a paper job search. They have 2 mins to look at the paper job search and right after that they have to put the money through on the computer if the job search is all good.

By law they can not tell clients how to provide their evidence so the good old job search booklet or a neat list on an A4 paper is good.

It is easier to get sanctioned and lose benefits if he allows access to his account so the young man may want to practice being firm and put it into writing that he does not wish to allow access and requests that it is noted on his LMS [Labour Market System??] and clerical records so as to avoid being asked to allow access each time he attends JCP. "I keep a copy of this letter and retain proof of posting. With regards, "

• 8 months later...

Hello Everyone,

Hopefully to get some advises about housing benefit. My young who was on job seekers started full time employment on the 22nd of September, whom I've trained and found the job for him myself no thanks to the DWP's useless job search website. I've reported the change of circumstances straight away to my Local authorities also went there took his first pay slip and job offer letter he received from his employer.

This week I received a letter from my housing benefit department about the change in circumstances, I was receiving £124 housing benefit per week but now since my son is at work my housing benefit has reduced to just £14.00 per week it looks like they are making my son pay most of the rent on his wages which I don't think it's right because I am the tenant on the Tenancy agreement and not my son, I am surprised they are making him pay the rent, he have to pay £400.00 a month plus the Council Tax credit I was paying £11.00 a month to now they are asking me £6.00 a week and my son has to pay £11.00 a months for CT.

Can anyone tell me if that is correct the local authority making my son pay the rent, I am aware there would be a deduction in housing benefit but not most of it due to him working, I was pretty shocked but not surprised.

My son was very good when I told him what has happened though I did warn him the council may reduce my housing benefit, he is happy to pay the £400 a month because he knows I cannot pay for it.

Any advice on this would be appreciated before I just make payment to them.

Thanks all

helen

It is possibly the case that the council would apply a "non dependent" charge to your HB because your son is now working - this means that they would reduce your HB by an amount based on his weekly gross pay (that is, pay before tax and NI are deducted.) The amount of that deduction can be found here - it's the website for York council but the amounts apply to all councils in the UK. The non dep charge represents the amount he is expected to contribute to the rent from his wages. For example, if he earns £200 per week, the council would take £44.55 per week from your HB.

If this doesn't explain the amount they're taking from you then you should contact them and ask how they've worked out your new amount of benefit. It's possible they've applied the maximum non-dep charge until they work out the correct amount based on his income.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.