UKPC Parking Charge for parking in my own space? **Ticket Cancelled - must read**

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3390 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Good morning, I am new to this forum. I may well be asking for advise where it has already been answered so please forgive me for not searching through all the threads on here.

I rent a property which has parking enforced by UKPC. We have permit and vistor bays with permit cards for both.

This morning I came down to my car to find that I had been ticketed for parking in my own spot - the reason - 'Parked in a permit space without displaying a valid permit'. The cost of the ticket is £54 rasied to £90 if not paid within 14 days.

I did have a valid permit in the car but unfortunately it was partly obsucured by a peice of paper, however, it was very evident when looking through the windscreen that there was a permit on display (i took a picture on my phone) - I need to know if this ticket can be enforced by UKPC.

I have read some of the other threads and it would seem that it is not enforceable, but do I need to contact the company in the first instance and ask them to check with the management company/landlord to confirm that I have a valid permit and have a right to park in the space.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Regards

abs2222

you can write to UKPC and tell them taht they have no authority to place anything on your vehicle as the space is yours and yours alone and they should be mindful of the laws of harassment if they want to takes things further.

What they do about this is up to them but if you do get any further correspondence warn them again and tell them that you expect then to take heed or pay the consequences. I wouldnt bother with the management company unless you want a refund of charges for their incompetence.

Thanks for that, I actually work for a solicitor and he has drafted a letter for me basically telling them to go stuff themselves

Couldn't have worded it better myself.

Did they obtain your details from the DVLA or just slap their junkmail on the windscreen?

Mine is slightly different as I don't own the space, it is allocated as part of my rental agreement and I'm not the registered owner :( however I'm delighted that someone had the balls to take the company to court and win

Crocdoc, A ticket on the windscreen - they could see through the windscreen that there was a permit it was just not fully visible :(

Ok The reason I asked is that it may have been possible to complain to the DVLA.

However as the stuck it on the windscreen simply wait and see how they respond to the solicitors letter, I will lay odds that they will back down.

• 1 month later...
I actually work for a solicitor and he has drafted a letter for me basically telling them to go stuff themselves

Just thought I'd update you. I initially wrote to UKPC telling them, with the help of the writing skills of my solicitor (boss,) that I disputed the ticket. They wrote back to me asking me to provide details of my permits with any other evidence that I believe will assist the case - I sent them a copy of both my residents permit and vistor permit with a copy of the photo I took the morning after the ticket was given showing the permit on display but partially obscured.

I didn't write a further letter, I just copied their letter to me and enclosed everything with a compliment slip from the firm of solicitors I work for, advised them that all future correspondence must be directed to the business address. That was sent on 3rd December - today I received a letter, not addressed to me but addressed to the solicitors saying that UKPC have investigaged the appeal and based on all the information submitted they have cancelled the ticket.

Wonder if it was the solicitors involvment of the fact that they knew the ticket was wrongly issued in the first place - suppose I'll never know, but it's an early Xmas present for me :)

Quelle surprise!!

They will never admit that they are just a bunch of money grabbing carpet-baggers so you may read it as they were rumbled and had the wind put up them by the work address.

As there was no basis for issuing the ticket they dont feel the need to explain why it was cancelled.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi abs2222,

I just came across your above posts from Dec 2013 with regards to appealing AND winning against the UKPC 'parking charge' for parking your car in your own space.

Sadly, I too have been recently stung with the same £90 'parking charge' by UKPC. I too own the flat (and the parking space allocated to me) and have been living in the flat and parked my car in the allocated spot for 3+ months now.

Just on the very weekend that my car came back from its service. Even though permit was clearly visible, it had somehow blown over and was upside down on the dash, I had received the parching charge notice on my windscreen.

I have not replied or gotten in touch with UKPC as yet as I want to get my facts and approach right.

Could you help me out by sharing the letter you had submitted to UKPC which in turn got your ticket cancelled. It would help me greatly in my fight against these bullies.

Many thanks in advance and wish you a Happy New Year too.

Good Morning unltd

My first letter:-

You issued me with a parking ticket on 12th November 2013 but I believe it was unfairly issed and I willnot be paying your demand for payment for the following reason:-

I have a valid permit and was parked in the resident bay allocated to the above flat. The permit was unfortunately partly obsured by a piece of paper which I can only assume caught the wind when I closed the car, however, it was very evident when looking through the windscreen that there was a permit on display.

I look forward to receiving your confirmation that this ticket is cancelled.

That letter was sent on 13th November and the response I got was dated 26th November

Thank you for your recent correspondence in relation to the above parking charge. We understand your frustration and appreciate the inconvience this has caused you. It is not our intention to cause undue worry and frustration when enforcing our clients parking regulation. We have investigated the appeal based on the information submitted by yourself and can confirm in this instance the the parking charge was correctly issued for the following reason.

As per our clients instructions, all vehicles must display a valid permit to park within this area. Unfortunately when your vehicle was photographed no valid permit was being displayed. Your vehicle was left unattended on private property therefore giving you no authorisation to park. There are sufficient signs warning vehicle drives that should they park their vehicle without displaying a valid permit this will result in a parking charge being issued to the vehicle. Please can you send a copy of the valid permit to our appeals department so that we may review this case.

The parking charge has been on hold whilst on appeal and may be settle in full at the reduced rate of £54 provided payment is received at the below address within 35 days of the date of this letter.

I responded on the 3rd December by copying the above letter from them and attaching a copy of both the valid resident permit and a valid visitor permit with a note on a work compliment slip instructing UKPC that any future correspondence must be sent via the firm of solicitors that I work for.

On 11th December I received another letter

Dear Sir/Madam

Thank you for your recent correspondence in relation to the above Parking Charge. We understand your client's frustration and appreciate the inconvenience this has caused. It is not our intention to cause undue worry and frustration when enforcing our clients parking regulations.

We have investigated the appeal based on the information submitted by yourself and can confirm in this instance that the Parking Charge has been cancelled.

We strive to deliver a high quality service that enhances the existing quality standards insisted upon by our client and ensure our wardens are stringently trained to meet these expected standards.

On behalf of ourselves and our client we apologise for any inconvenience.

Basically they misinterpreted the compliment slip with the note as an instruction from me to my solicitor to take up the appeal legally. I in fact work for the solicitor and just wanted the post to come to the work address as the post at home is very erratic.

Hope this helps

abs2222

Hi abs2222,

Thank you ever so much. I really appreciate you sharing and explaining your approach with me and anyone else who may be caught up in this situation. It is certainly a rare one from all the materials I have looked through online.

I will be following a similar approach and hoping for the same result. Hoping to report back with a positive outcome and add to the tally of victories against UKPC!

Thanks once again =)

• 1 year later...

I faced same situation today :( seen parking ticket on my car parking in a allocated bay in a underground secured parking, which can not be accessed without secured key fob. I rent a flat which comes with this allocated parking and I have a valid parking permit. I displayed the permit which clearly shows bay number but permit number were hidden as I inserted into dashboard.

But I displayed my other outside parking permit was clearly visible which clearly shows registration number, permit number,which is not applicable for this bay but for parking outside bays.

I'm going to challenge using same way described above - many thanks everyone for sharing your experiences and suggestions.

Will update of when I hear anything back from UKPC

thanks

Ganesh

It is YOUR parking spave so they are trespassing by putting a ticket on your car. The contract they have with whoever they have one with doesnt affect YOUR rights to the enjoyment of your property and that includes the parking space.

Put it bluntly, tell them that if they ticket you again you will be suing for trespass and harassment.