frasersmith5

Overtime and training outside working hours worries

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 2215 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hi folks, I'm new here. I was recommended to seek advice on here from a friend with a problem I am having at my work at the moment. I have done a search on here and round the government website about overtime but quite a lot of it is contradicting or confusing.

My situation is that I am a full time Uni student in my final year (busy busy). I work in a retail shop on a 15 hour per week contract. Now with being in my final year I am extremely busy with my coursework. My shop has recently hired a new manager (happens to be his first store manager role) and I am currently having to work 20+ hour weeks. Over the summer this was no problem at all but now it is in the middle of semester time I am finding it hard.

As well as all these extra hours I have been told that I need to complete some online learning in my own time to fulfil my job role. If I don't do these, I have been told that "it will end up being a question of my job role". To me that seems a bit threatening but I am unsure. For some reason, all the training that has to be done is things that I have been allowed to fulfil for the past year I have worked there so struggling to understand the need for training if I already know it?

To try and compensate with the extra time needed for the training I requested less overtime hours to allow me to do the training. I was told that it couldn't be done as I was needed in the store for as many hours as possible. I did read somewhere that I can request time off for training. When I was told that I couldn't get any time off I said about needing to cut my hours down to my contracted 15. This made my manager pretty angry and he said that if I refused to work any overtime then he could show me the door. This was downright rude and unfair I reckon. He said it was written in my contract (which is is).

The wording in my contract is as follows,

Due to the nature of your role you may be required to work additional hours from time to time. Any hours worked over your contracted hours will be paid in line with overtime rules.

The main question I have is that am I allowed to refuse overtime given what my contract says and my situation? Also if anyone knows for sure about training outside working hours (without pay) then I would be pleased to hear more about it.

I have tried to give as much information as possible and I realise I have probably rambled on a bit but if any more information is needed then I will endeavour to give it!

Thanks

Hello and welcome :-)

The first hurdle to overcome is length of service. Have you been there for two years or more? Unfortunately without that it comes down to what the employer can do without fear of being taken to a Tribunal.

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!

Hello and welcome :-)

The first hurdle to overcome is length of service. Have you been there for two years or more? Unfortunately without that it comes down to what the employer can do without fear of being taken to a Tribunal.

I have been employed by the company since September 2012 so just over a year for arguments sake. The thing that gets me is that I try hard and enjoy my job but still I'm faced with these problems.

your education should take priority. It would be wise to let you manager know this without being aggressive about it. Point out that you are happy to work the contracted hours but will decline the overtime as it impinges upon your studies. If you are asked to leave then make sure that you are given a reason and suitable notice period and any holiday pay that you have accrued. If it does happen and the reason given is fallacious then write to head office and ask for an appeal against your dismissal and state your reasons. They may wish you to stay on as they would think it likely that you will leave at graduation or they will support their manager's decision as long as it is lawful. However it works out dont make a big thing about it as worse things happen even though you have done nothing wrong. Might sound a bit negative but unless you see the position as a career it is only a stepping stone at best.