LOVEFILM "FREE" trial

Gemric
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4621 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have just recently signed up with LOVEFILM for a supposedly free trial, 2 days after registering I have had £15 taken from my bank by them. On registering it stated that there was nothing to pay for 21 days or until I had rented a certain amount of films.

I am very annoyed and wondered whether there is a cooling off period after signing up as I want to cancel this and get my money back.

Any advice would gratefully appreciated.

Gem

LLOYDS TSB

4th August 06 - Data Protection Act S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent

19th September 06 - Prelim sent

2nd October 06 - Standard Lloyds reply

9th October 06 - LBA sent

20th October 06 - Standard Lloyds reply

**N1 to be submitted 27th October 06**

I reckon it must be a mistake. I had 3 months free with them, then started paying once that ran out. Have you contacted them to ask why they've taken money?

Abbey - 547.00 settled in full.

Second claim: £204 WON.

Barclaycard - 142.88 incl interest due WON BY DEFAULT as they didn't even bother entering a defence. Barclaycard paid up £184.88.

MBNA - Concluded £634.31

Capital One Concluded £148

Kinda disappointed I've no more banks to go after now...

Cooling period or no, you are obviously entitled to your money back, as it is a "free" trial. Have you asked them? It does sound as if it is just a clerical error, and they will probably refund you no questions. Could be wrong of course!

7 years in retail customer service

Expertise in letting and rental law for 6 years

By trade - I'm an IT engineer working in the housing sector.

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

Please click the star if I have helped!!

No - they all work this way. The amount taken is used to verify you are who you say your and the card is valid. If you decide not to proceed the fee is refunded when they get all their discs back. It's not what you expect for a free offer, but as they will refund or give full benefit of the time period, they can make this claim.

God! Is that right? I obviously don't check my bank statements closely enough as I didn't notice money coming out of my account!

Barclaycard - 142.88 incl interest due WON BY DEFAULT as they didn't even bother entering a defence. Barclaycard paid up £184.88.

MBNA - Concluded £634.31

Just checked their site.. it says:

6.4 Upon registering for your free trial, your method of payment will be authorised for up to three months of service - to verify your identity, and to protect us from theft and fraud. Some banks or payment card companies may reflect this authorisation against your available balance or credit limit. No actual charges, however, will be made against the card if you cancel prior to the end of your free trial.

Not clear!

MBNA - Concluded £634.31

That term does basically say the same as okonski just said...

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

Have tried several times to contact them today, no reply to email. Manged to get hold of their phone number (which is no where to be seen on their website) only to be told their computers are down and to try again in an hour.

LLOYDS TSB

Well - you're still no better/worse off than before. If you've no intention of staying after the free trial, the fee will be refunded after the discs are returned. You might just be wasting time and effort to the same effect!

Have finally got to speak with someone at LOVEFILM who completely denied taking any money, having already spoken to my bank today I knew different. Eventually, to my dismay, she admitted they had in fact frozen the money in my account, I then asked her what bl**dy right she had to do that !! To which she replied "we havent actually taken the money only frozen it" Whats the difference she has stopped me from accessing my money, to me there is no difference!! When I asked her when it will be unblocked she replied at the end of the "FREE" trial. ( I dont think so !!!) After a few words in her ear she agreed that it would be unblocked today.... However this instruction would take two days to reach my account... at which point a gave up and agreed that would be satisfactory.

Does it really take the bank two days or was she just fobbing me off?

LLOYDS TSB

It is called a 'shadow' charge (or pre-auth - pre-authorisation), and has been pointed out previously, is ued to verify that the card is valid anf there will be funds available to take on the due date. The finds do not leave your account, BUT your spending power is reduced by that amount. It is a common commercial practice, also used by car hire firms.

It stinks !!

I only signed up for this because it was advertised as a free trial, if they had said £15 sign up charge I would not have done.

It probably would not have wound me up so much had they not taken (frozen) the last £15 in my account leaving me with nothing until Friday.

What if I had not had the money in my account would they have taken it anyway making me overdrawn and facing bank charges.

I do understand what has been pointed out from their terms & conditions, but it is a bit sketchy and surely it must be against some kind of trade descriptions law when the are describing it as free.

LLOYDS TSB

No, i don't think you understand, i shall just say this once, they have removed/blocked MY RIGHT to access MY MONEY without MY AUTHORISATION/CONSENT with no communication whatsoever.

I think you will find as they have blocked my money in which i have no access to, is called theft!

LLOYDS TSB

they have removed/blocked MY RIGHT to access MY MONEY without MY AUTHORISATION/CONSENT with no communication whatsoever.

Actually they did have your consent, it is written in the terms and conditions of the offer which you agreed to during the signing up process. Presumably you didn't read them prior to accepting them.

I think you will find as they have blocked my money in which i have no access to, is called theft!

Perhaps you should go and look up the definition of theft.

Lloyds TSB, Total Charges £900, Claim Filed for £1379 - Settled

Sainsbury's Bank Credit Card, Total Charges £90 - Settled.

Just checked their site.. it says:

6.4 Upon registering for your free trial, your method of payment will be authorised for up to three months of service - to verify your identity, and to protect us from theft and fraud. Some banks or payment card companies may reflect this authorisation against your available balance or credit limit. No actual charges, however, will be made against the card if you cancel prior to the end of your free trial.

Not clear!

LLOYDS TSB

Perfectly clear, and to say you are overreacting is an understatment. It is a common practice, and understandable as well. At no point have they TAKEN money from you. By the same token, if your bank systems go down and you were unable to withdraw money for 2 days, would you say the BANK has stolen your money??? I think not.

I think you'll find that it is the consensus that understands the situation, you - sadly - do not. They advertised a free service, and that's precisely what you get. If you don't believe us, complain to the ASA (Advertising Standards Authority) and the result will probably be the same. They state up front what they're going to do - if you didn't like it, why did you join? Or did you not read the terms and conditions?

Thank you, points taken on board.

LLOYDS TSB

• 3 years later...

I was recently signed up to a 2 month free trial with LoveFilm, but a sales rep at a shopping centre. When I chacked my bank account £3.99 had been taken. I have contacted lovefilm many times, and in all of their replies they have never mentioned the fact, or answered my questions about why money was taken.

They often take a 'test' amount to prove that the card is valid. It is only a 'shadow' charge, in that it reduced your purchasing power, but is then removed after 7 days or so. What you need to watch out for, is when cancelling with Love Film, you MUSAT have all the discs back before the cut off date, if not you get billed for the following month, even if you said you cancelled the service.

• 1 year later...

it's a con - the salesman will tell you it's a free trial (which is a genuine offer) but actually sign you up for an instant deal, they do this as it earns them more commission. loads of people at college have been done by the same lads in town. you should be able to cancel easily online.