Tyres **Resolved**

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3815 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Just bought a car from well known large dealership,

although the car is 15 months old I was told it was an ex demo with only 2500 miles on the clock,

the car looked like new as you would expect and

I agreed to buy it paying with trade in and cash (debit card)

I was very happy with the car until I discovered whilst washing the wheels that it had budget tyres fitted

which are a third of the price of the factory fitted tyres (Michelin sport)

although I did check the tyres prior to paying I didn't notice the make being more concerned with the tread of the tyres

and assumed at 2500 miles they would be the original factory fitted tyres ( why would they be replaced at 2500 miles)

as soon as I discovered this I called the dealer for an explanation and also to complain in the hope this could be resolved,

the salesman agreed this was a valid complaint but was unaware the tyres had been changed saying the car was bought from citroen uk

and only arrived at the dealership the day before, so

he says he's contacted citroen uk to get an explanation and try and resolve this problem,

this was over a week ago and

I now feel I'm being fobbed off saying they're still waiting on a reply from citroen,

salesman now on holiday so

went in today to speak to manager but the same outcome still waiting !!

Anyone got advice please.

How do you know the tyres are not original?

What makes you think they are budget tyres?

Manufacturers change tyre specs like they are going out of fashion depending on the deal at the time.

Are the wheels as expected for the car?

Do you not have the service history where it should show if the tyres were changed.
. The tyres are definitely not original I confirmed this on an owners forum besides the car is a citroen ds4 sport which is marketed by citroen as a sporty type car and these tyres that have been fitted are probably the cheapest on the market, as for the service history there is none due to the car only covering 2500 miles no mention of tyres being replaced I even checked the car had no damage recorded. I suspect someone's swopped these tyres to their own car to save themselves a lot of money but there's no way to prove that but I still feel the dealer should sort this out surely I should not suffer regardless of what's happened I don't think it unreasonable to expect a car with this mileage to come with the tyres that the manufacturer chose as standard.

. The tyres are definitely not original I confirmed this on an owners forum besides the car is a citroen ds4 sport which is marketed by citroen as a sporty type car and these tyres that have been fitted are probably the cheapest on the market, as for the service history there is none due to the car only covering 2500 miles no mention of tyres being replaced I even checked the car had no damage recorded. I suspect someone's swopped these tyres to their own car to save themselves a lot of money but there's no way to prove that but I still feel the dealer should sort this out surely I should not suffer regardless of what's happened I don't think it unreasonable to expect a car with this mileage to come with the tyres that the manufacturer chose as standard.

Make sure the tyres that have been fitted are the correct speed rating for the car. I would imagine a DS4 Sport would need a high speed rated tyre.

Pardon the pun but I'm not sure that there is much mileage in your complaint. As long as the car is fitted with the appropriate tyres and the tyres are in a fully road legal condition, I doubt you have any come back. Remember It's a used car even though it only has 2.5k on the clock and as such, does not benefit from the same protection under the SOGA that a brand new one has.

My advice would be to check the ratings of the tyres and that they match those as stated in the manufacturer's specifications. IF they don't, then you MAY have a case. But I think not if only going on the fact they are budget tyres.

Are these 'budget' tyres new looking, the right size for the car and fitted correctly ?

I agree that most ****roens are fitted with Mich's ex factory. However, considering previous posts, it is absolutely essential that you check the speed rating----wrong tyres can affect your insurance.

At 2.500 mls i too would have expected Michelin tyres. Wonder if wheels are original.?

Pardon the pun but I'm not sure that there is much mileage in your complaint. As long as the car is fitted with the appropriate tyres and the tyres are in a fully road legal condition, I doubt you have any come back. Remember It's a used car even though it only has 2.5k on the clock and as such, does not benefit from the same protection under the SOGA that a brand new one has.

My advice would be to check the ratings of the tyres and that they match those as stated in the manufacturer's specifications. IF they don't, then you MAY have a case. But I think not if only going on the fact they are budget tyres.

Actually Sam, the OP might have a valid point here on reflection. Whilst I'd agree in principal you are right the difference here is that it is an ex demo. As an ex demo the car should have the wheels and tyres specified at the time of manufacture as being a demo should reflect what the customer would get should the car be bought brand new. Therefore this enters a grey world. The car cannot reasonably be described as an ex demonstrator if the wheel and tyre design is not what you'd expect to see on a manufacturers demonstration model. As a demo the car has to reflect what the customer will receive so any changes made must reflect this oritcannot be described as an ex demonstrator.

I agree that most ****roens are fitted with Mich's ex factory. However, considering previous posts, it is absolutely essential that you check the speed rating----wrong tyres can affect your insurance.

At 2.500 mls i too would have expected Michelin tyres. Wonder if wheels are original.?

Thanks for all the advice I appreciate them all, in answer to your question everyone I've contacted on the forum have Michelin sport tyres as the original tyre and yes the speed rating is ok but the main complaint I have with the tyres are their performance in the wet both braking and handling which is a big concern to me having already nearly come a cropper (the front of the car wanted to go straight with part lock on a roundabout in the wet) not going fast at the time, it was scary to say the least, latest update both the salesman and his manager think I've got a valid point but still waiting to hear back from citroen where the car was sourced, I'll keep you updated but not confident I'll get a result.

Just a couple of points. It would be most interesting to know who the dealer was as perhaps i can throw some light why tyres were changed.

Given the info on the car, i would have expected the selling price to be reduced by virtue that it did not have top quality tyres fitted at this age and mileage (well, Michelin call themselves top quality?????)

If the car came direct from citroen it doesn't surprise me that "changes were made". I bought an ex citroen car, and at time of purchase noted that it had a spare with excellent tread. Shortly after getting it home i had a soft tyre and went to put the spare on---- ancient Dunlop tyre, on a wheel that didn't fit and no jack etc etc.

Dealer made good on all points and gave me a brand new Mich as a spare. But obviously the dealer had been done by someone in the supply chain.!!!!!!!!!!!

the main complaint I have with the tyres are their performance in the wet both braking and handling which is a big concern to me having already nearly come a cropper (the front of the car wanted to go straight with part lock on a roundabout in the wet) not going fast at the time, it was scary to say the least, ...

Does your Citroen have ABS, and if so, is it working ?

Does your Citroen have ABS, and if so, is it working ?

Just to update you all got a phone call earlier this evening from manager of dealership to say that they will replace the tyres with Michelin sport tyres as should be fitted absolutely delighted as I really thought they would come up with some excuse, they say that citroen will pay half and the dealer will pay the other half just goes to show if you keep at them sometimes it pays off, thanks for all the advice.