HMRC Interview Undeclared Tax Self Employed

Kayanos
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3753 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

I'm self emplyed and I have an accountant who does my tax returns for me. I have received a letter from HMRC that they would like me to attend an interview for the last tax year. It is just an opening investigation letter and is not a cop 8 or 9.

I have since got out last years bank statements and my accountant has calculated that I have about £30,000 undeclared cash earnings that went into my bank that should have been declared and I am liable to pay tax on.

I did not intend to avoid paying tax, I just left it up to my accountant to handle my tax affairs so I could concentrate on earning money.

Has anyone got any advice about going to these interviews, what they might ask, should I get a tax advisor to come with me, will they want to investigate me further ? Any advise would me helpful thanks.

• 1 month later...

Thats what I intend to do but I've heard some horror stories about people keeping excelllent books and the tax man hounding them for ages and at the end of it the tax man owes them money (they paid too much tax). I don't mind paying what I owe, I've increased the amount i'm paying to them in the run up to the meeting I just want them out of my life.

Its what I intend to do once this has all been delt with. Unfortunately I still need them until the investigation is over. I pay them £600 per year but obviously they haven't been doing a good job. I would have been better off doing a self assessment.