Council Housing overcrowding classifications

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3818 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I have a friend who is living in a two bedroomed council flat. It is quite a small flat and the second room is only just big enough for bunk beds to fit in it. She has 2 teenage daughters. The council has just told her that they have brought in new rules which means that she is losing her addition transfer points because they no longer class a single room as overcrowding when 2 kids share it.

Does anyone know if the council can do this and/or if there are national regulations for the acceptable size of a room etc?

Thanks in advance :-)

Hi Antone,

sorry, I got it wrong. How do I move my thread.

Thanks

Antone's moved it for you :)

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

Hi snugs1235

Well if the council have stated its due to new rules being implemented then I would advise writing to the council and requesting a copy of those new rules / policy document on this.

Remember you have no way of actually confirming this without a copy of that document.

Also this may be of use:

Valuation Office Agency – Rent Officers Handbook

(Note: This is used throughout the UK not just England and Wales)

Rent officers Handbook – ROOMS

http://www.voa.gov.uk/corporate/publications/Manuals/RentOfficerHandbook/Other/Procedures/r-roh-rooms.html

Rent Officers Handbook – SIZE CRITERIA

http://www.voa.gov.uk/corporate/publications/Manuals/RentOfficerHandbook/HousingBenefitReferral/Determination/s-roh-size-criteria.html

Edited by stu007

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

2 same sex children under 16yo - only requires 1 shared bedroom. When 16, the elder dau will be entitled to her own room, so over crowding points should be re-instated from her 16th birthday.

Drafing a letter at this stage may have no effect, just better to write and remind them that elde st dau will be 16 on and entitled to her own room subsequently.