• Tweets

• Top paediatricians have written an open letter to government about children going hungry and supporting Marcus Rashford's campaign.   https://www.theguardian.com/society/2020/oct/24/open-letter-from-uk-paediatricians-about-free-school-meals
    • It's not worth appealing because ECP won't listen, unfortunately, plus you can give the impression that if they lean on you, you'll pay them money when you don't need to. The only time we normally advise writing to them is if you get a Letter Before Claim/Action.   Best to say nothing for now and if you do get a LBC, we'll help you to draft something. Have a read around some other parking threads and you'll get an idea of how these people operate.
    • Thank you. Is it worth replying to say why I was there and that I feel it’s a bit disproportionate?   had I known I’d have paid the original £1 but I was so worried about getting into a space without crashing!
    • I had never done it and I was afraid. I have done it now. The meter is mine.
    • How younger is 'younger' and how many is 'many'?   I'm not sure of the numbers raw numbers themselves but look at cat 4 figure 5 which is deaths by age group relative to population. Obviously ignore influenza and pneumonia.   https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/birthsdeathsandmarriages/deaths/bulletins/deathsduetocoronaviruscovid19comparedwithdeathsfrominfluenzaandpneumoniaenglandandwales/deathsoccurringbetween1januaryand31august2020   The category for deaths for under 65s is almost invisible.              
  • Our picks

• Hermes lost parcel.. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/422615-hermes-lost-parcel/
      • 49 replies
    • Oven repair. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/427690-oven-repair/&do=findComment&comment=5073391
      • 49 replies
    • I came across this discussion recently and just wanted to give my experience of A Shade Greener that may help others regarding their boiler finance agreement.

We had a 10yr  finance contract for a boiler fitted July 2015.

After a summer of discontent with ASG I discovered that if you have paid HALF the agreement or more you can legally return the boiler to them at no cost to yourself. I've just returned mine the feeling is liberating.

It all started mid summer during lockdown when they refused to service our boiler because we didn't have a loft ladder or flooring installed despite the fact AS installed the boiler. and had previosuly serviced it without issue for 4yrs. After consulting with an independent installer I was informed that if this was the case then ASG had breached building regulations,  this was duly reported to Gas Safe to investigate and even then ASG refused to accept blame and repeatedly said it was my problem. Anyway Gas Safe found them in breach of building regs and a compromise was reached.

A month later and ASG attended to service our boiler but in the process left the boiler unusuable as it kept losing pressure not to mention they had damaged the filling loop in the process which they said was my responsibilty not theres and would charge me to repair, so generous of them! Soon after reporting the fault I got a letter stating it was time we arranged a powerflush on our heating system which they make you do after 5 years even though there's nothing in the contract that states this. Coincidence?

After a few heated exchanges with ASG (pardon the pun) I decided to pull the plug and cancel our agreement.

The boiler was removed and replaced by a reputable installer,  and the old boiler was returned to ASG thus ending our contract with them. What's mad is I saved in excess of £1000 in the long run and got a new boiler with a brand new 12yr warranty. 

You only have to look at TrustPilot to get an idea of what this company is like.

• Thanks
      • 3 replies
    • Dazza a few months ago I discovered a good friend of mine who had ten debts with cards and catalogues which he was slavishly paying off at detriment to his own family quality of life, and I mean hardship, not just absence of second holidays or flat screen TV's.

I wrote to all his creditors asking for supporting documents and not one could provide any material that would allow them to enforce the debt.

As a result he stopped paying and they have been unable to do anything, one even admitted it was unenforceable.

If circumstances have got to the point where you are finding it unmanageable you must ask yourself why you feel the need to pay.  I guarantee you that these companies have built bad debt into their business model and no one over there is losing any sleep over your debt to them!  They will see you as a victim and cash cow and they will be reluctant to discuss final offers, only ways to keep you paying with threats of court action or seizing your assets if you have any.

They are not your friends and you owe them no loyalty or moral duty, that must remain only for yourself and your family.

If it was me I would send them all a CCA request.   I would bet that not one will provide the correct response and you can quite legally stop paying them until such time as they do provide a response.   Even when they do you should check back here as they mostly send dodgy photo copies or generic rubbish that has no connection with your supposed debt.

The money you are paying them should, as far as you are able, be put to a savings account for yourself and as a means of paying of one of these fleecers should they ever manage to get to to the point of a successful court judgement.  After six years they will not be able to start court action and that money will then become yours.

They will of course pursue you for the funds and pass your file around various departments of their business and out to third parties.

Your response is that you should treat it as a hobby.  I have numerous files of correspondence each faithfully organised showing the various letters from different DCA;s , solicitors etc with a mix of threats, inducements and offers.   It is like my stamp collection and I show it to anyone who is interested!
        • Thanks

Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 2167 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

• 4 weeks later...
You mean you've gone in,but yet to exit via 'out door' camera?

yes you got it,still no letter as to date but drove in to aldi last week only to exit 2 days later,well got to give them another chance,bless em!

I went to aldi 2 weeks ago intending to test the genuine shopper clause again, but on leaving,the opportunity arose for the cameras to 'miss' my reg plate. I went back this weekend. Surely I won't get a 2 week over stay... ?

• 11 months later...

Quote from our local paper,

council chiefs have launched talks with aldi after a 2 hr parking limit was imposed at its car park in hednesford.

Cannock chace council says fewer people are now using the rugeley rd car park,

prompting fears of a knock on effect for other buisinesses.

Shoppers could be" FINED" by a private enforcement firm if they overstay the limit.

A report to the council states

"aldi have been informed that their decision to reduce the time limit without prior consultation is unacceptable.

now what I would like to do is notify the council of their scare mongering of the word "FINE"

and quote the legal representation of a "fine" on private property with a little legal help from the best caggers.

it has to be worth a laugh informing them of their little knowledge of the law.cheers.

As usual,

the locl rag has gone off at half cock on a story when they could have had something quite decent to report.

I bet that PE have agreed/decided to restrcit parking on that site so they stand a chance of earning a few quid

but the planning consent for the store was given on a basis of free parking for a longer time.

I now expect the council will either enforce the planning consent or they will accept an application from Aldi to vary it.

What wont appear on the paperwork is that it is not jutified by loss of income to Aldi because customers cant park

but that PE cant make money without penalising people.

Likewise PE wont get fined for breaching planning law because they have no interest in the matter.

Now that, of course, is something we have been saying all along so that also means that they cant claim a contractual obligation

a they have no interest. Talk about eating your cake and having it!

If you point all of this out to the paper they might keep an eye on the proceedings

and print a story on what a duplicitous bunch of so-and-so's the parking cowboys

are when it comes to use and interpretation of law.

When I win the euromillions I am going to spend a couple of hundred thou on this and then there will be no question about who has rights to form or decline a contract.

Press complaints commission ultimately BUT tip off the local rag and show them the error of their ways, but again, nothing will come of it, look at the likes of the Sun, they're still kicking about even after all of their untruths regarding Hilsborough.

If you get no joy with the rag and their complaints procedure, you simply have to try and embarrass them as publicly as you can so they hold no trust or respect with the people they survive off.

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

The PCC no longer exists. It's now morphed into the "Independent (sic) Press Standards Organisation". Except it's still run by the newspaper industry, and is not in the form that Leverson wanted.

did I not read some where that a local council told aldi or lidl, that if they wanted to apply for a change of the parking times /reduction, that they would have to close the store until the application had been considered ?????.

• 2 weeks later...

first letter received ,

Glenn Watson

12 Nov (7 days ago)cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif

to me

cleardot.gif

Dear Mr alias jones

I have been passed your e-mail dated 5 November 2014 regarding the above. As the lead officer responsible for the successful delivery of the Hednesford Town Centre regeneration programme, I would be extremely concerned about any proposal by Aldi to impose further restrictions on their section of the Rugeley Road Car Park. I was speaking to the Regional Operations Director from Aldi in October and he indicated that there were no such proposals under consideration.

I have not seen the article or letter you have referred to in your e-mail which had no attachments. I would be very grateful if you could forward these to me so I can investigate further.

Regards.

Glenn Watson

Planning & Economic Development Services Manager

Cannock Chase Council

Tel: 01543 464529

second letter,

Glenn Watson

18 Nov (1 day ago)cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif

to me

cleardot.gif

Dear Mr alias Smith

Aldi are entitled to employ Parking Eye to manage their section of the car park by virtue of a Lease which was agreed between the Council and St Modwen developments who undertook the regeneration of Hednesford Town Centre. If they wished to do so they could operate Parking Eye throughout store opening times (8am until 10pm Mon - Sat and 10am to 4.00pm on Sundays with a 90 minute limit) however they have currently agreed to limit the operation of Parking Eye to 8am until 3pm. The details of this were not part of the planning permission which simply required the car park to be a short stay shoppers car park. As previously advised the initial 4 hr restriction operated from December 2013 until April 2014 when a 2 hour limit was imposed. There are currently no plans to introduce further restrictions.

The Council has played no part in 'posting articles in the media'. The Press often attend Council meetings and use the information to produce stories which are generally very inaccurate or based upon old information as in this case. In this context it is grossly unfair to desribe the Council as 'scaremongering'.

If you have an issue with the way Aldi and Parking Eye operate the car park it would be more appropriate to direct your concerns to those companies. The land in question is effectively private land and the legislation they use is civil law not statute law, as you have identified.

I do not think there is anything more I can add by way of explanation.

Glenn Watson

Cannock Chase Council