BankFodder BankFodder

dreamylea

Kitchen installation company issues

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 2332 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hi all.

Sorry if this post is on the wrong forum

I wasn't 100% sure where it should go

but I would really appreciate some advice about my rights on this matter.

We had our new kitchen fitted at the end of August.

There were many problems during the process of the kitchen being fitted,

we were on holiday at the time and the kitchen fitter phoned us with problems and questions everyday.

I had informed the company that we would be away but we had no communication from them before,

I even had to contact them to ask what time someone needed to be at our house to let them in!

the main issue was a couple of days after the kitchen was finished.

I had a phonecall from the company's admin lady to say that she had forgotten to tell us

there would be an additional charge for the fitting of the worktops

as we had chosen to supply our own

(ie they were not included in the kitchen fitting price we had paid the kitchen company)

and that would be an additional £50+vat per worktop (they insist it is 6 worktops but it is in fact 5)

please and could I email them to confirm that I accept that quote (which I didn't).

I stated that I had emailed her nearly 2 months before to say we were supplying our own worktops

and she had replied to say that she would make a note of it, no additional charge was ever mentioned.

A couple of weeks later I received a final bill for the work done.

The £300+vat for worktops was on there and they had added "as agreed" next to it.

I wrote a letter to the managing director along with a cheque and went through each item on the bill.

They had refunded me some money for some of the work they hadn't done

eg, installing the fridge, boxing in the pipes but didn't refund me the vat I had paid for them!

They had also installed the sink in the wrong way round (he thought the plans were wrong!).

I also stated in my letter that the worktop price had not been agreed.

I deducted 20% off of the sink fitting price, the VAT they owed me on my refunds,

and the price of the worktop fitting (I also stated that there were not 6 worktops).

I sent them a cheque for the amount owed minus deductions I had made.

I received a reply from the managing director stating that he would deduct 40% off the worktop price

and therefore I still owed £180+vat (that would still make it 6 worktops!!).

I ignored the letter on my husbands advice,

I know this was probably the wrong thing to do.

I received another letter today (dated 6/11) saying they are trying to be amicable about this

but if they don't receive payment by 14/11 they will refer me to their debt collectors!

What should I do?

I would really appreciate any advice on this situation.

hi welcome to cag

don't worry about debt collectoirs

they are NOT BAILIFFS

and have

NO SUCH LEGAL POWERS.

above all stay off the phone to them.

if the worktop charge was not in there original quote

nor have they ever sent and copies of their terms & conditions that state this

then they are really barking up the wrong tree

and don't, contract wise, have a leg to stand on.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

if everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's tomorrow

the biggest financial industry in the UK, the whole DCA industry would collapse overnight.

Write and tell them that you dispute that you owe the money. This should prevent them using a dca. If a dca gets in touch tell them that the debt is in dispute and they should leave you alone.

What's Best for You?

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Alliance & Leicester Moneyclaim issued 20/1/07 £225.50 full settlement received 29 January 2007

Smile £1,075.50 + interest Email request for payment 24/5/06 received £1,000.50 14/7/06 + £20 30/7/06

Yorkshire Bank Moneyclaim issued 21/6/06 £4,489.39 full settlement received 26 January 2007

:p

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Thank you both for your replies. I was so worried when I read the letter, I feel a bit better about it now.

Let us know how you get on and if you have more questions. :)

What's Best for You?

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Alliance & Leicester Moneyclaim issued 20/1/07 £225.50 full settlement received 29 January 2007

Smile £1,075.50 + interest Email request for payment 24/5/06 received £1,000.50 14/7/06 + £20 30/7/06

Yorkshire Bank Moneyclaim issued 21/6/06 £4,489.39 full settlement received 26 January 2007

:p

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.