35 hour a week Jobsearh

Flickyhecky
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3756 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Just to note that this is an old thread. Perhaps you'd be better off starting a new thread about your concerns, rather than repeatedly posting these JPGs on other ones.

This is merely a suggestion, not a moderator instruction. It's an interesting topic.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

This is the new UC regulation for those that are claiming the old JSA.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/269422/foi-3786-13-eg-claimant-commitment-annex1.pdf

You will note that apart from job hunting, and walking the streets for up to 120 miles in any direction of your home, you will be mandated to carry out voluntary work to make up the 35 hours a week.

[...]walking the streets for up to 120 miles in any direction of your home

This is scaremongering and impossible. The commitment, as does its predecessor, the JSag, states: "[find and take work that] is within 90 minutes' travel from my home"

The distance travelled to meet this 90 minute requirement is highly dependent on the modes of transport available. Another point worth considering - If travel expenses leave you worse off, you would not (usually) be penalised for turning down a job offer.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

No... you can't eat my brain just yet. I need it a little while longer.

You will note that apart from job hunting, and walking the streets for up to 120 miles in any direction of your home, you will be mandated to carry out voluntary work to make up the 35 hours a week.

You most certainly will not be expected to walk 120 miles to work, or to look for work.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

You most certainly will not be expected to walk 120 miles to work, or to look for work.

You missed the point - I meant 'walking the streets up to 120 miles away from home'.

As an example would the JC expect me to look for work in say Peterborough, Cambridge, Ipswich or maybe Bedford all of which I can easily reach by car within 90 mins from Canterbury?

This is scaremongering and impossible. The commitment, as does its predecessor, the JSag, states: "[find and take work that] is within 90 minutes' travel from my home"

The distance travelled to meet this 90 minute requirement is highly dependent on the modes of transport available. Another point worth considering - If travel expenses leave you worse off, you would not (usually) be penalised for turning down a job offer.

I agree, Cambridge, Bedford, Peterborough and Ipswich are all within a 90min drive of Canterbury. Have a look at a map to see what I am talking about.

So those who have to rely on public transport might only have to travel say 20 miles or so to look for work, whilst others with a car will have to look for a job up to 120 miles away from home? And you think that it is reasonable and fair?

I wouldn't want to put the JC to a test. A job is a job to them even if it would cost you 70% of your weekly wage in just getting to work. More than likely they would counter the argument to tell you to either move home or stay in a B&B instead during the working week.

Where does the 120 miles come from? Surely, the JCP wouldn't expect you to travel that far? When I claimed JSA, I was told I'd have to travel up to 60 minutes each way. I explained that I don't drive; so depending on the transport used, it may get me to the main hospital or to Exeter. I was told it doesn't matter where it gets me.

Where does the 120 miles come from? Surely, the JCP wouldn't expect you to travel that far? When I claimed JSA, I was told I'd have to travel up to 60 minutes each way. I explained that I don't drive; so depending on the transport used, it may get me to the main hospital or to Exeter. I was told it doesn't matter where it gets me.

In another thread, solbert asserted that 90 mins by car was 120 miles. Which it is, if you average 80mph. Even if that were legal, there are very few places in the UK where it's even possible.

In another thread, solbert asserted that 90 mins by car was 120 miles. Which it is, if you average 80mph. Even if that were legal, there are very few places in the UK where it's even possible.

Absolutely! I live in a city right next a motorway, as do my in laws about 110 miles away from me. When I used to be able to manage to drive that distance, all on motorways (10 minutes each end to get from the house to the motorway), the average drive time (over the years of visiting them) was around 2.5 hours. Even on motorways, it's rare to be able to go long distances at the maximum legal speed limit.

We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office ~ Aesop

You missed the point - I meant 'walking the streets up to 120 miles away from home'.

As an example would the JC expect me to look for work in say Peterborough, Cambridge, Ipswich or maybe Bedford all of which I can easily reach by car within 90 mins from Canterbury?

Right, I see. Well yes, you would be expected to accept work that is within 90 mins drive, and to attend arranged job interviews in these places. You would not be expected to drive around on spec to Cambridge or Ipswich or wherever.

Edit to add: none of the places you listed can be reached from Canterbury in 90 mins driving at legal speeds.

• Haha 1

From what has been said on this thread you will be expected to travel for up to 90mins to get to a job interview and take a job.

Based on that and my regular experience of using the M20, M25, M11, it would take me to those destinations which are at least 120 miles away in 90 mins by private transport. Grief if I just wanted to get to London (St Pancras) by public transport it would only take me 53mins by train to do the 80 odd miles. Using that as another example, who would pay me the day return £35 cost of using the train?

Just for a 5 day week the train fare would be £175 out of the £250 weekly wage at NMW level.

As I have said I think that this is a wind up and the JC would only expect you to travel say a max of 10 miles using any type of transport. To prejudice someone because they have a car is totally unfair.

It may not be entirely legal, but if I was to drive at 70mph on the M20/M25/M11 everything on the road would be overtaking me including the odd Reliant Robin! (strange as it may be one was clocked at 105mph on the M20 a few years back - obviously going downhill with a tail wind!)

The M20 to Dartford is a cruise at 90mph, the M25 averages maybe 50mph, whilst the M11 sees speeds of up to 100mph. Fortunately there are no speed cameras on that particular route.

Edited by solbert

Absolutely! I live in a city right next a motorway, as do my in laws about 110 miles away from me. When I used to be able to manage to drive that distance, all on motorways (10 minutes each end to get from the house to the motorway), the average drive time (over the years of visiting them) was around 2.5 hours. Even on motorways, it's rare to be able to go long distances at the maximum legal speed limit.

Then you have not used the M20 or the M11!

Then you must be setting your cruise control to 70 and not driving according to the road conditions. I regularly use the M20/M25/M11/A1M/M62 to get to Manchester (308 miles) and wouldn't expect to be there after a max of 4.5 hours. Normally it is just over the 4 hours non stop.

Right, I see. Well yes, you would be expected to accept work that is within 90 mins drive, and to attend arranged job interviews in these places. You would not be expected to drive around on spec to Cambridge or Ipswich or wherever.

Edit to add: none of the places you listed can be reached from Canterbury in 90 mins driving at legal speeds.

Err they can at a speed that is normal for the traffic. I've yet to see many that drive at 70 nowadays.

I don't know where you are but Canterbury to Cambridge would take a max of 1 hour 52 mins, driving at speeds up to 70mph. Driving at speeds consistent with the traffic flow would see that journey time come down to 90 mins - I do the journey every month!

So if a job came up in Cambridge for 40 hours at NMW and I could prove that I could get there in less than 90 mins, would the JC make me take it even though it would cost me £50 a day in fuel alone to get there and back?

I thought the M62 went to Liverpool or Hull, solbert?

HB

Errr yes it goes to Liverpool after passing the outskirts of Greater Manchester. If you want to go to the centre then use a few miles of the M60 until you get to the Trafford Centre via Barton Bridge.

Solbert surprised to see you're still being allowed to post on here. See MSE have already shut you down with this username.

Why? MSE thought that I was a little too near the mark when answering a question. I was brought up to believe that a spade is a spade and not a garden implement. Some people don't like to hear the truth - they prefer it to be dressed up with a pink bow!

Can't see any on here that have that PC mind set. They prefer the truth, warts & all.

Actually, we're just a little more tolerant of WUMs.

Our tolerance does have limits, though. It's a kindness, really - he spends too much time on here and not enough time with poor, neglected Flo.

Solbert surprised to see you're still being allowed to post on here. See MSE have already shut you down with this username.

Ahh, the ever reasonable MSE forums. Home of the ardent benefit bashers, some of the posters on there have their heads so far up their fundamental orifices they can see breakfast coming.

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges

Being poor is like being a Pelican. No matter where you look, all you see is a large bill.

If you travel to manchester in 4 1/2 hours you must be a) breaking the speed limit and b) going at very very off peak hours.

Barton Bridge is more often than not congested as are the parts of the M62 round Leeds. Again once you get onto the M60 it is not exactly foot to the floor territory.

Being deliberately difficult is not helping anyone.

I have to say though that when I was looking for work , it was pretty much a full time job once you took into account writing targeted CV's , targeted letters and then getting some interviews. Of course the level of job you are applying for makes a difference.

I recently went through UJ for someone and was not able to find a single job he could do either because it needed a driving licence, was outside publc transport hours and or outside hi reasonable skill set

Any opinion I give is from personal experience .