• Tweets

• depends what the fees are, typically nothing can be added once judgement is passed bar litigation costs. on document retention time limits etc at least 6yrs previous must be held though many hold complete info. as for acronyms and abbreviations ideally yes they should     
    • Still have to submit a statement either system....if they fail they can only give verbal because they failed to file and serve.
    • OP stated they had been arrested, but not charged (let alone convicted). They DON'T have a criminal record, but do have an entry on the PNC. That information stays on the PNC (Police National Computer) for life, but doesn't get released in a standard DBS. It only MIGHT get released for an Enhanced DBS (eDBS) check  ... but it would be incredibly unlikely. (The rational behind this is that eDBS's allow for 'information at Chief Officer of Police's discretion' ..... this covers the 2 'barring lists' and is also intended for the scenario where someone has multiple arrests or investigations, where safeguarding is a concern .... it was brought in after the Soham murders / Ian Huntley case, where the information known about the now-convicted child murderer may have prevented his employment in a school, had it been made available). So, for the sake of accuracy and completeness, arrests stay on the PNC for life, wont appear in a standard DBS, MIGHT appear in an eDBS, but in reality, would be the exception rather than the norm, and I can't see them being released  to a defense barrister. What then if the defence found out a different way, and brought it up in court?. Again, unlikely, but the important feature is that the judge would make sure they trod very carefully!. They MIGHT consider using it if there were other factors that allowed them to try to cast doubts as to the truthfulness of your evidence, but on its own : No way. Anyone MIGHT be arrested (if a seemingly plausible complaint been made against them)! The approach to take if it did come up is to be truthful. "Yes, I was arrested. It arose from a vexatious complaint. I wasn't charged, let alone convicted. That could happen to any one of us, if a vexatious complaint gets made" Far better that than lying, saying you'd never been arrested, and getting caught in a lie : that would ruin your credibility. I'm incredibly doubtful it will even come up, though.
    • we dont get N157 because its new OCMC but no court dont have evidence either.   Just seems a bit of a pointless wait but oh well
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Self Assessment late penalties

gazhodge1981
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3809 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

Just need some advice please.

I was in a partnership with 2 others from July 2006 to November 2012, i was not really involved in the business, more just a name on paper.

I have worked while in the partnership and have always paid my tax through PAYE so i have no tax outstanding. The business never made a profit and money was always put in to keep it afloat.

In the last 18 month the tax office have been in touch with me regarding outstanding self assessment tax returns which i wasn't aware of as the business used an account to do account and returns, so i just gave my forms to them and didnt think much to it, till i started to get letters saying i had to pay this, it was always different amounts.

I finally managed to get online so i could see the information on what my account was like and i was so shocked to see that i had 4 missing self assessments. 07-08, 09-10, 10-11, 11-12 :!:.

As you can imagine the late penalty fees have mounted up and as it stands it is nearly £6500 on the account.

I have spoke to the HRMC 4 or 5 times in the last 9 months and have registered online which i was only just told i could do a few weeks ago. I have returned all but the 07-08 online, i have even done the 12-13 return.

The accountant that the business used has since retired in 2011 (not seen again) which i didn't know about and another accountant is doing the returns for the business at the moment to get them in i have been told.

I spoke to hmrc last week who told me they had reduced my tax code to collect extra money though my tax as i pay tax through PAYE. This week getting phone calls of a company called Blue Stone credit management (not spoken to them). which i would think is to collect money for the above.

It looks a right mess to me and i really cant afford the late penalty charges.

Any advice would be great as i really don't know what to do.

IT'S TIME FOR US LITTLE PEOPLE TO FIGHT BACK:)

Hi all,

Just need some advice please.

I was in a partnership with 2 others from July 2006 to November 2012, i was not really involved in the business, more just a name on paper.

I have worked while in the partnership and have always paid my tax through PAYE so i have no tax outstanding. The business never made a profit and money was always put in to keep it afloat.

In the last 18 month the tax office have been in touch with me regarding outstanding self assessment tax returns which i wasn't aware of as the business used an account to do account and returns, so i just gave my forms to them and didnt think much to it, till i started to get letters saying i had to pay this, it was always different amounts.

I finally managed to get online so i could see the information on what my account was like and i was so shocked to see that i had 4 missing self assessments. 07-08, 09-10, 10-11, 11-12 :!:.

As you can imagine the late penalty fees have mounted up and as it stands it is nearly £6500 on the account.

I have spoke to the HRMC 4 or 5 times in the last 9 months and have registered online which i was only just told i could do a few weeks ago. I have returned all but the 07-08 online, i have even done the 12-13 return.

The accountant that the business used has since retired in 2011 (not seen again) which i didn't know about and another accountant is doing the returns for the business at the moment to get them in i have been told.

I spoke to hmrc last week who told me they had reduced my tax code to collect extra money though my tax as i pay tax through PAYE. This week getting phone calls of a company called Blue Stone credit management (not spoken to them). which i would think is to collect money for the above.

It looks a right mess to me and i really cant afford the late penalty charges.

Any advice would be great as i really don't know what to do.

Is the £6500 all late penalty fees (if so, can we have the breakdown ) or "Assessments" made in the absence of returns?.

If late penalty fees : seems excessive given it is only recent years that they have ramped up the penalties.

If "assessments" they sum owed may reduce (or disappear!) once they have processed your returns.

If the latter I advise contacting "Collections" within HMRC and ask for them to put a hold on collection activity until your submitted returns have been processed.

They'll be able to see if there are returns submitted, and if they are awaiting processing, so may well agree a "hold" pending their processing.

Sadly, failure of an agent (the accountant) to submit returns only counts in mitigation rather than an excuse, but they may well cut you some slack!

Thanks for the reply's Bazzas and HB :-)

The break down of the penalty charges are as follows:-

07 -08 - Tax £0

Interest £38.56

Penalties £400

sub total £438.56

Less payments for this year £100 - no idea what this is?

Total £338.56

09-10 -

Tax £0

Interest £14.42

Penalties £200

Total £214.42

10-11 -

Tax £0

Interest £104.10

Penalties £3200

Total £3304.10

11-12 -

Tax £0

Interest £7.38

Penalties £2600

Total £2607.38

I can get a breakdown of the penalties if it helps.

The returns i have done online show they have been submitted and received.

Thanks in advance for your help

Hi all,

does anyone know if a could appeal the late penalty charges and not the non failure to file charges using the same argument that Morgan vs HMRC and Donaldson VS HMRC did earlier this year in the first tier???

thanks in advance

You certainly need a breakdown of the penalties.

The penalties have been escalated since 2010/11 tax year (the penalty was £100 maximum before this), but even so, unless there is significant tax owed, is still a maximum of £1300 per year as described at

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/sa/deadlines-penalties.htm#7

Correction : now £1600 penalty for a return > 1 year overdue

(£100 for 1st day late, £900 for 3 months late [at £10/day], £300 for 6 months late, and a further £300 if a year late).

The Donaldson & Morgan ruling(s) might impact on the £900 component ("daily penalties"), but not the £100, £300 and £300 "fixed period" (1 day, 6 month, 12 month) penalties.

Hence why the breakdown is essential.

I note you say the returns have been submitted and received : you might want to check again when you can add "and processed" to that!

Edited by BazzaS

2011-2012 -

21 Mar 2013 Late filing penalty £100.00

21 Mar 2013 Partnership late filing penalty £100.00

20 Sep 2013 Daily penalty £900.00

20 Sep 2013 Partnership daily penalty £900.00

20 Sep 2013 6 month late filing penalty £300.00

20 Sep 2013 Partnership 6 month late filing penalty £300.00

Total £2600

2010-2011 -

20 Mar 2012 Late filing penalty £100.00

20 Mar 2012 Partnership late filing penalty £100.00

13 Sep 2012 Daily penalty 900.00

13 Sep 2012 Partnership daily penalty £900.00

13 Sep 2012 6 month late filing penalty 300.00

13 Sep 2012 Partnership 6 month late filing penalty £300.00

28 Mar 2013 12 month late filing penalty £300.00

28 Mar 2013 Partnership 12 month late filing penalty £300.00

Total £3200

The other years are just £100 late penalties :sad:

I could just cry :sad:

Hi all,

does anyone know if a could appeal the late penalty charges and not the non failure to file charges using the same argument that Morgan vs HMRC and Donaldson VS HMRC did earlier this year in the first tier???

thanks in advance

The Tribunal ruled in favour of Morgan and Donaldson which were slightly different situations. HMRC are currently appealing against the Donaldson ruling which was more concerned with penalties than tax. I don't know when the Appeal will be heard.

The Tribunal ruled in favour of Morgan and Donaldson which were slightly different situations. HMRC are currently appealing against the Donaldson ruling which was more concerned with penalties than tax. I don't know when the Appeal will be heard.

Thank you for getting back to me,

I have checked and it does seem to be on appeal sad.gif

Does anyone know what the best way to appeal is and how is best to write the appeal.

I seem to not have many options.

One thing i have noticed his morning is that all my returns say that they have been submitted and received but they have added interest to the account 3 weeks after they were submitted.

19 Nov 2013 Accruing late payment interest for second penalty for late tax return due 08 Sep 2009 - an example - as they were filled in October can they do this?

Hi Gaz,

Firstly write to HMRC, or call them, and say you want to appeal and they will send you the forms. You can then ask for own adjudicator to look at your papers, or if you prefer you can go straight to the Tribunal. (If their adjudicator refuses you can still go to the Tribunal afterwards.)

I'm appealing the first year that they changed the rules - 2010. Until then if you didn't owe tax you didn't have penalties even if your returns were late and I think it is absolutely iniquitous that they brought in this charge. I had spoken to someone at HMRC about this particular year and she had confirmed in our conversation that there would be no penalties if there was no tax payable and she was wrong. I made them provide a tape and you can hear her quite clearly.

I was waiting for a Tribunal date but my case has been stayed twice - first waiting for the Donaldson hearing and now for the HMRC Appeal.

I would certainly put an appeal in.

Good luck.

DD

Happy to help, and I'm sorry I don't know more.

I searched the site about this when I was appealing and there isn't very much here, but you could try. I can't remember the names of the threads, but there wasn't too much on them. Might be worth a look though as your case is different to mine.