Carer's Allowance - Worse Off?

Ros1609
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3788 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

At the moment I'm a stay at home mum with two children.

I claim Income Support as a lone parent, Child Tax Credits, Council Tax Support, Housing Benefit and Child Benefit.

I also receive Child Maintenance from the kids dad.

My son is disabled and receives DLA at the Middle Rate for Personal Care so he also gets the disabled premium on the Child Tax Credits.

I am subject to the Bedroom Tax so pay about £68 a month in rent and council tax.

I had a work focused interview at the start of October

and my adviser gave me a form to fill in to claim Carer's Allowance for my son but didn't explain a lot about it, just said I'm entitled to it.

I filled in the form, sent it off and it got accepted

from the 11 Nov I'll get Carer's Allowance as well.

However I've since found out its classed as a taxable income will my Housing Benefit and Council Tax support etc be reduced thus I have to pay more?

I already know my Income Support has dropped to £45 per week.

Just worried that any 'extra' money the Carer's Allowance brings will be swallowed up in rent etc

So I'll just keep paying what I pay now or will the amounts go up even slightly? I'm just waiting for a letter with the amount of Carer's I'll get on it before I start ringing round various places to inform them. Also will the Child Tax Credits go down? Sorry for all the questions, I'm on such a tight budget I need to know what to expect

Just to update. I had the letter confirming my CA award on Friday so spent this morning phoning round various places i.e. Tax Credits and the local Council to update my details. Just got to wait for some letters to be sent out to see if anything will change but the advisers I spoke to don't seem to think I'll be affected too much. I also had a nice back payment (fully declared today) go into my bank on Friday

Poetgirl I'm afraid I don't know the answer to your question. Hopefully someone with a little more knowledge on the subject will answer it for you

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply. I have rang the tax office this morning and they said that if it is my only income then it doesn't need to be declared. Just thought I would post that incase anyone else looks for the answer.