• Tweets

• Long story short son owes parking fines I have to DCA chasing him at my address, an address he hasnt lived at in over a year. He has rang them offered monthly payments which to me is good as he is on furlough and only works 27 hours a week anyway but they refused. One debt is 200 the other 300. I have rang them up told them he dont live here and I do not know his address which I genuinely dont.He isnt on the electoral role and never has been. All i get is cocky remarks and lies one guy said well he spoke to me last week and confirmed he lives there which is a lie! How do I get them off my back and yes Ive told my son to sort it out! Im dreading the confrontation when they do catch me in and I open the door. Any help or advice would be great thanks. Oh one DCA is Marstons the other I cannot remember.
    • So update ,  no result yet , as submissions went to 3.30 and judge wanted to go home and send decision in post    their barrister was horrible , tried to put words in my mouth , tried to get judge to allow them to change pleadings to an oral agreement instead - and amend their particulars - it was denied    which then meant their citations didn’t work ,  as they relied on oral stuff not allowed    so no further  forward yet - when things weren’t going his way, basically told judge to disregard my witness st and called me a ‘liar’    I’m sorry that’s a a serious allegation , and all my WS was backed up by evidence    so frustrated not to get an end today    my barrister said , a little positive is that judge hasn’t awarded favour to them instantly and told us off for wasting his time, so he obviously sees merit in our defence and is giving it full consideration 
    • ElspethR - suggest you read the site link to class action.
    • New to the forum, After being duped into signing over my pension fund for a loan i was hammered with a hefty tax bill of nearly £25,000 which im paying off monthly forever after alot of negotiating. This was back in 2011 and battles have been ongoing for a decade with little success. I can't believe a company can do this to my Sipp with no way of seemingly ever recovering a penny. There is alot more access to information now than in 2011 about pension scams when i believe it was looked upon that we were naive with our futures. Out of interest has anyone out there had any success in recouping any money lost? Thanks
    • I was just surprised there was only a single reference both to "consent" and to "inalienable natural common law", but no references to either admiralty law or the legal person...
  • Our picks

• I sent in the bailiffs to the BBC. They collected £350. It made me smile.
        • Haha
    • Hi @BankFodder
      Sorry for only updating you now, but after your guidance with submitting the claim it was pretty straight forward and I didn't want to unnecessarily waste your time. Especially with this guide you wrote here, so many thanks for that
      So I issued the claim on day 15 and they requested more time to respond.
      They took until the last day to respond and denied the claim, unsurprisingly saying my contract was with Packlink and not with them.

I opted for mediation, and it played out very similarly to other people's experiences.

In the first call I outlined my case, and I referred to the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 as the reason to why I do in fact have a contract with them. 

In the second call the mediator came back with an offer of the full amount of the phone and postage £146.93, but not the court costs. I said I was not willing to accept this and the mediator came across as a bit irritated that I would not accept this and said I should be flexible. I insisted that the law was on my side and I was willing to take them to court. The mediator went back to Hermes with what I said.

In the third call the mediator said that they would offer the full amount. However, he said that Hermes still thought that I should have taken the case against Packlink instead, and that they would try to recover the court costs themselves from Packlink.

To be fair to them, if Packlink wasn't based in Spain I would've made the claim against them instead. But since they are overseas and the law lets me take action against Hermes directly, it's the best way of trying to recover the money.

So this is a great win. Thank you so much for your help and all of the resources available on this site. It has helped me so much especially as someone who does not know anything about making money claims.

Many thanks, stay safe and have a good Christmas!

• Thanks
    • Hermes and mediation hints. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/428981-hermes-and-mediation-hints/&do=findComment&comment=5080003
      • 1 reply
    • Natwest Bank Transfer Fraud Call HMRC Please help. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/428951-natwest-bank-transfer-fraud-call-hmrc-please-help/&do=findComment&comment=5079786
      • 33 replies
  • Recommended Topics

400,000 people had their Jobseekers sanctioned

Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 2651 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did read that - it's pretty bad. As the CPAG guy pointed out, if sanctions were really effective, there'd be fewer of them, not more.

As to how JCP staff sleep at night, well, would you prefer that they all walked out and that there was no-one to pay benefits? How would that be a help to claimants?

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

G4s employ sadists (note the job requirement if you want to join their firm) and they like hurting people. I expect they sleep well just like any good Nazi.

Edited by Perseus1

I think many don't care or claim it's the jobseekers fault

Some I have met would probably reach ecstasy at sanctioning people

Plus many claim to only worry about the rules

There's something about this on Twitter. I can't understand at all why you get sanctioned for missing your signing on appointment if your reason for missing it is because you have an interview. If you miss the interview, you'd be sanctioned too.

There's something about this on Twitter. I can't understand at all why you get sanctioned for missing your signing on appointment if your reason for missing it is because you have an interview. If you miss the interview, you'd be sanctioned too.

Sounds like jobsworths

I never had a problem with that - if I had an interview I called the office and asked if I could sign early or late and they were always OK with it.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

I have just found out I have missed a contract job because I was too busy messing about with the Work Programme. Extremely ****ed off. Rival got it instead which makes it worse as I am better at it.

With jobcentre staff (not counting the bad employees which you get everywhere), what are they supposed to do? It has been made public that there are targets and staff are monitored for the number of sanctions and face action if they are not seen to be performing.

If you are on the sharp end of administering the system, the last thing you want to do is resign, be sacked or be more likely to be chosen for redundancy due to ethical issues with sanctions. The one thing worse than having a job you hate at the moment is having no job at all and having to claim JSA - seeing your colleagues every two weeks when you sign.

There is no right path for these people.

We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office ~ Aesop

Tip: if you miss a JobCentre signing on appointment, the best thing to say is you are ill with a cold. This is easiest for them and they can OK your money straight away. After you have filled in a form and signed it. Make it more complicated and it might have to go to an assessor and it will be delayed even more.

I expect you can only do this once, perhaps twice, a year.

With the WP it might be best to go in even if you are badly ill.

Edited by Perseus1
Tip: if you miss a JobCentre signing on appointment, the best thing to say is you are ill with a cold. This is easiest for them and they can OK your money straight away. Make it more complicated and it might have to go to an assessor and it will be delayed even more.

No, they can't OK your money - you need to complete and return form JSA28 before you can be paid if you miss a signing on day.

You're correct in that you can only do this twice in any rolling one year period, for a maximum of 14 days for each. During that time you can be exempted from actively seeking employment, and that includes mandatory WP appointments. Someone who is forced to miss a WP appointment through illness should also contact the Provider.

Tip: if you miss a JobCentre signing on appointment, the best thing to say is you are ill with a cold. This is easiest for them and they can OK your money straight away. Make it more complicated and it might have to go to an assessor and it will be delayed even more.

I have been ill whilst on the WP with no issues apart from a staff member who didn't know anything

At least they don't have problems with arthritis

At least people with arthritis still have their limbs. We could go on like this all night.

Just don't intentionally spread contaminants around the place, people. It's not rocket science to figure out why it's a terrible idea.

If you get ill the WP think you are skiving. My interpretation of their punitive measures.

What they "think" is irrelevant. If you're covered by a JSA28, you can't be sanctioned.

What they "think" is irrelevant. If you're covered by a JSA28, you can't be sanctioned.

It might prompt them to send a non-compliance form to the Job Centre, if they are vindictive or they don't like you anyway. They have done that already though. They might even fill in one of the fraud forms. Even if you are innocent, they go over your claim with a fine tooth comb and they may find a procedural abnormality (e.g they have mislaid a form). It has happened before. It is really confusing.

Or why am I getting grief?

Edited by Perseus1

You're getting "grief" (if you choose to characterise it that way) because what you are saying is not true and could cause people reading this unnecessary distress.

If you fail to show up to a WP appointment, the provider will send a referral to the Jobcentre. When the DM looks at it and sees the period is covered by a JSA28, they will take no further action.

WP providers can't fill in fraud forms and JCP staff don't have time to hassle every jobseeker who ever missed an appointment because of a nasty cold or a bout of stomach flu.

You're getting "grief" (if you choose to characterise it that way) because what you are saying is not true and could cause people reading this unnecessary distress.

If you fail to show up to a WP appointment, the provider will send a referral to the Jobcentre. When the DM looks at it and sees the period is covered by a JSA28, they will take no further action.

WP providers can't fill in fraud forms and JCP staff don't have time to hassle every jobseeker who ever missed an appointment because of a nasty cold or a bout of stomach flu.

Sorry. I am over-reacting. I think I am being investigated (too much for coincidence). Somebody must have started it as I have not done anything wrong.

WP have been hostile from the very beginning. Not just ordinary. Everything was an accusation. I did not go into the WP with any preconceived notions, except I expected them to be helpful (or at least neutral).

Unless investigations are obligatory for anyone signing on WP.

Missing a Jobcentre signing-on is a bit of a hassle and it is best to make it in if you can.

Agreed - missing a signing on day is hassle, even if covered by a JSA28, since you need to get hold of the form and then get it back to JCP before any payment can be issued.

As to your being investigated, do you have any particular reason to believe this? I mean, many folks here have reported hostility and other unpleasantness from their WP advisers, but WP advisers have no say on fraud investigations. Perhaps it's just that they're clueless, offensive and have cynical motives. If someone has falsely reported you for fraud, say, the WP staff won't know anything about it.

Agreed - missing a signing on day is hassle, even if covered by a JSA28, since you need to get hold of the form and then get it back to JCP before any payment can be issued.

As to your being investigated, do you have any particular reason to believe this? I mean, many folks here have reported hostility and other unpleasantness from their WP advisers, but WP advisers have no say on fraud investigations. Perhaps it's just that they're clueless, offensive and have cynical motives. If someone has falsely reported you for fraud, say, the WP staff won't know anything about it.

Thanks for the reply.

Yep, I know as certain I can be I have been reported both under the following procedures

1) raising doubts over my compliance with the work programme mandates, but I have complied with my Job Centre agreement

2) reported as suspected fraud

Both occurred less than week after I visited my WP Advisor. Two separate occasions.

I can read people well enough to hazard a guess who made the reports.

This is not clueless (except in the sense of without evidence or clues), sneaky and underhand rather than offensive, and vindictive rather than cynical. It is a toxic environment there at G4s. I know the difference between deliberate bullying and zealots.They are out of control.

Other participants said that the direct sanctions were threatening but did not work. Although, it is obvious that some people have had their benefit suspended although in the one case I know the sanctions seem to have been overturned before a formal appeal.

I know from talking to other people I am being treated worse than other people. The Manager has intervened in two out of three interviews.

But this is the same old story. But it is not, it is much worse than other reports with people taken into a separate room and group berated like a criminal by three or four people. I have not reports of this happening elsewhere. I think I would report it to the Police under threatening behaviour if if happened to me.

The only action I have taken is I asked by Job Advisor not to pass any confidential information on to the WP Advisor. She has said she is allowed to because of the data protection restrictions, but that does not mean senior officers cannot do this under the contract.

I think I might have to put this is writing to the Job Centre. Who should I address the letter to please? This is a risky procedure because they may contact the WP and escalate the conflict and make reconciliation fraught, not just impossible.

I first of all but the conflict down to incompatible personalities but it is gone past that now.

Edited by Perseus1