Northern Rock/Pinnacle PPI advice please

Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 2577 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hi there

First post here!

After speaking to an IFA about our financial position, I realised that we had PPI on two accounts with Northern Rock (through Pinnacle, and both were sold to us for our mortgage, one at first application and the second one when we topped up the mortgage for a house extension).

When we applied for them we were told we must have them in place or the mortgage wouldn't be approved. Our IFA told us that wasn't allowed and that we had a claim for PPI.

So I followed the process, and sent off the questionnaire to Pinnacle in early August and received a letter back saying that PPI claims had to be dealt with through NR as they were responsible for selling them to us and Pinnacle were only underwriting them. Pinnacle then sent the letter on to NR.

In early September I received a letter from NR saying that they were looking into the claim. Then I received another letter in early Oct saying that they hadn't been able to look into the claim properly, and that they hoped I'd give them more time to look into it.

I've now received another letter today, saying that they haven't been able to look into the claim properly yet and that they hope to be able to do it within four weeks, but if they can't, then they'll update me at that point.

This is the only PPI we've ever had, and we only took it out because we were advised to by NR.

I wouldn't usually take out any PPI as my husband and I both had jobs (at the time) which would have paid a generous redundancy and full sick pay for six months.

My husband was made redundant in April and, according to our IFA, because he had a redundancy payout,

we wouldn't have been able to claim the PPI.

Now we are self employed, the terms of the PPI exclude us anyway.

So needless to say I cancelled both policies straightaway.

What should I do now?

Leave the NR to investigate and come back to me within 4 weeks or take it elsewhere (presumably the FOS)?

I'm in no hurry for the money to come back, just as long as it does come back!

Many thanks :)

they ideally by FOS guidelines only have 8 weeks!!

don't forget reclaim on both policies too!!

have you all the statements to be able to tell what they have charged& what the reclaim should be?

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

I have (or can get) bank statements, showing the amount taken off each month. Is that what you mean? I;'d have to have a rifle through my documents to see if they send me a yearly statement, off the top of my head, I don't think they do.........?

So by FOS guidelines, they're overdue? They did send me a leaflet about the FOS, but the letter said they hoped I'd give them more time.

Sorry, what I mean is that I don't think Pinnacle have ever sent me a yearly statement, the payments have just come out of our bank account as direct debits. NR send us a yearly mortgage statement though, which I have from years back, but that doesn't detail the PPIs.

you need to get all the mortgage statement here me thinks

if it was a lump sum paid at the start to 'someone'

then your mortgage company IS responsible.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

A Northern Rock sold Cardif Pinnacle Policy will always be a monthly paid policy - because it is essentially a pay as you go policy and there is no credit Northern Rock are not required to send you a yearly statement and payments will not show on your mortgage statement. In the vast majority of cases your payments will have remained constant throughout i.e you were sold a second policy rather than amending the first one. i.e if you know the start date you can calculate how much you have paid for each policy and use the 8% statutory interest spread sheet to calculate the interest. Alternatively Pinnacle should be able to provide a full premium history,

In terms of the 8 weeks to investigate, if your lender hasn't finished the complaint in this time they must advise you that you are able to go to FOS hence the letter with the leaflet - i.e You can go to FOS when you receive a decision or if you haven't received a decision within 8 weeks. My own view is always to escalate to FOS at the earliest opportunity due to the massive queues - If NR make an offer that is correct whilst your case is awaiting a FOS decision you can always withdraw your complaint from FOS (But never do so until you receive the actual payment)