Miselling Preapproved Car from Toyota

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3820 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, I was wondering if someone could help me.

I bought a car three months ago from Toyota, on the day of picking up that car, it broken down and eventually the battery went flat within a month. As a preapproved car they are meant to be fully serviced, have have their preinspection checks and any MOT advisory issues on the MOT to be rectified according to Toyota.

Ive asked for the preinspection checks which the garage don't have, and when I went through the servicing documents the car was due for a service the week after I picked up the car, and on the day of receiving the car I found that two of the tyres had advisory items which means I need to get them replaced soon. They've lied to me before when I requested an engine oil change because it was a dirty brown color and they stated that the car was not due for service on an invoice in september which is a month after a service was due.

They have only agreed to change the tyres if they see fit which is ridiculous as I paid extra for a preapproved car on the understanding that cars are fully serviced and MOT issues are rectified. I know that they have breached contract in the SOGA and OFT unfair selling regulations. They've said that this is the most they will do for me seeing as I've had the car for three months even though I stopped using the car since the start of october and I've told them this in correspondence.

They are refusing to accept any fault, and even though I've highlighted my concerns many times they are not dealing with me seriously. I don't want to have to take this to court as it has wasted enough of my time trying to get through to them. I have also contacted head office who refuse to deal with it as I purchased a preapproved honda from them rather than a toyota.

I'd be grateful for any advice, thanks!

Why did the car break down? mechanical failure, anything that happens to a car such as mechanical failure within the first six months the garage has to repair or give you your money back....

have read of this...

oft.gov.uk/ shared_oft/reports/676408/oft1242.pdf

read it carefully and pick out the points relevant to you and then just let them have it :)

Thanks for your reply. I have already 'let them have it' unfortunately.

The car broke down because the battery went flat, but they've since replaced it whilst blaming me for leaving my lights on, which is impossible.

They wont acknowledge how they misrepresented the car to me and continue making it out as if it is my fault that the battery ran flat and that I am being out of order requesting the tyres to be changed. I know having a second hand car you aren't meant to expect a perfect condition but I would expect if you've promised through a preapproved car scheme that you would have cars fully serviced, with preinspection checks and rectifying any advisory issues before selling it on.

Does anyone know of which trading bodies I can go to in order to complain? I have spoken to the CAB who have been helpful but have told me that it wouldn't be likely that I would win a court case as the car is not unroadworthy, but I would have assumed misrepresenting a vehicle would be enough in court? Its been hard finding a trading body which takes on these complaints which is why it is still a reoccurring issue in the news. I think it would be unfair for them to do this to customers especially targeting people who are unable to fight back because of lack of regulation or support.

Motorcodes are the people you need to talk to! To be honest looking at this as an outsider I don't think there is much else you can do! They have replaced everything you have asked them to do.

If you still want to go ahead I will get an rac inspection on the car and use that report as ammunition you will of course have to pay about 150 quid I think. This will check everything on the car and if you win at court you can claim that cost back.

But if I were in your shoes I would just leave it as it's not worth the trouble versus any compensation you get!

But just keep a keen eye on everything on the car and any issues take it straight back...

Thanks for your reply. I have already 'let them have it' unfortunately.

The car broke down because the battery went flat, but they've since replaced it whilst blaming me for leaving my lights on, which is impossible.

Your opening post suggested the car broke down, and then the battery 'went flat'.

The issue is of course down to an electrical issue, but whether that is the fault of the vehicle or the user is what is currently under dispute.

You say the supplier has changed the battery at some point, has this cured the issue ?

Lights are near the top of the list of the most common devices left on by owners, however this could be a number of items depending on the model. Most cars will have a circuit where the indicator will illuminate one side of the vehicle when parked if the stalk is left in a certain position. Then there is the radio and /or sat-nav system, potentially a inboard courtesy light (which may be in the boot or glove compartment if not immediately visible), and even something connected to the cigarette lighter. All of these are outside the scope of investigation by the dealer even if the vehicle was delivered back to them.

We had an issue with pre-approved car where the tyres required replacing which were only just legal, but luckily I had spotted it prior to signing any documents. We had to come back the next day. So not an isolated incident regarding tyres.

Thanks for all the advice! Well they've not replaced the tyres yet and I'm hoping they will (if they deem it unfit) , I just think its bad practice to promise if you can't deliver! They've just been such a pain to deal with, I will never buy from Toyota again!

The battery went flat the day i drove it off the forecourt, luckily i had stopped outside Halford and had someone from there help me get it running again. The car lights are on auto so I know that I definitely did not leave the lights on. They have changed the battery, but they said that everything was fine at the time of testing meaning that there must have been some mechanical reason for the car to not start if it wasn't a due to a faulty battery.

In regards to the RAC inspection, if I get an inspection done by them and there's a few faults can I legally ask them to fix all the faults and get the £150 back or can that only be done through courts? To be honest if they're stingy enough to refuse to change the tyres, it'd be unlikely they'd pay the inspection fee!

Anyway once again, thanks for all your input!

When I went in to ask them for proof, the sales advisor was completely unaware of any preinspection checks on the car, it was only when his manager discussed it with him that he said that they would have checks but they aren't on their system. To be honest I wouldn't be suprised if they create a backdated preinspection sheet. They did the MOT for the car the day after the sale so they were obviously just trying to make a quick sale, the advisory section mentions the two tyres and the MOT company said that they only put an advisory on it if its less than manufacturers recommended. But even still, these tyres are legal, which is Toyota's argument. Anyway it's being taken in today for checks, service and they might change the tyres if they think it needs changing.. thats a big IF. They've said that they will provide written documentation on all the checks they do on the vehicle, so fingers crossed they'll be decent enough to do it all properly!