court claim by Capquest on LLoyds current A/C OD from 1999!!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3741 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi everyone,

This is my first post so I apologise if I am in the wrong section for this type of query. A forum member at Moneysaving Expert recommended I ask for help/advice from CAG and I have spent the last couple of hours looking over posts but I just need a bit of clarification if anyone can help.........

My husband received a claim form through the post from a county court on Tuesday.

The claimant is a DCA and on the claim form they say that a Notice of Assignment

has been sent to him to explain that they now own the debt.

The sum they are claiming with solicitors costs is just under £6,000

and they state that it relates to the Lloyds Banking Group.

My husband had a debt with Lloyds which defaulted in 1999 .

The debt is made up almost entirely of bank charges that piled up when he went over his overdraft after he was made redundant.

Since then he has lived at the same address but in the intervening years there have been no letters or phone calls...nothing until now.

We have filed an acknowledgment to the court and asked for the full 28days

but looking through all the posts that seemed similar to our case

I think that this is a statute barred debt

but if someone could just confirm that they agree or disagree with me I would be very grateful.

One big worry that I have got is that the DCA registered the default date as being 2008.

This is definitely wrong but does this affect our claim that it is statute barred debt?

If anyone can point me in the right direction regarding the correct templates to base our letters on I would be grateful.

Do we send any correspondence only to the court or to the DCA as well ?

Any advice very much appreciated

Thanks in advance

Elizabeth

Hello Elizabeth and welcome to CAG. I have moved you to the correct forum where you will receive advice.

Can you please let us know the following..

1: What is the date of issue on the claim form - you will find this top right hand corner of the claim form

2: When was the date of the LAST payment made to the account

3: Who is the DCA - forget this one, it is CapQuest :)

4: Did you actually receive a Notice of Assignment

The Default date on your Credit file is irrelevant. The date from which you start timing SB is from when a payment is due and then missed.

There is a defence specifically for statute barred accounts, so we can indeed help you on that.

If you can answer the questions above, I will try and find someone who can help further :)

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Oops.. sorry, forget the answer to who is the DCA, it is in the title of your thread !!!

This is the Statute barred defence.

1 The Claimant's claim was issued on (date).

2 The Claimant contends that the Claimant's claim so issued is a claim in contract and is statute barred pursuant to the provisions of section 5 of the Limitation Act 1980. If, which is denied, the claimant contends that the Defendant is in breach of the alleged contract, in excess of 6 years have elapsed since the date on which any cause of action for breach accrued for the benefit of the Claimant.

3 The Claimant's claim to be entitled to payment of £x or any other sum, or relief of any kind is denied.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

BCOBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

This being a Current Account Overdraft you will need to request information.If you could type out (verbatim) the claimants particulars (less any identifiable Data.)

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?387483-LEGAL-CPR-31.14-Request-when-Claim-is-being-made-for-a-Current-Account

Regards

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

Hello CitizenB

Thank you so much for this...much appreciated. Please see below the answers to your questions:

1. Issue date is 25th October

2.Last payment was made to the account in 1999

3.Capquest

4. No letters received from them at all -would the Notice of Assignment been sent with a letter? Basically we haven't received anything prior to this claim form from the court

Many thanks

Elizabeth11

Hi Andyorch

The particulars of the claim are

The claimants claim is in respect of Contractual charges applied to a current account held with lloyds banking group Orginal Creditor. Demand for payment has been made and not complied with. A notice of assignment has been sent to the defendant notifying them that this debt has been assigned to the claimant. The claimant therefore claims the sum of 5,508.68 plus costs. The claimant has complied with sections III and IV of the practice direction on pre-action conduct.

Many thanks

Elizabeth11

Hello CitizenB

Thank you so much for this...much appreciated. Please see below the answers to your questions:

1. Issue date is 25th October

2.Last payment was made to the account in 1999

3.Capquest

4. No letters received from them at all -would the Notice of Assignment been sent with a letter? Basically we haven't received anything prior to this claim form from the court

Many thanks

Elizabeth11

Your timeline is as follows..

Issue date 25th October + 5 days for service = 29th October + 14 days to acknowledge = 12th November + 14 days to submit defence = 26th November.

If you are going to defend, then you need to acknowledge by the 12th November - you can do this online using the password and claim number, both on the claim form.

I think you have already been advised by andyorch to send off CPR request.

Although if the last activity on the account was in 1999, I cant quite see where CapQuest is going with this because it looks as though it is statute barred !

BCOBS

Hello CitizenB

Many thanks for this. So ...just to make sure that I have got this..do we send off the CPR request to Capquest along with a letter saying that we believe this is statute barred as well as a letter regarding the incorrect default date on the Equifax file? And if we do should we send this to the court as well?

Sorry..edited to ask ..should he sign these or any letters sent?

Thanks again

Elizabeth11

Edited by elizabeth11

I am not sure there is any point in writing to CapQuest advising statute barred status. Perhaps andyorch could answer that question :)

CPR should go to the solicitor named on the claim form.

There is no reason why hubby shouldn't sign anything at this stage.. he could make his signature slightly different to his usual one. Or sign over a grid of "X's".

BCOBS

• 2 weeks later...

Hi !

Following advice to a question we posted regarding a claim from the county court we sent off a CPR request to the Dca. We did this by recorded delivery on the 4th and we received a letter dated the 5th Nov saying that they had requested the details and would get back to us in due course. There has been nothing further from then since then so as 7 days have now elapsed can anyone advise what we should do now? Assuming that we should not give them anymore time to respond do we write to the court with a copy of our letter,their reply and ask for the court to consider the situation ...or is there a form ? If any experts out there could help us draft this I would be very grateful. I don't know if it is necessary to make this point to the court but we are 100% certain that we never received any official notification that the account defaulted.

Many thanks in advance

Elizabeth

Is this in connection with your thread " court claim by Capquest on LLoyds current A/C OD from 1999!!" ?

Regards

Andy

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

Hi Andy

Yes it is...we still think that it relates to the lloyds account but don't know for sure because we have no details. Sorry ...should I have kept to the same thread? Apologies if I should have done this ....

Many thanks

Elizabeth

You simply have to now submit your defence by the 26th November elizabeth11

• 2 months later...

Hi again...Would be so grateful for a bit more advice on this, My husband filed the defence to the court in good time and sent the CPR 31.14 request to the legal services company acting for the Lloyds Banking group. We received an acknowledgment letter on 6th November but since then nothing, The court finally confirmed that they hadn't replied to our defence so can you tell me how we formally ask for the proceedings to be struck out please? If it is struck out or stayed what does this actually mean? Does it mean there has to be a minimum amount of time before they could start proceedings again for instance? We have now found that it has been listed as a default on my husbands credit file with a default date of 2009 too which is going to cause us huge problems.

Many thanks in advance

Elizabeth

The court will automatically stay any claim where the claimant doesnt respond to the defence.

I am not quite sure why your credit files are continuing to be updated. The account was defaulted in 1999 you have entered a statute barred defence. I would have thought reporting should be well ceased by now.

I wonder if it might be worth your writing to the Claimant (with a copy to the solicitors) along the lines of..

you entered a statute barred defence on DATE. Court has now advised that the claim is stayed. It is your opinion that the claimant should formally discontinue the claim. Alternatively you will apply to have the claim struck out and will be seeking your costs for doing so.

You also notice they are reporting the account to the credit files - when this should no longer be happening.

These are just my thoughts, I will ask others to look in on you.

BCOBS

I would also copy the ICO in and state that on their letter elizabeth.

Regards

Andy