Workplace Parking Levy - additional charge

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3823 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

The company I work for has decided to pass on the cost of the WPL to its staff. which is fair enough.

However, they have also decided to add on an additional amount of money which they say will go towards installing a new barrier and other controls.

The amount isn't small either.

If you want a 5 day permit, the actual cost is £334, but the company is charging £450.

Is this legal and can I refuse to pay this additional charge?

The more I think about it, it can't be right?!:???:

Your advice and thoughts would be much appreciated.

If it's private land they can set what charges the like.

They could charge employees nothing, even though it will cost the company £334 per space.

Or they could charge £1000.

there's nothing in the legislation to say employers can only charge employees the cost of the WPL permit

Yes, will check.

However, I've been thinking about what you said that the company can charge what they like for parking as it is their land.

Well, okay if that is the case, but surely they can't charge employees for the cost of works to the building or outside area?

That is what they are saying - staff are being asked to pay towards the cost of new barriers and the cost of people going round checking the cars.

That's like saying, "we're having a new reception area built and new carpet in the meeting rooms,

and staff have to pay a contribution to that".

If they had just said, "the cost of a 5 day parking permit will be £450, then that would have been that.

What do you think to that argument?

Yep, your employer is not bound to provide you with a parking space and the Nazis that run the town halls will fine them for not collecting the money. It has little to do with saving the planet or the public good but just a scheme to extract more money for themselves to waste elsewhere. It was challenged in court years ago when the congestion charge came in in London and a similar scheme in Oxford was adjudged to be legal. beatsd me how but that is the use of semantics to decide law rather than statute for you.

Well, I'm not asking about the workplace parking levy itself as I realise we have to pay that now, it's the extra cost they are putting on top of that and stating it's going towards buying new car park barriers, parking attendant costs etc. That's the bit that I don't understand why staff have to pay - surely that can't be right? I know the unions are arguing against it, so we will have to see what happens, I guess!

Thanks for all your replies but no-one has actually answered my question, sorry!

WPL = fine, no problems with paying that as I want to use my car and understand I now have to pay to park at work.

Extra money on top of WPL that the company has said will pay for new barrier/attendant costs = problem with this: is this a cost we have to pay under our terms of employment?

you have had the quesdtion answered in post 2. There is nothing that stops your employer charging what they want to and they can remove the parking concession completely. Not sure if they would still have to pay the council if they did this but many companies have done away with staff parking and rented out their car parks when assessed for rates on it.

vote out your council when you get the opportunity.