How many threads are genuine?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3818 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

There have been a number of blatant spoof threads on here recently so that got me thinking .

How many other threads, in which the individual details some extremely bad and unacceptable practices from a Bailiff, are actually genuine? And how many in which are genuine actually tell the whole truth of the situation?

There are threads where CAG members provide advice based on what they are being informed (can't do anymore!), but then the thread just slowly slips further and further down as the creator does not come back with an update and outcome.

Do you perceive from that, that the individual was not being honest or the thread was spoof? Or actually do a number of individuals resort to Private Message - but then that surely doesn't benefit others who have a similar issue?

Intrigued!

There are and always will be "keyboard terrorist and trolls' on public forums and those who post purely to disrupt threads with inappropriate advice and meaningless "discussions".

Then of course there are the Stalkers who pick on a user and disagree and disrupt everything just fir the hell of it!

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide:

Sorry state of affairs isn't it and unfair to the genuine individual. Also unfair on the members providing sound advice which in the end was meaningless and a waste of their time.

Sorry state of affairs isn't it and unfair to the genuine individual. Also unfair on the members providing sound advice which in the end was meaningless and a waste of their time.

It is indeed, and is one of the reasons I no longer advise on any threads.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

It is indeed very frustrating when this happens. As you say, people give their time and expertise, only to find they have been the victims of someone whose only purpose is to disrupt.

Whilst it might take some time, they are generally found out.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Sometimes of course , people get the situation resolved one way or the other and just fail to report back , or they gain the experience they need. It is a shame that they then don't use that knowledge to help others.

Of course some people genuinely want to help but just do not know enough about the situation or the law to do that, or have differing opinions to other posters. There is more than one way to skin a cat!

As for baliffs , I do not know anything apart from bits and bobs that may or maynot be urban myths therefore I do not contribute

Any opinion I give is from personal experience .

I report trolls, it is fairly easy to spot them (at least the threads/forums I follow). The site team do a good job in closing the threads that are contentious and they also remove posts which are irrelevant to the main theme of the thread.

If you (the original poster) are suggesting that this entire forum is false representation of bailiffs misusing their powers then you are sadly deluded.

There have been a number of blatant spoof threads on here recently so that got me thinking .

How many other threads, in which the individual details some extremely bad and unacceptable practices from a Bailiff, are actually genuine? And how many in which are genuine actually tell the whole truth of the situation?

There are threads where CAG members provide advice based on what they are being informed (can't do anymore!), but then the thread just slowly slips further and further down as the creator does not come back with an update and outcome.

Do you perceive from that, that the individual was not being honest or the thread was spoof? Or actually do a number of individuals resort to Private Message - but then that surely doesn't benefit others who have a similar issue?

Intrigued!

I think that the contrary is true, what you see on these forums is just the tip of a very large iceberg.

Bailiffs have been miss-using and overstating their powers for years before the public caught on. It is one of the things that the internet and these forums can be proud of in my opinion.

The odd individual case of outrageous behavior was reported , others thought ,hang on this has happened to me , then the flood gates opened and we got an idea of the scale of the problem.

The TCE bill was introduced as an attempt introduce a statutory framework which would simplify the regulation of the bailiffs(among other things), this was hijacked somewhat by people who thought it would be a good idea to increase the bailiff power to force entry, fortunately, and in no small measure to this and other forums these measures have been permanently shelved.

Sadly the possibility of bad and uninformed advice is a consequence of an online forum, you will get people who post either to boost some deficiency in their own life or even for financial gain, people in trouble are an easy target and will understandably grab at any straw of hope when in a desperate situation. A good forum will ensure that advice is as accurate as can be without limiting freedom of opinion, it is a delicate balancing act.

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES TO COLD CALLERS PROMISING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES FOR COSTLY TELEPHONE CONSULTATIONS WITH SO CALLED "EXPERTS" THEY INVARIABLY ARE NOTHING OF THE SORT

BEWARE OF QUICK FIX DEBT SOLUTIONS, IF IT LOOKS LIKE IT IS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE IT INVARIABLY IS

But when you ignore people you a) can miss a laugh b) be unable to debunk the rubbish they come out with c) don't do the genuine posters any favours.

Agreed , it is also a handy device for protecting yourself from the painful experience of being proven wrong.

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES FOR COSTLY TELEPHONE CONSULTATIONS WITH SO CALLED "EXPERTS" THEY INVARIABLY ARE NOTHING OF THE SORT

BEWARE OF QUICK FIX DEBT SOLUTIONS, IF IT LOOKS LIKE IT IS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE IT INVARIABLY IS

Agreed , it is also a handy device for protecting yourself from the painful experience of being proven wrong.

Well I have no problem being proven wrong, it is however very very rare as i am almost always right:madgrin:

I never accept you are wrong because I say so as valid proof

I never accept you are wrong because I say so as valid proof

Yep there is a lot of that :)

Clunks.....

Very good question indeed. Moderators and long time posters on the forum have had concerns for quite some time that "spoof" or"bogus" posts have been posted on the forum. That is a problem with any well known forum.

When it comes to bailiff enforcement, this particular site is known for providing sound...solid...acccurate information and in ALL cases will provide back up evidence. You only have to look at the threads that I have started regarding Form 4 complaints, Notices of Removals of Implied Right of Access and the legality of fees for HMCS fine enforcement to see what I mean.

Unfortunately, this forum and in particular; me and one other frequent poster (wonkeydonkey....who is on hols for a few days)..... are heavily criticised on another 'advice' forum on a daily basis. The main poster on that site is known to many on here and he has confirmed himself that he was banned from CAG. He also confirmed recently that he was also banned from LB (another forum).

He has returned to this bailiff forum on many occasions using different user names.

The queries raised using these "other identities" are mainly raised for one purpose only and that being to openly criticise the advice given by me.

It is now much easier to identity such posts as invariably they will relate to queries on fees for enforcing a court fine or the stupid Notice of Removal of Implied Right of access notices (which are ignored by all bailiff companies).

PS: I will not be naming the other websites or the person/owner's identity. If they are able to identify themselves from posts on here....that's their problem.

Edited by tomtubby

The vast majority of posts are genuine, and like others have already stated it's often very easy to spot spoof threads. In addition the site team has at its disposal a few tools to identify clones or people hiding between spurious IP addresses etc.

CAG should be about open discussion - and simply because someone has been here a long time or has a high post coun't doesn't mean that their contribution has more value, or is more technically accurate than a newcomer's. I think it's important to have balanced discussion for sure. I also think it's important for people to learn from any mistakes they make on the forums - I know I've been corrected on a few threads which were outside of my knowledge, and I welcome it.

Like Tomtubby has mentioned we do also get people here simply to cause difficulties. I find it a bit of a shame as ultimately the vast majority of us are all on the same side; so it makes very little sense to me. It's not an arms race!

The problem with people causing difficulties is that sometimes they may genuinely disagree with an approach that a person is taking ( Ok so these may be a very few of the few who do cause difficulties). It is noticeable how thinking changes, particularly in the area that interests me most which is debt . I have no idea if there were politics involved but it is , IMHO, great to see that a more open approach is the norm. I have had some very heated discussions with various people such as sequenci about the rights and wrongs of various DMP providers and advice agencies. I also know that because of my strident views there is at least one poster who would swear it is night if I said it was day regardless of the truth which is a shame. My approach tends to be more play nicely then you have the law to fall back on than sending threatening letters in the first instance.

If two people are interested in the same area but have differing views it is easy to think they are stalking each other .

Along with debt i also have some experience in wills and probate and landlord/tenant rights as well as some common sense.

I always know I am in trouble when I see certain names viewing threads I am on, normally IMS, CitizenB and Sequenci :madgrin:

I always know I am in trouble when I see certain names viewing threads I am on, normally IMS, CitizenB and Sequenci :madgrin:

I value you being on here. And I quite like the banter too. The thing about debt is that there can be, as you say, more than one way to skin a cat. And I would sooner people speak up for what they believe in than feel afraid to do so.

There are and always will be "keyboard terrorist and trolls' on public forums and those who post purely to disrupt threads with inappropriate advice and meaningless "discussions".

Then of course there are the Stalkers who pick on a user and disagree and disrupt everything just fir the hell of it!

I noticed a lot of people use to pick on you when you where a orange person !

It is indeed, and is one of the reasons I no longer advise on any threads.

Your kidding ?

The "ignore" list in the user CP is very useful!!

Wonderfully tool,never use it mind you eek.gifrolleyes.gif

Edited by 45002

Please use the quote system, So everyone will know what your referring too, thank you ...

I think he is lol but I know that he has said he is bowing out.

What I have really noticed is that people (probably myself included) do not bother to read a whole thread before weighing in with some opinion or other.

Just read a quote

"It is probably more than 6years since you paid, as it doesn't show on your credit ref file.

As long as you have not made written acknowledgement in the last 6 years, you will be able to enter a "statute barred" defence.

Not just bad advice but the OP had said clearly that it was less than 6 years and did appear on his credit file under the new owner.I am sure it was said with good intention but we all know where that rd leads

I noticed a lot of people use to pick on you when you where a orange person !

Your kidding ?

Wonderfully tool,never use it mind you eek.gifrolleyes.gif

Not Kidding at all!! It is a sad fact!

There is a thread on here somewhere, I think it is in the civil recovery section where, the OP asked for help with a court claim, apparently they were being taken to court. This came as a shock because these firms rarely take court action because they have a very dodgy cause of action, they rely on threats.

Later in the thread the OP mistakenly posted information which showed that they were in fact a representative of the claimant, I have been looking for the link perhaps someone can find it as it is relevant to this discussion.

Hi Clunk.

In answer to your initial post here are my thoughts and beliefs. First and most important is that the information I have received and acted upon has possibly saved my home from being repossessed, reduced my months outgoings and has given me the confidence to point other people in this forums direction.

I have always told my story to the best of my beliefs. There may be things I have have omitted because I genuinely did not think that they counted but, in reality, are important. Some of the details I think are too personal and do not want to be thought of as a complete idiot.( I am still looking for the parts I am missing) When I have acted upon advice it has sometimes been in contradiction to what one poster might advise but what another one has advised. On at least one thread I had to ask if people would stop the bickering and get back to giving me, and possibly others, the advice I sought. As for the ongoing situation that I am in well, I am still in debt but taking the advice given on mine and other threads. I have not had a complete success so I can't close any thread I have started. in other words I do read the forums almost daily and act upon the advice given. I do not offer specific advice to others as I have no expertise and do not want to give wrong and potentially illegal advice.

As for the Brig no longer givng advice then I am sorry to hear that as I have acted on some that he has given and it has helped my situation, so thanks Brig.