Tax Credits dating back to 2007

footix2

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2828 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

We just recieved a letter from HMRC advising us that we owe £218 in tax credits from the year ending 2006/7. Looking for advice on what I should do next.

To give you some background, we claimed tax credits when our son was born in 2006, and thanks to an error when we updated our details, we were overpaid around £1,000. The error I believe was their fault, as we rang up to change our details and the operative appears to have changed it to a solo claim, thereby disregarding my income (which was from a full time job).

I have never challenged this overpayment, and given the changing of rules, and time limits on disputes, it almost seems impossible to do this anyway.

Several hundred pounds was reclaimed via a reduction in our claim, and I later (around 2009) agreed to a repayment of £60 month. We had by this time given up on tax credits, and a little later we would be other threshold anyway. I maintained the repayment schedule for around 6 months, until a temporary pay cut forced me to cancel the DD.

Fast forwards to 4 years later, and here I have a letter advising me I have fallen behind with my repayments!

Now I appreciate I may have to pay this amount ultimately, but what are my options.?

I see no way of being able to dispute this now, given the rules changes.

I also believe that collection via the courts is probably now statute barred

I would be happy to arrange a repayment of say £20 per month with them, but ideally I don't want to pay it, given the time elapsed and te general feckelessness of the system when I was actaully claiming.

Advice please

23.08.06 requested copy statements via phone, was promised call back (it never came) :mad:

25.08.06 Statements recieved :)

http://www.taxcc.org/TCC_News/02/08/2013/is-your-case-over-6-years-old/

Are you sure about that?

I'm going to go down this route anyway. It's my understanding that VAT etc are no statue barred, but tax credit overpayments are, as outlined in the HMRC own manual.

They could take them from future claims of course, but I am way over the thresehold these days, so that can't happen.

Edited by footix2

23.08.06 requested copy statements via phone, was promised call back (it never came) :mad:

25.08.06 Statements recieved :)