Problems with landlord

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3822 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My daughter and her fiance's tenancy is up at the end of the month and they are moving to a new place. However, over the last few days the landlord has been coming round randomly and moaning about the state of the place (there's nothing wrong that wasn't there when they moved in), saying he'll have to replace the carpet throughout (this was after they'd had it professionally cleaned and it's now immaculate) and generally being a git.Today he actually let himself in and her fiance had to call the police to get him out, though they didn't do much as apparently it's a civil matter. It's obvious he's going to try and hang on to their deposit and I know they can appeal against this, but is there anyone they can complain to regarding the landlord's behaviour?The official inspection is tomorrow and I'm going to be there for moral support, but would like to know exactly where they stand.

The police were wrong. It isnt a civil matter when he gave no notice and let himself in to the house ( im guessing it is a self contained flat/house). It is effectively breaking and entering.

What you can do is this. When he give an "official inspection", before he turns up, take pictures of everything, just incase he tries to damage, or claim something is broken.

If he claims something is broken or dirty/needs cleaning, ask him to specifically explain in detail what he means. Do this for EVERYTHING he comments on.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

Thank you renegade imp. I'll follow your advice. I'm not surprised at the police, don't know what they're like anywhere else, but round here I get the impression that everything's just too much trouble for them and they'd rather not have to deal with it!

Most local police are like that. This is because they simply have no training in this area. The ones that actually do seem to do a good job are village officers, or small community ones.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

Sounds like a rogue landlord. You need to report him. Especially £200 for a 'credit check'.

Give their advice line a ring. Shelter are brilliant at things like this.

Fuming! Went with my daughter and fiancé to the house for inspection and landlord had already let himself in. He was completely unmoved when we protested and just said call the police if you want. He refused to discuss the £200 credit check fee (which he called a housing arrangement fee) or disclose who he'd gone through even though they have a right to know under data protection. Finally he's said he's keeping half their deposit for a new carpet, even though it's in the same condition as when they moved in. Nothing riled him at all. So what next?

Claim your deposit back, or notify the deposit scheme you have left.

Hope you took lots of photos and noted anything on the inspect report that you disagreed with.

You can open a dispute through the scheme about the amount of deductions etc. or you can just take LL to court.

Any deductions must be fair and take into wear and tear etc.

He must return any deposit not in dispute within 14 days of leaving.

You also MUST get in touch with shelter to confirm your legal position of a landlord letting himself in with no prior notice and with nobody around.

Thanks both. My daughter's already printed off TDS forms and there's plenty of photographic evidence. Her bloke also filmed the landlord letting himself in on his phone, and all of yesterday's conversation was recorded - though the landlord isn't aware of this. I'll ring Shelter today on their behalf as both are working. What I'd really like now is to know where the £200 'housing arrangement' fee went, but Mr. Landlord seems to think he's above the law and doesn't have to disclose this!

Incidentally, I acted as guarantor when they signed the tenancy and landlord said to me yesterday 'I might be coming after you for money and I can have a covenant put on your house'. As they've always paid their rent on time and gave the required notice, he's talking out of his backside, but surely this is intimidating behaviour? Wish I'd been more on the ball and asked what money he could come after me for, instead of just saying good luck with that matey!

My daughter and her fiance's tenancy is up at the end of the month and they are moving to a new place. However, over the last few days the landlord has been coming round randomly and moaning about the state of the place (there's nothing wrong that wasn't there when they moved in), saying he'll have to replace the carpet throughout (this was after they'd had it professionally cleaned and it's now immaculate) and generally being a git.Today he actually let himself in and her fiance had to call the police to get him out, though they didn't do much as apparently it's a civil matter. It's obvious he's going to try and hang on to their deposit and I know they can appeal against this, but is there anyone they can complain to regarding the landlord's behaviour?The official inspection is tomorrow and I'm going to be there for moral support, but would like to know exactly where they stand.

pammiec

Change the locks to stop LL entering without permission your daughter and bf home, in the end it's there home and they do have a right to privacy.

When changing the locks be carefully not to cause any damage to LL door and locks,then when your daughter and bf leave just change the locks back to LL ...

Good luck.

Edited by 45002

Please use the quote system, So everyone will know what your referring too, thank you ...

Nice idea 45002, but their tenancy ends today anyway. Spoke to a very vague young man at Shelter who said that the only thing we can do as far as the landlord entering is concerned is take him to the small claims court and sue for damages, though it would be very difficult to quantify. He didn't sound very hopeful anyway.

The ICO were more helpful about the withholding of info issue and said they should SAR him and if he fails to respond within 40 days put in a complaint through them.

You need to ask shelter to put you through to someone who actually has knowledge of the situation. Never be fobbed off by the first person who answers the phone.

Well what a surprise! My daughter and her fiancé vacated the property yesterday and they'd hardly shut the door behind them when it appeared for rent in the local paper - advertised as 'in excellent condition'! But at the inspection the day before it was 'in a state' and he was keeping half their deposit.