Pritti

ESA and training

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 2229 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

I sent in my ESA form last month before due date and am awaiting the result any day now. In the meantime, I thought that I should make plans in case they push me off. I can't face the prospect of all the hoops they want people to jump through. The thought of going through it all again makes me physically ill.

My thoughts were therefore to prepare myself for the worst and in that case find some kind of work, the kind I can do if and when I periodically feel well. One such idea is tutoring, of which I can do a few hours here and there. If I am careful with my health and take on only a couple of hours per week, then when I am ill on tutoring days, I can re-arrange the hours ie it would be very flexible. It's only an idea, to use skill, education and training I acquired 20 years ago.

However, I would need some kind of re-training or updating of skills eg computer skills, some kind of basic teacher's certificate, or get a new TESOL certificate to replace the one that never got sent to me 14 years ago, rather than continue the struggle to get it from the college.

Would the DWP pay for such re-training? ie a short part-time college course? It would be cheaper for them than keeping me on ESA, if I am able to tutor 4-5 hours per week and earn £80. At the moment I am not well enough to actually do this, but there are days when I feel I can manage it, with support. However, I cannot even begin to think of paying for this myself.

Does anyone know of any such provision by the dwp?

It depends on how old (or rather young) you are and where you live.

If you are under 35 there is plenty of funding around but over 50 and there is only the £250 on offer via the Prince's Trust after you complete a 6 week course with them (not full time, just a day or two each week). If it was £2,500 it would be far better!

The Turn2Us website has a grants section where you might find some suitable funding, also the local colleges sometimes have funding available for people with disabilities.

Thank you for this. I have been on the turn2us website but after typing in the required details (post code, age, gender) several times, failed to get in. Will try again.

What I really wanted to know is whether the dwp will pay for a course, to get rid of a claimant and in the interests of helping us back to work, as they claim they want to do

Hello there.

I've moved this to the benefits forum as your questions seem to be about the DWP.

My best, HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

I sent in my ESA form last month before due date and am awaiting the result any day now. In the meantime, I thought that I should make plans in case they push me off. I can't face the prospect of all the hoops they want people to jump through. The thought of going through it all again makes me physically ill.

My thoughts were therefore to prepare myself for the worst and in that case find some kind of work, the kind I can do if and when I periodically feel well. One such idea is tutoring, of which I can do a few hours here and there. If I am careful with my health and take on only a couple of hours per week, then when I am ill on tutoring days, I can re-arrange the hours ie it would be very flexible. It's only an idea, to use skill, education and training I acquired 20 years ago.

However, I would need some kind of re-training or updating of skills eg computer skills, some kind of basic teacher's certificate, or get a new TESOL certificate to replace the one that never got sent to me 14 years ago, rather than continue the struggle to get it from the college.

Would the DWP pay for such re-training? ie a short part-time college course? It would be cheaper for them than keeping me on ESA, if I am able to tutor 4-5 hours per week and earn £80. At the moment I am not well enough to actually do this, but there are days when I feel I can manage it, with support. However, I cannot even begin to think of paying for this myself.

Does anyone know of any such provision by the dwp?

I don't know about ESA but if you are on JSA I think training is very possible.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?407639-JSA-amp-Training(11-Viewing)-nbsp

I wanted my Doctor to give me a "Fit to Work" certificate but he would not do it. But I got on JSA anyway so I don't have to put disability on my applications. In the current job market, if you are older, and even if you are younger it might be best to have training. It does not mean you know everything. Far from it. A lot of it is experience.

Log on to Careers Advice when you think you are ready. I am just trying them out.

I will not say it is a good idea to go on JSA unless you get a job or training. There are not many jobs out there. Especially for the over sixties.

The snag is on Disability Benefit I could earn a few part time jobs, but this has all changed now. At least the dentist is free cause there wasn't a Tooth Fairy, just a bill.