mortgage interest and JSA linking rules

iain123
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3834 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi Group

Earlier this year in January while claiming JSA my Mortgage Interest help ran out as I had claimed MI help for the maximum 2 years.

I then returned to work in February but unfortunately became unemployed again in September and started claiming JSA again.

Will the 52 week linking rule mean that I am not entitled to MI help. As the new claim will be "linked" to my old claim which I had already received the maximum 2 years of MI help?

Thank you for your replies in advance

iain

For claimants or their partners who move into work or undertake programmes, there is a 52 week linking period where they were receiving payment of eligible mortgage interest when they left benefit to move into work or a prescribed government scheme. In such cases the claimant is treated as having been in continuous receipt of benefit and receives housing costs from day one of any linked repeat claim.

but

3.5 Two year limit for JSA claimants

From 5 January 2009 receipt of SMI has been limited to two years for Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA) claimants.

I dont think you will be entitled to help with the mortgage on the new claim

but when you make the claim declare the mortgage and see what happens