350 Ex military dogs put down.

citizenB
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3808 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I truly hope this was due to health reasons and for no other !

More than 350 retired British military dogs have been destroyed since the start of 2009, figures have shown.

The Ministry of Defence (MoD) confirmed it had put down 42 dogs due to a "dangerous temperament", while 27 developed cancer-related health problems.

The majority (117) were put down due to "age and welfare" reasons, while 76 had osteoarthritis.

Figures obtained by the Press Association show four were killed in action in Afghanistan, while another had to be destroyed due to injuries sustained in a road accident.

A further 419 dogs were rehomed between January 2009 and mid-June this year, the MoD said.

Read full story : -

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/350-ex-military-dogs-put-down-101442721.html#JTJo026

I do appreciate because of their training, they might not be suitable as family pets once they have been retired. But there must be some place for them.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

It is hard and I am not sure that all dogs can be reprogrammed. Don't they say that there are certain dogs that can never retire, some collies, greyhounds etc.

I love dogs more than people and have shed tears by the bucketful when I have had to have my two dogs put down but sometimes it is the kindest option

Any opinion I give is from personal experience .

Don't agree Fletch. A dog is only what man makes him, and this he learns, therefore he can relearn in the right hands. I'll make a concession for this mental problem that crops up occasionally, a type of rage thing. Our vet on here will confirm if this is now a recognised condition. I believe it may have been caused by bad breeding practices, so all down to us again.

What do you think of this then. My mate is a KC judge and a Dog Whisperer and she deals especially with very psychologically damaged dogs, who are on their last chance or have been abandoned because of their behaviour. She helps anyone with a problem, hoping to avoid this sort of problem in the first place. She starts by putting them into a lovely clean kennel area, no speaking or touching, she gives them only what they need. This continues for about ten days, dog is fine, has all that it needs and learns that it is safe. Dog realises he is getting what he needs, and starts to trust again, and a bond forms very slowly. Then he can start to go out for short walks, a little on lead exercise, so she can see what the problems are. And all the time the dog is starting to trust her, and now will do as she says. After about 12 weeks, she'll pair the dog up with a suitable owner. She makes the new owner aware of former problems. I have yet to hear of a case where it has all gone wrong. Very rarely she will advise a PTS, she's never one to give up easily. She is honest with people as well, and much as they might love their dog, if he is causing problems and they are not the right owners, she will tell them "you either become suitable or the dog should be rehomed". Most people decide that they are going to become suitable, and she'll then work hard with them.

Sadly, there are not enough of these people out there, or leastways, not reliable ones. And there are not enough of us humans who actually do care about dogs enough to want to unpick the damage that man has inflicted in the first place, either deliberately or through ignorance.

'orrible old world out there really ain't it?

Well I am not going to argue about it and I do agree that there are bar stewards that are out there that should never be allowed to have a dog . However i do believe that just as some people are born bad ( I know lots disagree and blame the parents) some animals are born bad as well or sadly become so damaged that they can not be fixed.

It is hard work having a dog and some people can do it, others can't . Sad fact of life

Any opinion I give is from personal experience .