• Tweets

• okay, perfect and thank you so much for the help once again. so firstly i am going to initiate the breathing space, during this time it's likely ill receive a default. when i receive the default are you aware of how long it will take for me to know whether the OC have sold it off to DCAs? Once it's with the DCAs i do not need to worry as they cannot issue a CCJ only the OCs can Even if i decide to come an arrangement with the DCAs no point as the default will remain for 6 years paid or not paid I should only consider repayment if the OC still won the debt and then issue a CCJ? Just to confirm the default will not be seen after 6 years? No one can tell I had one then after 6 years ill be all good?
    • I'm not sure we were on standard tariffs - I've uploaded as many proofs as I can for the ombudsman - ovo called last night uping the compensation to 100 from 50 pounds for the slip in customer service however they won't acknowledge the the problem them not acknowledging a fault has caused nor are they willing to remedy anything as they won't accept the meter or formula was wrong.   I'd appreciate more details on the economy 7 approach and I'll update the ombudsman with any information you can share. 
    • To re-iterate and highlight my urgent question on this one: The N24 from the court did not include any instructions to submit paperwork 28 days before the date, unlike the N157 received for other smaller claims. Do I have to submit a WS for this court date? Link has!...
    • No, reading the guidance online it says to wait for a letter from the court. Should I wait or submit the directions? BTW, I assume that the directions are a longer version of the particular of claim accompanied by evidence, correct?
    • Thanks for opening, it's been another rough year for my family and I've procastinated a little.. Due to the age of my defaults on this and other accounts (circa 2021), I really need to avoid a CCJ as that will be another 6 years of credit issues. Mediation failed as I played the 'not enough info to make a decision' however during the call for some reason they did offer settlement at 80%, I refused. this has been allocated to small claims track, court date is June 3 and I've received their WS. I'm starting on my WS. They do appear to have provided everything required of them (even if docs could be reconstructions). Not really sure what my argument is anymore but I do want to attend court and see this through. Should a judgement be made against me then I will clear the balance within 30 days and have the CCJ removed - this is still possible isn't it? I'm going to be reading up today and tomorrow and hope you can provide me some guidance in the meantime. Wonder what your advice would be given the documents they have provided? I am now in a position to clear the debt either by lump sum or a few large installments - Is this something i should look into at this late stage? Thanks as always in advance
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Notice of Removal of Implied Right of Access......debtor loses in court and ordered to pay bailiff companies legal costs

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3234 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

This is absolutely fascinating... I've been doing debt collection work for 3 years now and a regular viewer and occasional poster on these boards. I've only come across this Freeman thing on here, and only then in the last 3 weeks or so...

No debtor I've come across in 3 years has ever tried to use any of it's ideas to avoid paying...

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is absolutely fascinating... I've been doing debt collection work for 3 years now and a regular viewer and occasional poster on these boards. I've only come across this Freeman thing on here, and only then in the last 3 weeks or so...

No debtor I've come across in 3 years has ever tried to use any of it's ideas to avoid paying...

Well one day soon you just might.Ask that TVL goon you may meet on your knocking.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!

TVL - Tv licencing.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

Where's the new thread? Surely you need a court order to prevent a 'visit' and a valid reason for doing it? Can you say you owe a company/council money so therefore you object to them being on your land and would like an injunction? A notice would not suffice. The law is pretty clear on what a DCA can and can't do and just asking them to leave is enough. So that just leaves you with bailiffs and again they are not going to take a blind bit of notice to something that has no legal implications.

Where's the new thread? Surely you need a court order to prevent a 'visit' and a valid reason for doing it? Can you say you owe a company/council money so therefore you object to them being on your land and would like an injunction? A notice would not suffice. The law is pretty clear on what a DCA can and can't do and just asking them to leave is enough. So that just leaves you with bailiffs and again they are not going to take a blind bit of notice to something that has no legal implications.

I have been busy trying to 'get my head around' yet another Statutory instrument released by the Ministry of Justice regarding the new bailiff regulations. I will be starting the new thread sometime later today. I promise.

I have been busy trying to 'get my head around' yet another Statutory instrument released by the Ministry of Justice regarding the new bailiff regulations. I will be starting the new thread sometime later today. I promise.

The MOJ reality black hole is growing deeper, have the draughtsmen been sucked into the singularity from whence nothing can escape? Are they in the style of Arfur Daley " 'avin a larf"?

A fortnight to go and they are still putting details out to digest and interpret.

It would be insulting a muppet to compare the MOJ to Kermit & Co

All required information and Q & A sessions along with any training should have been months ago.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!

Do you happen to be a politician? They tend to make promises....

The MOJ are spewing out further information on this rushed botched introduction of the new bailiff Regulatory framework constantly in a race against time, and maybe they will or already have taken steps to outlaw NOIROA to allow everyone including the 7th Day Adventists and other Door Knockers like Snotcall, Muck Hall and every DCA under the sun the right to knock a door.

It's Ok I am joking???????

By the way tomtubby , I have been reading some interesting things about you on that site, apparently you are one of them and varios other allegations about who owns Cag etc. It just makes me want to scream

Fletch..I do apologise. I only noticed this post of yours a few moments ago.

The untrue claims are well known and of course are completely untrue.

Sadly they originate from a "Walter Mitty' character (he claims to have been a professional diver in oil and gas exploration for BP with academic qualifications in marine geology before changing career to become a commercial pilot for a middle-eastern airline).

PS: I have no doubt however that he is being entirely honest with his claim that in his spare time he travels the UK holiday park circuit with a touring magic show playing ‘swirrly background music’ on a keyboard.

I will not comment further.

Fletch..I do apologise. I only noticed this post of yours a few moments ago.

The untrue claims are well known and of course are completely untrue.

Sadly they originate from a "Walter Mitty' character (he claims to have been a professional diver in oil and gas exploration for BP with academic qualifications in marine geology before changing career to become a commercial pilot for a middle-eastern airline).

PS: I have no doubt however that he is being entirely honest with his claim that in his spare time he travels the UK holiday park circuit with a touring magic show playing ‘swirrly background music’ on a keyboard.

I will not comment further.

Merry Entrails does not need the oxygen of publicity to be a complete berk unfortunately.

• 11 months later...

A debtor can remove right of implied access by displaying a notice at the entrance Lambert v Roberts [1981] 72 Cr App R 223. Placing such a notice is akin to a closed door but it also prevents a bailiff entering the garden or driveway, Knox v Anderton [1983] Crim LR 115 or R. v Leroy Roberts [2003] EWCA Crim 2753

administration and enforcement regulations 1992 regulation 45 para 7 a bailiff levying a distress may not commit an act of trespass the execute the levy. the human rights act states a public authority may not act in contrivention to a convention right, article 1 european convention of human rights- the peaceful enjoyment of ones possession.

also i believe a bailiff may not take personal computer equipment that may contain personal data as doing so could lead to a breach of the data protection act.

i have seen these posted some where and was wondering just how truthful this information was

A debtor can remove right of implied access by displaying a notice at the entrance Lambert v Roberts [1981] 72 Cr App R 223. Placing such a notice is akin to a closed door but it also prevents a bailiff entering the garden or driveway, Knox v Anderton [1983] Crim LR 115 or R. v Leroy Roberts [2003] EWCA Crim 2753

Administration and enforcement regulations 1992 regulation 45 para 7 a bailiff levying a distress may not commit an act of trespass the execute the levy.

The Human Rights Act states a public authority may not act in contrivention to a convention right, Article 1 European Convention of Human Rights- the peaceful enjoyment of ones possession.

Also I believe a bailiff may not take personal computer equipment that may contain personal data as doing so could lead to a breach of the Data Protection Act.

I have seen these posted some where and was wondering just how truthful this information was

I hope that you do not mind but I have put your question into easy to read sentences. In that way I can try to address each part. Secondly, the notice that you refer to is still 'doing the rounds' on popular Freeman on the Land sites although it's popularity has diminished considerably since the new bailiff regulations came into effect last April.

In relation to the legal case of Lambert v Roberts and the reference that:

"placing a notice is akin to a close door but it also prevents
a bailiff
entering the garden or driveway".

Sadly, the author of this notice has misled the public. The judgment in the cases referred to does not mention the word bailiff at all (I have read all the judgments referred to in that notice).

The reference to the Human Rights Act is important and in this respect, the ECHR will have been taken into consideration when the relevant Act of Parliament or Statutory Instrument was implemented. If an individual's personal possessions were unable to be taken then bailiff enforcement would cease forthwith.

Bailiffs very rarely take computers (in fact bailiffs are known to only actually remove goods from a debtor's home in less then 1% of cases). In fact, computer are now considered an 'exempt' item if it is required by the individual for business, self employment or education use.

Administration and Enforcement regulations 1992 regulation 45 para 7 a bailiff levying a distress may not commit an act of trespass the execute the levy.

The relevant regulation that you refer to are The Council Tax (Administration and Enforcement Regulations 1992 but most importantly, regulation 45.7 does not I'm afraid have the same wording that you have written above (ie: a bailiff levying a distress may not commit an act of trespass the execute the levy).

PS: I am shocked to see today that this thread that I started back in 2013 has been viewed 15,700 times !!!

The relevant regulation that you refer to are The Council Tax (Administration and Enforcement Regulations 1992 but most importantly regulation 45.7 does not I'm afraid have the same wording that you have written above (ie: a bailiff levying a distress may not commit an act of trespass the execute the levy).

The truth of the matter is that section 45.7 really said the following:

(7) A distress shall not be deemed unlawful on account of any defect or want of form in the liability order, and no person making a distress shall be deemed a trespasser on that account;

and

no person making a distress shall be deemed a trespasser
from the beginning on account of any subsequent irregularity in making the distress.

It is important to mention that regulation 45 (entitled Distress) of the Council Tax (Administration & Enforcement) Regulations 1992 was amended in April 2014 when the new bailiff laws were introduced.

The amended clause provides that if a liability order has been made that payment may be enforced by using the Schedule 12 'procedure' of the TCE Act 2007.

Of significance is Regulation 66 of Schedule 12 which applies where either an enforcement agent:

(a) breaches a provision of Schedule 12

or:

(b) enforces the debt when either the writ, warrant or liability order is defective.

Regulation 66.2 confirms that in either case:

'The 'breach or defect"
does not
make the enforcement agent, or a person he is acting for, a trespasser"

PS: Regulation 66 of Schedule 12 of the Tribunal Courts & Enforcement Act 2007 applies to all debts types, (council tax, road traffic debts and magistrate court fines).

(7) A distress shall not be deemed unlawful on account of any defect or want of form in the liability order, and no person making a distress shall be deemed a trespasser on that account; and no person making a distress shall be deemed a trespasser from the beginning on account of any subsequent irregularity in making the distress.

Yes this section is now no longer with us in any case, it was withdrawn by the TCE in the consequential amendment regulations. It was reinserted in the source legislation in section 66(2) of schedule 12 of the act.

Much of the case law mentioned is wildly misinterpreted in order to support a theory, which is par for the course for the FMOTL , if you try and search for the actual judgments you end up on one of their sites. I have found it difficult to see the actual"evidence", when I have found it , it says nothing like what they claim.

The interesting part about section 45.7(66.2) is that it says that the bailiff should not be a trespasser on any defect of the order,(it extends the rights available in a compliant order) so this would indicate that a compliant order gave an actual right of entry(not an implied one). This is why these removal of implied rights notices would never be of any use against a bailiff or an officer of a court enforcing a warrant.

In the case of civil debts like council tax etc, you can refuse entry to the home of the debtor this is a different thing entirely and is a result of common law which has been in force for centuries and never overturned by statute(unlike the rights of forced entry to enforce a fine, which was repealed in 2004 by the DVCVA).

The same requirements are still binding on the actions of bailiffs today even after the introduction of the TCE, this act repealed much common law but not this (although adjustments were made to modes of entry etc.).

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES TO COLD CALLERS PROMISING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES FOR COSTLY TELEPHONE CONSULTATIONS WITH SO CALLED "EXPERTS" THEY INVARIABLY ARE NOTHING OF THE SORT

BEWARE OF QUICK FIX DEBT SOLUTIONS, IF IT LOOKS LIKE IT IS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE IT INVARIABLY IS

What Regulation 66 of Schedule 12 has done is to clarify the position more strongly, more clearly ..and most importantly...in one place.....that a bailiff (or anyone that he is acting for) will not be considered a trespasser if there is any defect in the warrant, the writ or the liability order and furthermore, that the neither the bailiff (or anyone that he his acting for) will be considered a trespasser if he breaches any provision at all in Schedule 12

A final point as well here that needs mentioning is that Removal of Implied Right of Access notices are ignored by all enforcement companies, the bailiffs they employ and the local authorities and courts that issue the liability orders or warrants.

There is a 4 year old FOI request here on this subject:

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/removal_of_implied_right_of_acce

This is, I think, STILL awaiting an internal review.

It does seem the official bodies are not very keen to answer the question. In fact, one comment, made by a Mr Neil Gilliat, states he has noticed that many of the FOI reponses seem to be replied to by what he believes to be pseudonyms.

Does anyone know for sure if this internal review has happened yet or not?

There is a 4 year old FOI request here on this subject:

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/removal_of_implied_right_of_acce

This is, I think, STILL awaiting an internal review.

It does seem the official bodies are not very keen to answer the question. In fact, one comment, made by a Mr Neil Gilliat, states he has noticed that many of the FOI reponses seem to be replied to by what he believes to be pseudonyms.

Does anyone know for sure if this internal review has happened yet or not?

I saw this the other day,I think the problem here is that the question is based on a fundamental misunderstanding of the law so there can be no intellegable answer.

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES TO COLD CALLERS PROMISING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES FOR COSTLY TELEPHONE CONSULTATIONS WITH SO CALLED "EXPERTS" THEY INVARIABLY ARE NOTHING OF THE SORT

BEWARE OF QUICK FIX DEBT SOLUTIONS, IF IT LOOKS LIKE IT IS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE IT INVARIABLY IS

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3234 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks