Solicitor waiting

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3812 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My works solicitor has offered 500 to settle case yeh right! i have asked for 20k! haha

anyway hes not budging .......

tribunal is in one weeks time can they wait until the last day to settle? surely the court will blast them for the amount of work they put in just for there solicitor to "wait" knowing fine well they wanted to settle.

Can they wait until the last day?

Edited by ims21

Whether you accept any offer or not depends on the strength of your case. Last minute and even mid-hearing settlements are not uncommon and the Tribunal will not bat an eyelid nor criticise any party over it.

A solicitor will never settle for what you want unless they know they have no chance whatsoever of defending.

You say you have asked for £20k - how strong is your position? How realistic is that amount for the case that you have? What evidence have you got? What are your witness statements like? How confident are you about cross examining the Respondent?

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!

Yes but what if they offer and its like half way threw the case and im winning so refuse any settlement .......... and they then offer like 500 pound more than judge would . So then i end up not only losing compo but also i am responsible for their cost.. wat da hell for real?

Edited by ims21

And the other thing i perhaps should mention .

So they would rather pay for lawyer fees for going to tribunal rather than settle before? I take it any settlement during a tribunal is just because they realize there going to lose ie the tone of the judge , sounds a bit desperate.

Edited by ims21

Once again you need to look at the strength of your case. Even if you were to proceed to a full hearing and lose the case, a costs award would be very unlikely providing that your case had some merit, you have kept to the case management order deadlines and have not acted vexatiously in taking the case to Tribunal. It is a risk that you have to take when going to a Tribunal that the Respondent may offer you an amount which is unacceptable, you proceed to a hearing, win the case but actually get awarded less than the offer made prior to the hearing. It is always going to be a judgement call hence why you need to research what you would be likely to be awarded (which never amounts to what you have claimed!) if successful, together with the likelihood of you actually being successful.

If you win your case, or if you reach a settlement, you will not have to bear the other side's costs. Only if you lose may they make an application for costs, or if you were to withdraw the action and they felt that you had brought the case unreasonably and caused them costs unnecessarily.

The solicitor acting for the employer may be on a fixed fee, although they may also bring in a Barrister for the hearing itself depending on how much legal argument and skill at cross examination they feel might be needed.

The last time I had to pay for a solicitor's time it was well north of £100 per hour, and a barrister may well charge an amount running into several thousands per day.

Care to tell us an outline of the case and why you think that you have a strong claim to put before the ET Judge?

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!

No you may not rephrase. Emmzzi made a valid point, and I would have to agree that if you present the case in the way that you are putting across here, then you will be on the back foot from the start.

DONATE HERE

Good luck with it.

DONATE HERE

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3812 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks