style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3830 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Yesterday I got a phone call from my 19yo son in tears.

a bailiff had turned up demanding £860

this relates to non taxing of his car that has worked its way through the court system to get to the point of a warrant.

My son claims he never has seen anything from the courts but this is another issue.

My question is this

I don't live at the family home anymore even though I pay the mortgage,

my son lives with his mother who wasn't around when this was happening.

I spoke to the bailiff (on the phone) to explain that the house belongs to my wife and me and the content are ours

the bailiff said unless we provide receipts to prove we own the effects he will take 4 times the value of the debt.

He will also call the police to force entry to the house.

I was left with no option but to pay the money after ringing round to borrow what I could.

I am somewhat aggrieved that I was forced to pay this to prevent my possessions being taken away.

My question is this,

is it too late for me to do anything about this now I have paid,

as I could request a chargeback from the bank as this was paid under duress,

and can I re-wind the court case for my son?

Thanks for any replies.

the short answer to both I think is yes.

you should have or need to get a statutory declaration done concerning the house and its contents.

sadly as they usually do,

the bailiff has somewhat 'exaggerated' what people like the police can/not do here.

THEY certainly will not and cannot force entry!!

you are going to have to relay the story of not getting any paperwork etc etc.

as if it was sent lets say to the wrong address etc

he to can get things moving on that front too.

however, if he moved and did not inform the court etc etc

then it could complicate matters.

bit diff to guess without the full story though.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Thanks for the reply

So the steps I should go through are

1) request charge back from bank

2) compile a statutory declaration about the contents of the house (do I need a solicitor for this)

3) ask the court to set aside as docs were never recieved

Grateful for replies

I would await the more knowledgeable ones to appear

to confirm my thoughts

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

If this was a court fine and your Son did not receive' further steps notice' of this being passed to bailiffs, he can swear a statutory declaration at Magistrates which will re-wind the process. I presume that if this is agreed that the bailiffs will then be instructed to refund anything in excess of the fine. Worth a try.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

If this was a court fine and your Son did not receive' further steps notice' of this being passed to bailiffs, he can swear a statutory declaration at Magistrates which will re-wind the process. I presume that if this is agreed that the bailiffs will then be instructed to refund anything in excess of the fine. Worth a try.

Thanks for the advice my son will doing the statuary declaration monday

Is it possible you can find out and post details of how this came about originally. I would hazard a guess this is the DVLA and it went to Court, without any input from your son in which case he will have been fined the maximum.

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Is it possible you can find out and post details of how this came about originally. I would hazard a guess this is the DVLA and it went to Court, without any input from your son in which case he will have been fined the maximum.

From what I have established this is the DVLA for non tax on a car, he did get a letter from them originally but as he was unemployed he asked for time to pay, he heard nothing further till the bailiff

That sounds about right for them. Would the original Court have been Cardiff/Swansea as then you should be able to make arrangements to do a Stat Dec at a Court nearer to you on the basis of not knowing proceedings had been issued.

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

You should now do a statutory declaration regarding the house and it's contents - I have affixed a template which you need to take to a solicitor to have notarised (charge is £10 I think). Make sure you take a few copies of it and tell your wife/son to keep one near the front door - if the bailiff calls again post it to him through the letter box. You should also write to the bailiff company enclosing a copy of the stat dec - send by recorded delivery (with a covering letter) or there is a chance they could say they didn't get it.

Help us to keep on helping

Please consider making a donation, however small, if you have benefited from advice on the forums

This site is run solely on donations

My advice is based on my opinion and experience only. It is not to be taken as legal advice - if you are unsure you should seek professional help.

You need to be very careful to make sure that this is done correctly as it MAY be the case that a Statutory Declaration will NOT be accepted.

A debtor may ONLY do a Statutory Declaration in cases where it was not until a bailiff visit that he was aware of the conviction ( and this is what I am worried about).

You say that you son received something ( not sure what) and that he spoke to someone. You need to ascertain the following:

Did you son receive a summons?

Did he respond to it?

If so, did he plead guilty?

Did he receive a notice from the court to advise that a fine had been imposed?

If so...WHAT DID HE DO? If he spoke to the court at this stage then he will have great difficulty getting the court to accept a Stat Dec given that he knew about the fine and spoke to the court !!!

My personal opinion is that I would NOT have considered a chargeback at this present time. If the stat dec is accepted, the matter will be "rewound" and you will receive a refund in any event.

If the stat dec is rejected, the implication of doing a chargeback will almost certainly lead to a further visit by the bailiff.

Be careful for the moment. If you could respond to the above queries this would assist.