Probation Period

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3777 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, need bit advice if possible please, as most of you know I started a new job on 12/8/2013 after being unemployed for nearly 2 years. I am a delivery driver with a well known cash and carry company, well of course most jobs give you a probation period,mine is 3 months. Well everything seems to have been going well and have had good customer feedback until recently when we had a lot of managers form other branches suddenly appearing on the scene, I just carried on with my job as normal but one of the managers seems to have it in for me for some reason and keeps questioning me over things like, why are you not picking orders or on the shop floor or the tills, I said I was employed as a driver ( no contract yet ) and went to see the boss who employed me, he said I was employed as a driver and nothing else, I thought the matter was resolved but again he starts on me so again I spoke to my boss and he now changes his story to you are employed as doing most jobs and you are on probation, this now keeps getting bought up by the other manager so looks like come November 12th I will be out of a job. I was taken on as I have a CPC licence which they were looking for, sorry for long post but just when thought getting back on my feet I have this hanging over me, also my overtime is not being to me ,most weeks it is not on my wage slip yet I clock in and out, we keep a record of my hours also.

Is there anything I can do?

I am doing this for Pete ( Bobcat ) as he is at work and we are both worried.

Sandy ( Bobcat's o/h )

R.I.P my beautiful grey ghost, gone but never forgotten, taken so suddenly, 04/07/2004 ~ ~ 02/03/2017

Gone but never forgotten,Little Miss Sunshine, Alisha Marie. 15/12/2005 ~ ~ 13/02/2006

Our  beloved Dalmatian Jazz,  gone to join Wal at Rainbow Bridge, hope you are now pain free .  20/9/2005 ~ ~ 24/3/2019

thanks Hb, Really worried now

R.I.P my beautiful grey ghost, gone but never forgotten, taken so suddenly, 04/07/2004 ~ ~ 02/03/2017

Gone but never forgotten,Little Miss Sunshine, Alisha Marie. 15/12/2005 ~ ~ 13/02/2006

Our  beloved Dalmatian Jazz,  gone to join Wal at Rainbow Bridge, hope you are now pain free .  20/9/2005 ~ ~ 24/3/2019

Hi, you say he's not had a contract? has he had anything at all in writing with his terms and conditions of employment (job offer letter ? )

Help us to keep on helping

Please consider making a donation, however small, if you have benefited from advice on the forums

This site is run solely on donations

My advice is based on my opinion and experience only. It is not to be taken as legal advice - if you are unsure you should seek professional help.

nothing at all, he had the interview and had to go back for some training and then was given a starting date,

Hi,

the reality is, they can let him go for any non discriminatory reason at all in the first 2 years

So I would be inclined to stop saying "But I am a driver" and start saying "what stock needs put out"

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

he has said that and is always willing to do anything, his boss said he is employed as a driver and then changed his mind, he has not refused to do anything. He does not keep saying I am a driver! he has never done picking and they are normally too busy to show anyone what to do. They have given him a card for discount of items he can buy and also some for family and friends,he has no name badge like the rest of the people there but that does not bother him, he also has a wage slip each week which has yet to be right,just no contract

Just to clarify - generally speaking the concept of a 'probationary period' is fairly meaningless. Employees who have been working for one month have a right to a minimum of one week's notice before they can be sacked. However that is all they would be entitled to, no unfair dismissal rights until they have been working there for 2 years.

Hopefully he should be alright if the boss is fine with him. It sounds like the issue is with one of the managers, but presumably it is the boss who makes the decisions.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

yes, it is a manager from another branch who keeps " throwing " the probation period in his face, plus his boss changing his mind what he employed him for! Pete likes this job and is doing his best.Like I said he has had good customer feedback which even his boss remarked upon,the cash and carry where he works is the top one in the group, Pete has been working anything up to 48 hours to get extra money but most times his wage slip shows 38 hours so he has to ask about it

I think it is just one of those things. It sounds like there is a bit of miscommunication and disorganisation within the company. The boss may change his mind, or perhaps the boss has not properly communicated his intention to the manager. I'd say its best to turn up to work and just do whatever is needed - employees are under a duty to follow reasonable directions from their employer.

Of course not being paid the right amount is not really acceptable and should be queried.

the manager in question is from another branch and my boss has more say so from what I can gather, thanks for the help, He does as he is told and will sweep the floor is needs be

sounds to me like he's a worker I would want to keep. If he just keeps smiling and saying "of course" he should be fine!

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

Hope this turns out to be nothing to have worried about. I'm with the others, if he doesn't mind grafting (and it sounds as though this is the case) then be the best damned worker they have in the place!

The lack of training is a pain, so just make sure that in between gently asking to be shown how to do the picking, he is to be seen scurrying around doing a lot of other things - tidying, moving rubbish or carrying for anybody who needs it.

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!

thanks all, he has been doing all that as well as other drivers rounds, at his age ( 53 ) he is just glad to have a job :)

Pete just informed me that the manager I have mentioned has had a meeting with him today and it does not sound good, Pete said he will tell me more when he gets home :(

sorry no news as Pete is still not home!

see what happens today, he got home well after 9pm on Friday

still waiting to find out which we think is unfair as tbh would rather know now and not be kept waiting till November 12th,least he can look for another job if need be,his boss thought yesterday said he had 35 days holiday which had to be taken before end of year or loose them! Pete said well does that not depend if I am kept on to which his boss said Oh yes,I am waiting for reports but your customer feedback is very good

so that sounds very positive, doesn’t it?

Try not to worry. If the worst happens the run up to xmas is not so bad for temping drivers.

Hi, in one way it is but the manager he had problems with also accused him of damaging his van. They were given new vans recently and each day they have to check them which he does and mark anything down that is wrong with them his the reverse camera is not working,ans other problems, if there is damage they put it on the sheet, this damage was not there as far as he knows when he bought the van back, it is apparently a large bit that looks like it has been hit with a hammer or a pole, now Pete said if he had hit something he would have known as the van would have stopped and he always reports any damage etc,it has scuff marks where cyclist have gone by it and another driver there did scuff the bumper when he took the van out, it is just this new damage and only this manager seemed to know about it so Pete has that against him as well, also he is worried he will have to pay for it. The manager that said this has now gone back to his own branch. Pete spoke to a union person who told them to phone their crisis line which is for problems etc and he has been trying to do this but not got through yet,looks like he will be doing agency work etc after 12th November at this rate

hopefully the fact that the manager has gone back to his own branch will be an end to your worry for the moment. One of the businesses I am involved in has an ex- supermarket manager doing the admin and they show a dreadful lack of people skills and understanding of maths, both vital for the role but sadly typical for the post he used to fill. The bad ones tend to leave a bigger impression than the good ones on those at the beginning of their careers, I hope that this is only temporary.

• 1 month later...

update, well I am still working, not been told anything and not been given a contract. I am still in limbo it seems and the boss has not said a thing to me, we only have Christmas day off!.

I have now been there over 4 months

Your contract is an implied contract, ie you work and they pay you and the terms and conditions are as verbally described or as laid down in statute law, ie EU working time regs, H&S legislation etc so there is some protection. You are entitled to written conditions after 1 month's employment so ask for them. It may be you will be pointed to their intranet website for the general terms,

thanks, will see if they have a website, I know about H&S as did a 6 year course in it and will see if can get hold of my boss and ask!