HCEO on Doorstep Reed Rains rent for old LL - Please Help

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3832 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I came home tonight to find two HCEO on the doorstep trying to collect £6815.87 apparently owed from a Money Order, breakdown as follows:

Judgement Debt - £5122.55

Judgement Costs - £0.00

Costs Of Execution - £111.75

Assessed Solicitor Costs - £0.00

*Interest To Date - £173.74

*HCEO Fees - £1532.78

Total Outstanding - £6815.82

As you can imagine this came as one hell of a shock, this all dates back to May when we moved out of our last rented property, the landlord refused to carry out any of the repairs we continually complained about, heating systems that didn't work, taps that ran constantly, a bath you couldn't use, the first time we did water came pouring through the ceiling and ruined the leather suite, the list goes on.

The property was managed by Reed Rains, we moved in on 15th December 2012 and out on 15th April 2013, the £1200 deposit has disappeared, the landlord doesn't have it and the deposit protection service has no record of it ever being submitted.

I had refused to pay the rent as the repairs were not being carried out, rooms were left totally unusable over winter because of the heating not working. The landlords solicitors sent me a letter stating they were seeking eviction, I replied informing them we had found another house and were moving out, we moved out and left the house in an immaculate condition.

Since then I have not heard another word from them until the HCEO's turned up today, they have left a Form 55 seizing my Car (bought for £400 5 months ago and probably worth 2) yet they have driven off without it, I understand this to be Abandoned Levy?

I have spent 20 years self employed and am signing on JSA now as times are tough but I still report any work done to the job centre and need the car to get to any jobs that may come up.

I have been told to get straight to the court tomorrow morning and enter an N244 stating all the facts and ask if there is a judge available to act on it immediately, also the usual 'Keep doors, windows closed and locked' etc

I know how to deal with Bailiffs but this is my first run in with HCEO's - can someone please give me some advice urgently?

Jayce

HCEO's can be dealt with in the same way as bailiffs

There is no right of entry for them no locksmith no nothing

as they are acting on a CCJ and you have heard nothing untill now you could apply to have it set aside

If i have helped in any way hit my star.

any advice given is based on experience and learnt from this site :-)

HCEO's can be dealt with in the same way as bailiffs

There is no right of entry for them no locksmith no nothing

as they are acting on a CCJ and you have heard nothing until now you could apply to have it set aside

Please do not give advice if you do not understand the rights and powers of a HCEO!

To the OP am someone will be along shortly to assist with your problem

Please do not give advice if you do not understand the rights and powers of a HCEO!

To the OP am someone will be along shortly to assist with your problem

For you information there is no right of entry for a Hceo to a residential address acting on a CCJ

No locksmith no nothing and yes it can be set aside if they never recived court paperwork

Unless you have anything constructive to post we shall leave it there

For you information there is no right of entry for a Hceo to a residential address acting on a CCJ

No locksmith no nothing and yes it can be set aside if they never recived court paperwork

Unless you have anything constructive to post we shall leave it there

Don't hceo's act under writ's?

A HCEO may enter a property to seize the defendants good's as commanded by the writ, you are correct in stating force may not be used however there is still a right of peaceful entry. Any person wilfully resisting or obstructing a HCEO commits a criminal offence and runs the risk of being arrested by the HCEO or a constable.

Applying to set a Judgment aside does not mean it will be set aside, there are a number of factors such as time limits. You may not also be aware that to stop a HCEO you must also apply for a stay on the execution not just setting the judgment aside.

Edited by danmcr

danmcr there is I right of peaceful entry for every bailiff And HCEO!!!!!

Bailiffs and HCEO may enter a property and seize goods

It does not mean that you have to give them entry

And you can refuse them entry

If you feel you need to discuss what can and can't be done I suggest you start a new thread

Rather than jumping on this one

danmcr there is I right of peaceful entry for every bailiff And HCEO!!!!!

Bailiffs and HCEO may enter a property and seize goods

It does not mean that you have to give them entry

And you can refuse them entry

If you feel you need to discuss what can and can't be done I suggest you start a new thread

Rather than jumping on this one

A HCEO can break into out houses, sheds and separate garages etc.

A HCEO can break into out houses, sheds and separate garages etc.

Acting on a CCJ to residential address

Detached sheds and garage yes

House you are very wrong

Any silly point you wish to make is not helping the op in any way

it can be set aside if they never recived court paperwork

Only if the claim form was NOT sent to the last known address. So it would be all downto whether or not the land lord was updated with the new address. All that said, they could be recourse if there is a legitimate reason for the set aside - it appears there could be given the issues mentioned by the OP. It will be a discretionary, rather than a mandatory, set aside.

Hi,

I came home tonight to find two HCEO on the doorstep trying to collect £6815.87 apparently owed from a Money Order, breakdown as follows:

Judgement Debt - £5122.55

Judgement Costs - £0.00

Costs Of Execution - £111.75

Assessed Solicitor Costs - £0.00

*Interest To Date - £173.74

*HCEO Fees - £1532.78

Total Outstanding - £6815.82

As you can imagine this came as one hell of a shock, this all dates back to May when we moved out of our last rented property, the landlord refused to carry out any of the repairs we continually complained about, heating systems that didn't work, taps that ran constantly, a bath you couldn't use, the first time we did water came pouring through the ceiling and ruined the leather suite, the list goes on.

The property was managed by Reed Rains, we moved in on 15th December 2012 and out on 15th April 2013, the £1200 deposit has disappeared, the landlord doesn't have it and the deposit protection service has no record of it ever being submitted.

I had refused to pay the rent as the repairs were not being carried out, rooms were left totally unusable over winter because of the heating not working. The landlords solicitors sent me a letter stating they were seeking eviction, I replied informing them we had found another house and were moving out, we moved out and left the house in an immaculate condition.

Since then I have not heard another word from them until the HCEO's turned up today, they have left a Form 55 seizing my Car (bought for £400 5 months ago and probably worth 2) yet they have driven off without it, I understand this to be Abandoned Levy?

I have spent 20 years self employed and am signing on JSA now as times are tough but I still report any work done to the job centre and need the car to get to any jobs that may come up.

I have been told to get straight to the court tomorrow morning and enter an N244 stating all the facts and ask if there is a judge available to act on it immediately, also the usual 'Keep doors, windows closed and locked' etc

I know how to deal with Bailiffs but this is my first run in with HCEO's - can someone please give me some advice urgently?

Jayce

In the first instance you may have grounds to have the judgment set aside or at least until you can submit a defence. This would be done on a form N244 to the issuing County Court. The County Court claim number will be detailed on the Form 55 and should have two letters at the start dictating which court it is.

Alternatively you may wish to apply for a variation order and pay the sums owed over time.

Edited by HCEOs

HCEOs has nailed the way forward imho

danmcr, if the HCEO calls at the wrong address, as in say he is after Mr Smith at 1 Larch Street, but calls on and enters the garden of Mr Davies of 1 Larch Avenue, a tussle ensues as the HCEO tries to seize the ride on lawnmower Mr Davies is using. The HCEO grabs Mr davies, and pulls him off the mower, Mr davies lamps the HCEO, the police call, HCEO arrests Mr Davies for obstruction.... Would Mr Davies be able to rely on R v Tucker an Appeal Court case from 2012 where it was said that basically where the enforcer could be regarded as a trespasser the householder could use reasonable force to remove them.

Edited by brassnecked

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!

It would appear danmcr has removed his post which read: "Sheriffs Act, Courts Act 2003". Both are incorrect in my opinion.

brassnecked, whilst I believe your tongue is firmly planted in your cheek, 'lamping' anybody would not be seen as reasonable force. :-)

It would appear danmcr has removed his post which read: "Sheriffs Act, Courts Act 2003". Both are incorrect in my opinion.

brassnecked, whilst I believe your tongue is firmly planted in your cheek, 'lamping' anybody would not be seen as reasonable force. :-)

Yes it was :-) BUT, would that appeal court case in the scenario allow for reasonable force if the HCEO tried to arrest for obstruction?

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!

Yes it was :-) BUT, would that appeal court case in the scenario allow for reasonable force if the HCEO tried to arrest for obstruction?

I'd say yes, probably, but the Police would still likely arrest him for assault in the first instance.

However, all of this comes down to some common sense on both sides. The lack of which I sometimes read on here regarding HCEOs and witness first hand with some debtors and even their neighbours :-)

Whilst all help & advice offered is very much appreciated the OP has not been back since the initial post - something mirrored elsewhere. Until such time as we can have more info time may be better spent on current issues.

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Whilst all help & advice offered is very much appreciated the OP has not been back since the initial post - something mirrored elsewhere. Until such time as we can have more info time may be better spent on current issues.

To be honest I came on here for advice and it seemed to break down into an argument between a few people so I stopped checking back, since the initial visit I have found out much more information and am in a much stronger position now, it seems all of this was pushed through without my knowing to hide illegal activities by the landlord and management company, I have submitted an N245 to the court offering £5 per month, as I am on JSA this is all I can afford but I have also submitted many other court papers through the landlord not covering my deposit in a goverment scheme as required by law, not contacting me within 10 days to ask what I was doing with the deposit, breaking many aspects of the tenancy agreement etc.

I have the deposit of £1200 sitting there and the maximum court fine for the 'theft' of the deposit is 3 x £1200 combined they would pay the whole debt off plus the other cases I have submitted with relavent case law and precidents should see this settled pretty quickly

Interesting, what case law and precedents did you use?

It is important that you understand what you have used and can demonstrate why you have used them. If you can't you could end up with legal costs against you.

It is important you get this right.