Jump to content

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2736 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then


Please click the "Report " link


at the bottom of one of the posts.


If you want to post a new story then


Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 



Recommended Posts



I am having some problems with my landlord and I just wondered if anyone here can offer me some advice.


I moved into a rented property 4 weeks ago. After I signed the tenancy agreement, the landlord handed me a bunch of papers which contained the gas safety certificate. The certificate that the landlord presented was out of date and so she said she would arrange for a safety check to be carried out once we had moved in and settled.


An engineer did come out and carry out the check and I thought that would be the end of the matter. However, 2 weeks later the landlord sent me an invoice for the check with a demand to pay within 7 days.


As far as I was aware it is the landlords responsibility to provide a gas safety certificate and it is their responsibility to pay for it. I telephoned the landlord and was told that it is in my tenancy agreement that I am responsible for paying for the annual gas safety check.


I have fully read my tenancy agreement a couple of times and I can't find any mention of me being responsible for this.


The landlord has said if I don't pay the invoice within 7 days then they will take further action.


Can anybody shed some light on this? I have Googled and all I can find is that the landlord is responsible for the certificate but I can't find anything suggesting they can pass this cost onto their tenants.

Link to post
Share on other sites

If she wanted to pass the cost on, it should be integrated into your rent. The landlord is legally responsible for the safety checks.


If it’s not in the agreement, refuse to pay – simply ask her, in writing, which clause she is referring to.


How much is she demanding? Shouldn’t be more than £100 or so.

“The industry is rotten to the core, whether it is in-house recovery and collection, or where agents are used, or where the debt has been sold.” Andrew Mackinley MP, House of Commons, 22 April 2009


If a Cagger helps you, click their star. Better still, make a donation however small, so that CAG can continue to help others.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yep LL responsibility to arrange gas safe certificate; a legal requirement! cant let flat without it.

If not in your contract you do not have to pay for it.

Link to post
Share on other sites



Have a look at this Gas Safety Register link as it give you more information on the Landlords responsibility: http://www.gassaferegister.co.uk/advice/renting_a_property/for_landlords.aspx

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Recently Browsing   0 Caggers

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Have we helped you ...?

  • Create New...