style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3835 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I am having some problems with my landlord and I just wondered if anyone here can offer me some advice.

I moved into a rented property 4 weeks ago. After I signed the tenancy agreement, the landlord handed me a bunch of papers which contained the gas safety certificate. The certificate that the landlord presented was out of date and so she said she would arrange for a safety check to be carried out once we had moved in and settled.

An engineer did come out and carry out the check and I thought that would be the end of the matter. However, 2 weeks later the landlord sent me an invoice for the check with a demand to pay within 7 days.

As far as I was aware it is the landlords responsibility to provide a gas safety certificate and it is their responsibility to pay for it. I telephoned the landlord and was told that it is in my tenancy agreement that I am responsible for paying for the annual gas safety check.

I have fully read my tenancy agreement a couple of times and I can't find any mention of me being responsible for this.

The landlord has said if I don't pay the invoice within 7 days then they will take further action.

Can anybody shed some light on this? I have Googled and all I can find is that the landlord is responsible for the certificate but I can't find anything suggesting they can pass this cost onto their tenants.

If she wanted to pass the cost on, it should be integrated into your rent. The landlord is legally responsible for the safety checks.

If it’s not in the agreement, refuse to pay – simply ask her, in writing, which clause she is referring to.

How much is she demanding? Shouldn’t be more than £100 or so.

Hi

Have a look at this Gas Safety Register link as it give you more information on the Landlords responsibility: http://www.gassaferegister.co.uk/advice/renting_a_property/for_landlords.aspx

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group