• Tweets

• I have had a secondary thought.  I borrowed £s from a completely separate entity 6y ago. It was personal and unsecured. I was going to repay upon sale of the property. But then repo and I couldn't.  Eventually they applied and got a charging order on the property.  Their lawyers wrote that if I didn't repay they may apply for an order for sale.  I'm not in control of the sale.  The lender won't agree to an order for sale.  The judge won't expedite it/ extract from trial.  Someone here on cag may or may not suggest I can apply for an order v the receiver?  But could I alternatively ask this separate entity with a c.o to carry out their threat and actually make an application to court for an order for sale v the receiver instead?
    • You left the PCN number showing, but no worries, I've redacted it. Euro Car parks are very well known to us.  I've just skimmed through the titles of the latest 100 cases we have with them (I gave up after 100) and, despite all their bluster and threats, in not one have they taken the Cagger to court. You stayed there for 2 hours &:45 minutes.  I'm guessing the limit is 2 hours and 30 minutes, right?  
    • If the claimant fails to draft directions the court can order a Case Management Hearing to set them but normally in Fast Track claims the claimant sets the directions...Unlike small claims track which are always set the court.
    • Not Evris offer, the court offers mediation service.   All claims proceed to hearing if mediation fails /not happen.   Why do you not wish to attend in person to stand your claim ?     Absolutely you must comply with the courts directions or your claim risks being struck out. Preparation for a hearing should happen irrespective of mediation.   https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/460613-suing-a-parcel-delivery-company-when-you-dont-have-a-direct-contract-with-them-–-third-party-rights-copy-of-judgment-available/#comment-5255007   Andy  
    • LPA.  (I'm fighting insolvency due to all the stuff that he and lender have done).  He appointed estate agents - (changed several times). Disclosure shows he was originally appointed for a specific reason (3m after repo) : using his powers as acting for leaseholder to serve notice on freeholders (to grab fh).  There was interest from 3 potential buyers. He chose one whose offer depended on a positive result of the notice.  Disc also shows he'd taken counsel advice - which was 'he'd fail'.  He'd simultaneously asked to resign as his job (of serving notice) was done and he'd found a buyer.  Lender asked him to stay on to assign notice to the buyer.  Notice failed, buyer didn't buy.  So receiver stayed.  There was 1 buyer who wanted to proceed w/o fh but receiver/ lender wasted 1y trying to get rid of them!  Disc shows why. But I didn't know why at the time. In later months Lender voiced getting rid of receiver. Various reasons - including cost.  But there's a contradiction/ irony: as I've seen an email (of 4y ago) which shows the receiver telling lender not to incur significant costs and to minimize receiver costs.    Yet lender then asked him to serve another notice - again counsel advice indicated 'he'd fail'.  And he did fail.  But wasted 3y trying and incurred huge legal costs - lender trying to pass on to me. Lender interfered - said wanted to do works.  Receiver should have said no.  But disc. shows he agreed to step aside to let them do the works - on proviso lender would discuss potential costs first (they didn't), works wouldn't take long (took 15m), and lender would hold interest (they didn't) (this last point is crucial for me now - as I need to know if I can argue that all interest beyond this point shouldnt be allowed?)   I need to check receiver witness statement in litigation with freeholders to see exactly what he said about 'his position'. But I remember it being along the lines of - 'if the works increased the value of the property he didn't have a problem'.  Lender/ receiver real problems started at this point. The cost of works and 4y passage of time has meant there is no real increase in value. Lender (or receiver) didn't get any permissions (statutory or fh) (and didn't tell me) and just bulldozed the property to an empty shell.  The freeholders served notice on me as leaseholder for breach of covenants (strict no alterations).  The Lender stepped in (acting for me) to issue notice for relief of forfeiture - not the receiver.  That wasted 2y of litigation (3y if inc the works) and incurred huge costs (both sides).  Lender's aim was to do the works that every potential buyer balked at due to the lease restrictions.  Lender and receiver knew couldn't do works w/o fh permission. Lender did them anyway; receiver allowed.  Receiver remained appointed.  I'm arguing lender interfered in receiver duties.  Receiver should have just sold property 4-5y ago w/o allowing any works.  Almost 3y since works finished the property remains unsold (>5y from repo). The property looks brand new - but it was great before.  The lender spent a ton of money - hoping that would facilitate a quick sale.  But the money they spent and the years they have wasted has meant they had to increase sale price.  It's now completely overpriced.  And - of course - the same issues that put buyers off (before works) still exist.   The receiver has tried for 2y to assert the works increased value. But he is relying on agents estimates - which have proved highly speculative. (Usual trick of an agent to give a high value to get the business - and then tell seller to reduce when no-one buys.). And of course lender continues to accrue interest (despite 4y ago receiver saying pause interest). Lender tried to persuade receiver to use specific agent. Disc shows this agent was best friends with the lender's main investor in the property.  Before works this agent had valued it low.  After works this agent suggested a value 70% higher!  The lender persuaded receiver to sack one agent and instead use this agent.  No offers. (Price way too high).   Research has uncovered that this main investor has since died.  I guess his investment is part of probate? And his family want it back?    Disc shows the sacked agent had actually received a high offer 1y ago.  Receiver rejected it.  (thus I don't know if the buyer would have ever proceeded). He was relying on the high speculative valuation the agents had given him to pitch for the business. The agents were in a catch-22.  The receiver sacked them. Disc shows there has been 0 interest ever since (inc via new agent requested by lender). I don't think lender or receiver want all this to come out in public domain via a trial.  It will ruin their reputations. If I can't get an order for sale with lender - can I apply separately against receiver?
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Birth Certificate question??

McCaw
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3834 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I don't think you should rush into marriage. I thought it might help a bit on the parental rights issue but maybe it's not necessary. I think it's great that you want your wedding day to be fabulous for your girlfriend. I saw an online ad today for Barnardo's and the girl in it is saying how amazing it was to be given a birthday party by her foster parents because her own mother didn't bother. I just cannot imagine that, even though I know that so many children lead very bleak lives. It's absolutely heartbreaking.

Yeah it is. Like when my gf talks about her childhood it does break your heart but then you think y'know her situation isn't even that rare, mother died, father became an alcoholic, I bet there's hundreds of kids out there now in just that situation...it is sad.

Saying that i do think foster parents do a really really good job - I think if they had less kids written off and stuck in care like my gf and more kids I foster homes the system would work much better....butr there we are - I'm not the one running the country!

I cannot imagine why any post-adoption visits by social workers would be required here. It's nothing like an adoption where someone applies to adopt and then goes through the process and is then able to look at/be considered for adoptable children. You want and will love this baby and will be a great father. They'll come and meet you, prepare a report and once it's been finalized by the Court (rubber stamped in fact) then it's bye-bye social workers. :-)

Well that doesn't sound to bad! I guess you just always hear how hard and slow adopting is But if it can be fairly simple maybe that could be the way to go :)

Hello again.

This is from the government website about stepparents adopting. You need to be a spouse or a partner if I read this right.

https://www.gov.uk/child-adoption/adopting-a-stepchild

HB

That's really intresting - I read somewhere 2yrs but 6 months living together isn't bad at all! That kind of time flies by!

Mine was for step parent me (Stepfather) for all 3 of one family, hence why I commented above. and the problem with the real father releasing his authority. they tend to be obtrusive for quite a while.

So. If there was no biological father about do you think the process still would of dragged on?

So. If there was no biological father about do you think the process still would of dragged on?

yes because of the system, he just delayed signing the final papers until his (Mummy) stepped in = enough said.

:mad2::-x:jaw::sad:

yes because of the system, he just delayed signing the final papers until his (Mummy) stepped in = enough said.

Really?

So, if you don't mind me asking, was it a lot of social workers and the like or just loadsofpaper work?

My concern with adoption, aside from it potentially being lengthy... is my age going against me ]( I'm not 21 till march) and my house going against me (I don't know if that can be an issue or not but it's not particually conventional, it's basically like a cross between a big treehouse and a cabin on stilts)

So id need to be a step parent for that, yeah?? So we'd have to get married before we could apply?

No, you don't need to be a step-parent - this is just an example. It can be anyone who wants to have the right to exercise parental responsibilities and rights in relation to the child.

The legal significance of a father going onto the birth certificate is that he would automatically get legal 'parental responsibility'. As it should be fairly easy to get a court order giving you parental responsibility by making a section 8 application, I personally think it would be madness to go onto the birth certificate for the sake of saving a hundred quid or whatever the court fee is.

I don't think there is any sense in doing an adoption. An adoption would need you to have an assessment done, it would take more time and you would still need to apply for a court order. I suspect you are better off asking for the section 8 order which is a much simpler process. The parental responsibility you are given by a section 8 order is the same parental responsibility you would get with an adoption.

The only advantage of doing an adoption would be that it takes away parental responsibility from the father. However, this has no relevance to your situation. A father is only assumed to have parental responsibility without a court order if he is (1) married to the mother or (2) on the birth certificate.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

I'll see what I can find out about the age situation.

The issue with the house will be safety. If it's safe and the baby can't harm himself by falling out I think you should be okay.

Oh yeah its totally safe...its just, well half of it is raised up. Its baby proofed, its just not conventional as such.

No, you don't need to be a step-parent - this is just an example. It can be anyone who wants to have the right to exercise parental responsibilities and rights in relation to the child.

The legal significance of a father going onto the birth certificate is that he would automatically get legal 'parental responsibility'. As it should be fairly easy to get a court order giving you parental responsibility by making a section 8 application, I personally think it would be madness to go onto the birth certificate for the sake of saving a hundred quid or whatever the court fee is.

I don't think there is any sense in doing an adoption. An adoption would need you to have an assessment done, it would take more time and you would still need to apply for a court order. I suspect you are better off asking for the section 8 order which is a much simpler process. The parental responsibility you are given by a section 8 order is the same parental responsibility you would get with an adoption.

The only advantage of doing an adoption would be that it takes away parental responsibility from the father. However, this has no relevance to your situation. A father is only assumed to have parental responsibility without a court order if he is (1) married to the mother or (2) on the birth certificate.

Right I see...

So I guess with that my concern is how solid is it? Can it be taken away? Say if my gf woke up in 10 years and decided she wanted to emigrate to Australia with brad pitt, could she? Do I have equal rights or can she override it because shes the biological parent?

And then if its 'parental' responsibility then kinda like what happens when he's 18? does it stop? do I stop being a next of kin? would he be in line to inherit mine or my families estates or not?

I know that can all be fixed with a will and the like but I guess I just kind of wonder what happens at that point - do I have anything on paper that says im still his dad or is it just a he knows it and I know it kind of thing?

My understanding is that the concept of 'parental responsibility' is the same regardless of how you get it. It generally shouldn't matter whether or not you are the biological father (this might be a factor in the court exercising its discretion if there was ever a custody or contact dispute, but there shouldn't be any automatic legal consequences).

My understanding is that only the consent of one person with PR is needed to move the child about or to consent to medical treatment. I don't think there is any prohibition on her emigrating to Australia with the child, and the situation would be the same if you were the biological father. If you didn't agree you would need to apply to court for a 'residence order', 'prohibited steps order' or 'specific issue order'. If there was a dispute the court would decide what should happen based on a list of statutory list of factors it has to consider. The paramount factor is the welfare of the child.

PR lasts until the child is 18.

My understanding is that the term 'next-of-kin' has no technical defined meaning in English law.

If you have PR, he would be treated as your child for inheritance purposes and hence would be in line to inherit your stuff unless you said otherwise in your will.

Hope this helps.

Hope this helps.
Yeah that does, thank you

My understanding is that only the consent of one person with PR is needed to move the child about or to consent to medical treatment. I don't think there is any prohibition on her emigrating to Australia with the child, and the situation would be the same if you were the biological father. If you didn't agree you would need to apply to court for a 'residence order', 'prohibited steps order' or 'specific issue order'. If there was a dispute the court would decide what should happen based on a list of statutory list of factors it has to consider. The paramount factor is the welfare of the child.

sure, yeah I have heard you can move abroad with your kid but I just mean that me and her would have equal rights yeah? I'd have access rights? They cant just take PR away from you.

PR lasts until the child is 18....If you have PR, he would be treated as your child for inheritance purposes and hence would be in line to inherit your stuff unless you said otherwise in your will.
I see, so it would end but he would still be my son? They'd still be some sort of piece of paper that says "***McCaw's Son" or you 'know something to that affect?

I mean I know that doesn't really matter, a piece of paper is just that - a piece of paper but I would like that - something, somewhere, traceable that says he's mine, doesn't have to be the birth certificate but just something.

I dunno maybe that's just being a bit sentimental - that by itself isn't worth putting my gf and our boy through social workers and the rest of it!! I just don't like to think of my great great great grandkids tracing their family tree, getting back to *** McCaw and then getting 'father unknown' and drawing a blank.

Edited by honeybee13

I just don't like to think of my great great great grandkids tracing their family tree, getting back to *** McCaw and then getting 'father unknown' and drawing a blank.

Hello again.

Speaking as an amateur genealogist, there are far more records than just a birth certificate to find your ancestors. There's so much information about these days, even if some of it isn't released for 100 years, I don't think they'll have much trouble finding you. :)

On balance, I still think you're better off the birth cert and looking for other remedies suggested by steampowered for example.

By the way, I've taken names out to keep this anonymous for you. They're not really needed for us to advise.

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

Speaking as an amateur genealogist, there are far more records than just a birth certificate to find your ancestors. There's so much information about these days, even if some of it isn't released for 100 years, I don't think they'll have much trouble finding you. :)

Haha well that's good :-)

By the way, I've taken names out to keep this anonymous for you. They're not really needed for us to advise.

:-)

As the others have said, you can get parental responsibility without adopting, but something makes me think you really want your name on the birth certificate and that is completely understandable. If that is what you want there are only two options - putting yourself on the certificate as the father, or adopting later.

The house sounds fine. If you decide to go for adoption they can always advise you of any changes you need to make. They won't turn down an adoption on the basis of an unusual house providing it is safe. :-)

sure, yeah I have heard you can move abroad with your kid but I just mean that me and her would have equal rights yeah? I'd have access rights? They cant just take PR away from you.

Yes, the PR can't be taken away from you without a court order.

Having PR does not necessarily mean 'equal rights'. If you ever split up and there was a dispute about who the child should live with, the court would evaluate what is in the best interests of the child, and it is not inconceivable that the mother should stay the child should live with her as she is the mother.

I see, so it would end but he would still be my son? They'd still be some sort of piece of paper that says "***McCaw's Son" or you 'know something to that affect?

I mean I know that doesn't really matter, a piece of paper is just that - a piece of paper but I would like that - something, somewhere, traceable that says he's mine, doesn't have to be the birth certificate but just something.

He would be treated as your son for inheritance purposes and for things like giving consent to medical treatment.

As the others have said, you can get parental responsibility without adopting, but something makes me think you really want your name on the birth certificate and that is completely understandable. If that is what you want there are only two options - putting yourself on the certificate as the father, or adopting later.

Err yeah, yeah I guess, like ideally I would...I would...

I guess it'll be a case of what I weighing what I would really like up against like up against doing the right thing by him, the right thing by my gf, making the best call for out family, you know? Im not sure, I'm a bit back and forth on it.

Yes, the PR can't be taken away from you without a court order.

Having PR does not necessarily mean 'equal rights'. If you ever split up and there was a dispute about who the child should live with, the court would evaluate what is in the best interests of the child, and it is not inconceivable that the mother should stay the child should live with her as she is the mother.

He would be treated as your son for inheritance purposes and for things like giving consent to medical treatment.

Well that does all sound good! Thanks!

I should have asked you before. What does your girlfriend think is the best thing to do?

Well...I think My girlfriend would be down with what ever I wanted, but I know she holds the view 'keep it simple, put your name on the certificate' which does have its advantages but my girlfriend, as much as I love her, isn't particually renowned for thinking through long term repercussions of decisions - hence this thread really.