Oven nearly caught fire!

bill1980
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3841 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Well, might be exaggerating a bit but will describe the scenario.

Bought an oven over/hob 2 years ago. During the years it has suffered from issues like the bottom element blowing and the wires melting. Made a complaint and they were very good and sent me replacement parts and basically acknowledged the issue by sending me parts.

2 years has passed and I there are issue with the product. The main switch into the oven melted, it tripped the mains and smoke everywhere. On top of that a hob blew up and one of the plastic dials snapped.

Contacted the company again and they say I am not covered as it has been longer than 2 years but as a good will gesture they will try and sort me out with parts again.

It may be me who is being unfair but I really want the whole lot replacing as its never been right and a potential risk to safety. Knows its over 2 years but when you spend a few hundred quid on an item you expect to get at least 5 years from the product.

Am I within my rights to try and get it replaced or should I just be grateful with more replacement parts?

Many thanks

Bill

Im new to this and am just giving an opinion. Seek further clarification and advice on what I post before taking it as gospel :)

Too late for replacement as you accepted parts previously. If you can prove that it is poor design or manufacture you may have recourse as latent faults (built in problems) but unless you can find other examples of the same problem it is hard to prove.

• Confused 1

It wouldn't necessarily follow that because you've accepted a repair (well, replacement parts) that you have no right to further redress. In fact, the new Consumer Rights Bill will clarify this very point i think. Your real problem though is the length of time. You say it's never been right and you want a refund. I would suggest you could ask for a refund, but you would only be entitled to the value of a 2 year old oven and hob - £50?

• Confused 1

It wouldn't necessarily follow that because you've accepted a repair (well, replacement parts) that you have no right to further redress. In fact, the new Consumer Rights Bill will clarify this very point i think. Your real problem though is the length of time. You say it's never been right and you want a refund. I would suggest you could ask for a refund, but you would only be entitled to the value of a 2 year old oven and hob - £50?

Thanks very much. Its appreciated

. Will take the advice on board

Im new to this and am just giving an opinion. Seek further clarification and advice on what I post before taking it as gospel :)

You are covered under SOGA but you would need to prove an inherent fault i.e. other people have had a similar issue. If the dealer refuses to budge, issue a small claims and call the manufacturer as an expert witness if you have a strong case. Amazing how quickly things get resolved when this happens.