• Tweets

• The Notice to Hirer does not comply with the protection of Freedoms Act 2012 Schedule  4 . This is before I ask if Europarks have sent you a copy of the PCN they sent to Arval along with a copy of the hire agreement et. if they haven't done that either you are totally in the clear and have nothing to worry about and nothing to pay. The PCN they have sent you is supposed to be paid by you according to the Act within 21 days. The chucklebuts have stated 28 days which is the time that motorists have to pay. Such a basic and simple thing . The Act came out in 2012 and still they cannot get it right which is very good news for you. Sadly there is no point in telling them- they won't accept it because they lose their chance to make any money out of you. they are hoping that by writing to you demanding money plus sending in their  unregulated debt collectors and sixth rate solicitors that you might be so frightened as to pay them money so that you can sleep at night. Don't be surprised if some of their letters are done in coloured crayons-that's the sort of  level of people you will be dealing with. Makes great bedding for the rabbits though. Euro tend not to be that litigious but while you can safely ignore the debt collectors just keep an eye out for a possible Letter of Claim. They are pretty rare but musn't be ignored. Let us know so that you can send a suitably snotty letter to them showing that you are not afraid of them and are happy to go to Court as you like winning.  
    • They did reply to my defence stating it would fail and enclosed copies of NOA, DN Term letter and account statements. All copies of T&C's that could be reconstructions and the IP address on there resolves to the town where MBNA offices are, not my location
    • Here are 7 of our top tips to help you connect with young people who have left school or otherwise disengaged.View the full article
    • My defence was standard no paperwork:   1.The Defendant contends that the particulars of claim are generic in nature. The Defendant accordingly sets out its case below and relies on CPR r 16.5 (3) in relation to any particular allegation to which a specific response has not been made. 2. Paragraph 1 is noted. The Defendant has had a contractual relationship with MBNA Limited in the past. The Defendant does not recognise the reference number provided by the claimant within its particulars and has sought verification from the claimant who is yet to comply with requests for further information. 3. Paragraph 2 is denied. The Defendant maintains that a default notice was never received. The Claimant is put to strict proof to that a default notice was issued by MBNA Limited and received by the Defendant. 4. Paragraph 3 is denied. The Defendant is unaware of any legal assignment or Notice of Assignment allegedly served from either the Claimant or MBNA Limited. 5. On the 02/01/2023 the Defendant requested information pertaining to this claim by way of a CCA 1974 Section 78 request. The claimant is yet to respond to this request. On the 19/05/2023 a CPR 31.14 request was sent to Kearns who is yet to respond. To date, 02/06/2023, no documentation has been received. The claimant remains in default of my section 78 request. 6. It is therefore denied with regards to the Defendant owing any monies to the Claimant, the Claimant has failed to provide any evidence of proof of assignment being sent/ agreement/ balance/ breach or termination requested by CPR 31.14, therefore the Claimant is put to strict proof to: (a) show how the Defendant entered into an agreement; and (b) show and evidence the nature of breach and service of a default notice pursuant to Section 87(1) CCA1974 (c) show how the claimant has reached the amount claimed for; and (d) show how the Claimant has the legal right, either under statute or equity to issue a claim; 7. As per Civil Procedure Rule 16.5(4), it is expected that the Claimant prove the allegation that the money is owed. 8. On the alternative, as the Claimant is an assignee of a debt, it is denied that the Claimant has the right to lay a claim due to contraventions of Section 136 of the Law of Property Act and Section 82A of the consumer credit Act 1974. 9. By reasons of the facts and matters set out above, it is denied that the Claimant is entitled to the relief claimed or any relief.
    • Monika the first four pages of the Private parking section have at least 12 of our members who have also been caught out on this scam site. That's around one quarter of all our current complaints. Usually we might expect two current complaints for the same park within 4 pages.  So you are in good company and have done well in appealing to McDonalds in an effort to resolve the matter without having  paid such a bunch of rogues. Most people blindly pay up. Met . Starbucks and McDonalds  are well aware of the situation and seem unwilling to make it easier for motorists to avoid getting caught. For instance, instead of photographing you, if they were honest and wanted you  to continue using their services again, they would have said "Excuse me but if you are going to go to Mc donalds from here, it will cost you £100." But no they kett quiet and are now pursuing you for probably a lot more than £100 now. They also know thst  they cannot charge anything over the amount stated on the car park signs. Their claims for £160 or £170 are unlawful yet so many pay that to avoid going to Court. When the truth is that Met are unlikely to take them to Court since they know they will lose. The PCNs are issued on airport land which is covered by Byelaws so only the driver can be pursued, not the keeper. But they keep writing to you as they do not know who was driving unless you gave it away when you appealed. Even if they know you were driving they should still lose in Court for several reasons. The reason we ask you to fill out our questionnaire is to help you if MET do decide to take you to Court in the end. Each member who visited the park may well have different experiences while there which can help when filling out a Witness statement [we will help you with that if it comes to it.] if you have thrown away the original PCN  and other paperwork you obviously haven't got a jerbil or a guinea pig as their paper makes great litter boxes for them.🙂 You can send an SAR to them to get all the information Met have on you to date. Though if you have been to several sites already, you may have done that by now. In the meantime, you will be being bombarded by illiterate debt collectors and sixth rate solicitors all threatening you with ever increasing amounts as well as being hung drawn and quartered. Their letters can all be safely ignored. On the odd chance that you may get a Letter of Claim from them just come back to us and we will get you to send a snotty letter back to them so that they know you are not happy, don't care a fig for their threats and will see them off in Court if they finally have the guts to carry on. If you do have the original PCN could you please post it up, carefully removing your name. address and car registration number but including dates and times. If not just click on the SAR to take you to the form to send to Met.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

PCN - onstreet parking bays - no signs

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3731 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello All,

Great forum, I've searched for similar threads but did not find anything, hence the question.

I got a PCN for not displaying a valid ticket - overstayed by 8 minutes (observed from 08:04, time of contravention 08:08.

- parked in a parking bay - Manchester, Lana street, next to Premier Inn hotel.

- Arrived late in the evening (after 9pm), did not see any signs, parked in a parking bay. asked hotel staff if ok to park, they confirmed that ok to park till 8am.

- got genuinely delayed during checkout by people demanding money back for the lack of internet connectivity, asking for pillows etc... but that's probably not a good argument for the appeal ? ;)

- caught CEO red handed but it was already too late (was taking pictures)

I think there might be inadequate signage on this street, as certainly I did not see any at the moment of parking:

- Lena street is a one way street

- there is only one sign on this street, at the entrance from A6 (Piccadilly/London Rd). it looks like it's bent toward the entrance - I did not use that entry to Lena Street

- I parked at the other end of the street which is 70-80 meters (or more) away from the sign

- I came from Patton Street & Back Piccadilly and there is no sign at the entrance to Lena steet

- There are no P&D machines on Lena Street

I cannot find a proper regulations I could use in my appeal. I only found the following information, would that be enough to fight against that PCN?

1. THE CONTRAVENTION DID NOT OCCUR. (i.e. you didn't do anything wrong in the first place)

This can because of one or more of the following reasons:

• the signs or road markings in the area were misleading or obscured;
    • This is a common complaint, and can prove a successful way to challenge your parking ticket. Councils must provide clear signs on each and every road entering an area where parking is restricted.
    • All signs should be clearly visible and show the hours when the restrictions are in place. You should check all the roads entering the area where you received your ticket. Check that there are signs on both sides of the road, and that the signs are not too small, faded, or covered by branches. All these can be reasons to invalidate a parking ticket.
    • If the restriction is particular to one street, rather than a whole area, each yellow line should have a sign on every lamp post. If there is a gap of more than 60m between lamp posts, there should be a signpost.
    • All single and double yellow lines have to be continuous, unbroken and must end in a 'T-bar'. If there are breaks in the line, or the line does not end in a T-bar (except where the line is broken with other road markings), this can invalidate any ticket given anywhere on the line.
    • Where there are parking bays at the side of the road there must be signs every 30m along the road. There should also be signs within 5m of each end of the parking bays.

Please find my photos of the street: s1162.photobucket.com/user/afronrg/library/PCN

Many thanks for any input.

Regards,

a.

It's actually Lena Street, not Lana.

Google Street View shows the road being resurfaced, so these parking bays must be recently painted.

Every bay, or set of bays, needs a sign. These bays appear from your photos to be unsigned. There is another set of bays further down the road, but these are separate from the ones you parked in, as there are yellow lines between them and the bays you used. Therefore, your bay is unsigned and so there is no contravention. (I'm assuming there isn't a sign fixed to the wall where you parked?)

You should appeal on the grounds that the bays were not signed.

Out of interest, what was the contravention stated on the PCN?

Every bay, or set of bays, needs a sign. These bays appear from your photos to be unsigned. There is another set of bays further down the road, but these are separate from the ones you parked in, as there are yellow lines between them and the bays you used. Therefore, your bay is unsigned and so there is no contravention. (I'm assuming there isn't a sign fixed to the wall where you parked?)

You should appeal on the grounds that the bays were not signed.

Thanks, I thought that was wrong, no signs on the wall.

Could someone point me to the regulations I could bring up when appealing?

Out of interest, what was the contravention stated on the PCN?

not displaying a valid ticket

there are no signs that inform of required payment nor P&D machines on Lena street at all.

Regards,

A.

Was it code 06 - "Parked without clearly displaying a valid pay and display ticket"?

You don't need to quote regulations in a situation like this.

Just state that you parked in a bay which was not governed by any sort of sign. Therefore it is not clear to you that there are any restrictions in place, or what they could be. Since there is no signage, the bay is unenforceable.

Was it code 06 - "Parked without clearly displaying a valid pay and display ticket"?

yes, code 06

You don't need to quote regulations in a situation like this.

Just state that you parked in a bay which was not governed by any sort of sign. Therefore it is not clear to you that there are any restrictions in place, or what they could be. Since there is no signage, the bay is unenforceable.

Ok, thanks Jamberson. I'm going to challenge that PCN - they have an online system for that. I only hope it works OK.

thank you for your input, will update the ticket with the results.

If anyone has sth to add, please do as will be working with the appeal soon.

You ought to win it. Are you able to include photos with your online appeal? The reason I ask is that CEOs usually take photos of the relevant signs as well as the vehicle, when issuing a PCN. If he has taken a photo of the sign at the end of the road, the person considering your appeal might wrongly assume it applied to your parking bay - so if you can include your images, and point out that the sign belongs to a different set of bays, that will help clarify the matter for them.

• 3 weeks later...

Morning,

I have received a letter from Manchester City Council. It reads as follows.

I have carefully considered your letter but on this occasion I have taken the decision not to cancel your parking ticket.

You were given a parking ticket for parking in a Pay & Display bay without a Pay & Display ticket. The Civil Enforcement Officer's notes, made when giving your parking ticket, state that you were not displaying a Pay & Display ticket. Lena Street, where you were parked, is in the City Centre Controlled Parking Zone. As you enter Manchester City Centre, you will pass a Controlled Zone sign. This tells you when the Pay & Display and single yellow line rules apply in the City Centre. The Controlled Zone signs explain that the rules for Pay & Display bays apply 8.00am - 8.00pm, seven days a week.

Additional signage within the zone is not required.

Therefore, I am satisfied that your parking ticket was issued correctly. To view images taken at the time your Penalty Charge Notice was issued, please visit Link_To_Website

You have these choices:

1 The penalty charge will be reduced by a discount of 50% to t25.00 if it is paid no later than the last day of the period of 14 days beginning with the date on which this letter is served.

( ... )

There's an attached picture of Controlled ZONE 8am-8pm sign.

On the website ticketfighter.co.uk/parking.htm I've found the following info:

Controlled Zones

A controlled zone is an area of restricted parking. Single yellow lines within a controlled zone do not need to be individually signed, unless their hours of operation differ from that of the zone. Parking bays need to be signed if they differ in any way from the information on the controlled zone sign (eg they are residents only).

Parking Bays

Pay and display, limited stay, motorcycle, doctor, residents and business permit parking bays.

All parking bays must be accompanied by a sign (except in certain circumstances in a controlled zone, see above).

Am I right thinking that MCC is actually right on this occassion?

Thank you for any input.

A.

Am I right thinking that MCC is actually right on this occassion?

No, when they say:

As you enter Manchester City Centre, you will pass a Controlled Zone sign. This tells you when the Pay & Display and single yellow line rules apply in the City Centre. The Controlled Zone signs explain that the rules for Pay & Display bays apply 8.00am - 8.00pm, seven days a week.

Additional signage within the zone is not required.

they're being economical with the truth. Additional CPZ signs aren't required, but signs/timeplates are required for each individual bay. There are different types of bay: resident, business, pay & display, shared use etc, so these must be signed.

CPZ signs cannot be used to regulate Pay & Display bays.

A CPZ sign is known as Diagram 663 from the TSRGD 2002 and if you look at Item 3 in the table you will see that it can be used with 4 other diagrams. These diagrams are single and double yellow lines and single and double yellow "No Loading" kerb markings. If the CPZ sign was intended for use with parking bays then Item 3 would include a parking bay diagram such as diagram 1028.4.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2002/3113/images/uksi_20023113_en_059

CPZ signs to diagram 663 can only regulate No Waiting and No Loading restrictions. It is permitted to vary the sign to indicate "Pay & Display" but this is simply to convey that there is parking available within the zone. Parking places within a CPZ need to be independently signed. This is made clear under paragraph 12.4 of the DfT published Traffic Signs Manual Chapter 3.

12.4 All designated parking places and loading bays within a type (a) CPZ, other than parking meter bays, need to be signed in accordance with section 7 (see para 12.23 for disc or ticket parking).

Thank you all.

So it's either a simply incompetent employee, daylight robbery or system is corrupt?

Not sure what should I do.. fight the system, waste on the case some precious time and nerves or just Pay & Forget.. damn

So it's either a simply incompetent employee, daylight robbery or system is corrupt?

Probably incompetent employee.

I take it you have not had a Notice to Owner (NTO) yet? In any case, their rejection letter should tell you what your options are and what you need to do. I think you should fight on because I think you will win, and so do other posters above. The appeals system takes a while, but it doesn't cost anything. If it were me, I'd fight it.

I haven't received NTO yet as I'm still within 14 days.

I'm struggling to make a decision as on one hand, I do want to fight it as I know I'm on the right side in this case.

On the other hand I'm worried that I might not be able to represent myself well enough to win that. On top of that is the time sacrifice - I will have to designate some time for this case. Not sure how much as don’t know what to expect.

I tried to research the next steps but not really sure what is going to happen next after reading this from rejection letter:

3 lf the penalty charge is not paid or successfully challenged, the Council may serve a Notice to Owner (NtO) after 28 days of the penalty charge being served on the owner of the vehicle requiring payment of the full penalty charge. The owner can then make representations to the Council and may appeal to an independent adjudicator if those representations are rejected. The NtO will contain instructions for doing this.

please do advice on what can I expect to find in NtO, as I don't understand what exactly

- make representations to the Council mean? (In person? In writing?)

- appeal to an independednt adjudicator (I understand that as appeal to Ombudsman - is that in person, writing?)

thanks again..

Basically, there is no formal debt until a Notice to Owner is issued to the owner of the vehicle. You are still in this informal stage where you, or anyone else who happened to be driving, or who objects to the PCN, can make an informal appeal.

That's what you have done so far. The fact that you are also the owner is irrelevant.

Once the NTO comes through, it's formal, and you as the owner can submit a "formal representation". It's just a fancy term for a written appeal. So you will have a second chance to put your case in writing to them, and they will look at it afresh.

As you know, opting to take that route will mean letting the discount period expire, and you will be appealing the full charge. But as I said, if it were me, I would do that because I think you are right and will win. You can get some help on here, on how to word your representation. It's quite straight-forward really.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello All,

Based on your advice I decided to fight the case and I have now received NTO.Below you can find its contents. Apart from what’s below there are also 2 pageson how to make representation with statutory grounds as well as some spaceprovided for explanation.

First of all, Jamberson mentioned that the case is looked at afresh, so myunderstanding is to ignore the ignorant (council worker who responded to my challengeletter) and his response (including that CPZ does not regulate P&D) but referto initial PCN code 06 and lack of parking bay signs.

In my initial challenge letter (happy to scan if anyone is interested) Iprovided a lot of information e.g. how I got there + materials found on thisand other websites. Would you recommend at this stage just to get straight tothe point i.e. lack of P&D signs (& P&D Machine), sth I could think off:

The alleged contravention did not occur - the bays where I parked areunsigned:

- Where there are parking bays at the side of the road there must be singsevery 30m along the road.

- There should also be signs within 5m of each end of the parking bays.

- Every bay or set of bays needs a signs.

- The set of bays close to the entrance to Lena Street from A6 is separated bythe yellow lines from the set of bays I used. Therefore, the bays I parked onare not signed (should I mention Ientered from an alternative entry where this mentioned sign is not visible?)

Anything else I should mention here? Or maybe you’d recommend using more ‘technical’ language with cites fromcurrent legislation (In that case I’d need a lot of help though).

If needed, please find a NTO letter received.

Date of this Notice to Owner and date of posting

This Notice has been served on you because it appears to ManchesterCity Council that you are the owner of Vehicle Registration Number XXX Make:YYY Tax Disc: ZZZ Expiry: AAA Colour: BBB in respect of which vehicle Penalty ChargeNotice (PCN) number: CCC was served on DD by Civil Enforcement Officer (CEO):EEE who had reason to believe that the following contravention had occurred andthat a penalty charge was payable.

Parked without clearly displaying a valid pay and displayticket or voucher (code 06)

Date of Contravention:

Time:

The penalty charge is £50.00. To date £0.00 has been received.£50.00 is outstanding.

Note: The person appearing to be in charge of the vehicle specifiedabove was served with a penalty charge notice (PCN) which allowed 14 days for paymentof a 50% discounted penalty charge: otherwise the full penalty charge becamedue. Either no payment has been received or any payment received has been insufficientto clear the penalty charge.

A penalty charge notice of t50.00 is now payable by you asthe owner of the vehicle specified above and must be paid not later than the lastday of the period of 28 days beginning with the date on which this Notice is served.This Notice will be taken to have been served on the second working day after theday of posting (as shown above) unless you can show that it was not.

You may make representations to Manchester City Council asto why this penalty charge should not be paid. These representations should be madenot later than the last day of the period of 28 days beginning with the date onwhich this Notice is served and any representations which are made outside thatperiod may be disregarded.

Note: lf you do not pay the penalty charge or makerepresentations before the end of the 28 day period specified above the Councilmay increase the original penalty charge by 50% to £75.00 and take steps to enforcepayment.

My advice to people is always the same - strip out everything which does not form the basis of the appeal. The person reading it isn't going to be impressed with stuff quoted from the internet, or lots of circumstantial detail - let alone chapter and verse on the spacing of signs and so on. You just need to communicate the core issue to them in simple language.

I would write something like this, although it's up to you what you want to say - but this is what I would write:

On xxxx I parked in a marked bay on Lena Street. The bay had no signs governing it, and so it is my view as a driver that there are no restrictions in force at that bay. Nevertheless, to demonstrate that I was not seeking to take advantage of free parking, I purchased a P&D ticket from further along the road and displayed it on my vehicle.

When I returned, I had been ticketed by a CEO for overstaying.

The basis of this appeal is the absence of signage for the bay. If you consult your images, you will see that there is no sign at all communicating a restriction to the driver. Please note that there IS signage for the other bay in the road, but that is an entirely separate bay, some distance from the one I was using, and that sign will not therefore govern the bay I did use.

In my informal appeal, I brought up the signange issue, which was apparently accepted by the officer who looked at the case - but it was rejected nonetheless, on the basis that the CPZ entry signs govern pay and display bays within the zone, and that the restriction was therefore adequately signed. I believe this is false. CPZ signs do not govern P&D bays, and in any case, without a sign next to the bay, there is no way a motorist could even know whether it is a P&D bay. I cannot accept the decision to reject my informal representation, and maintain that there is no signage pertaining to this bay, rendering it unenforceable.

I believe this is a clear-cut case, and hope that you will agree that this PCN is not valid.

Your, etc

• 2 weeks later...
My advice to people is always the same - strip out everything which does (...)

Jamberson and others, many thanks for your advice.

I have submitted my challenge online and I'm awaiting response.

Will update you on the progress. Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...

Hello All,

Finally I have received a response from Manchester City Council. My Appeal has been rejected.

NOTICE OF REJECTION OF REPRESENTATIONS

Thank you for your letter, which we received on XXX

The representations that you made in respect of the Notice to Owner dated XXX which was served on you in respect of the above parking contravention have been considered by Manchester City Council (the Enforcement Authority) and have been rejected for the following reasons.

You were given a parking ticket for parking in a Pay & Display bay without a Pay & Display ticket. The Civil Enforcement Officer's notes, made when giving your parking ticket, state that you were not displaying a Pay & Display ticket. Even if you buy a ticket, it is not permitted to park without displaying it. I have noted the comments you have made in your letter regarding where you had parked. However, I am aware you do not live in Manchester. It is the driver's responsibility to ensure that they have checked the Controlled Parking Zone boundary signs and road marking then park correctly within the regulations. Please see the link below for images and evidence that you were parked in contravention of the parking rules*. Therefore, I am satisfied that your parking ticket was issued correctly.

*-The link is actually not provided

I was hoping the whole process would end on my last appeal instead I have the same feeling, as previously, that they don’t even try to respond to my defence line that there is inadequate signage.

As I understand the next step is Traffic Penalty Tribunal (TPT) and 3 types of hearing (personal, telephone, postal). On one hand I’d prefer personal one so I have some insight to what is actually happening, on the other I don’t want to waste a day on that and inevitably money (would have to take a day off most probably). There’s also a telephone option which I will consider.

What would you recommend in that situation? Is TPT fair enough to leave that to postal option?

Personal hearing is always the best option, you can choose the venue nearest to you:

http://www.parking-adjudication.gov.uk/olappeals/hearingvenues.asp.

But whichever method you choose, you have nothing to lose. You will not be liable for anything more than the present full penalty charge.

I have noted the comments you have made in your letter regarding where you had parked.

Along with all your other points you can add procedural impropriety, since they have not addressed the lack of signage at all.

• 1 month later...

Hello All,

I have just received a confirmation from Appeals Coordinator that Manchester Council provided a bundle of evidence in relation to that case. I have as well received a copy.

The letter states that any comment on or response to the Council's evidence must be submitted in writing to the Tribunal. Does that mean there will not be a personal hearing (my preferred method) ?

Also, in order to prepare properly for the hearing could you please direct me to documents/regulations that explain signage requirements, especially in relation to my case? A lot of stuff I found quite often I find it hard to understand, hence will not be able to communicate that.

Thanks for your support,

a.

I think it is usual in these cases for both sides to exchange documents they intend to refer to in the hearing, and that is done by sending them to the tribunal beforehand. The council will presumably have done so, and copied them to you. I don't think you need to send the council anything, let alone comment on their documents - but check the paperwork from TPT on the correct procedure. You will need to send them any papers you want to refer to - photos, copies of letters and so on. No need to duplicate anything in the council's bundle - that will be on the table to be looked at anyway, if they have submitted it and you can draw the adjudicator's attention to it if you wish, during the proceedings.

If you asked for a hearing, that is what will happen. The council cannot deny it to you, and there's no reason to think TPT have declined your application - give them a bell and check, if you want to put your mind at rest. I imagine they are in the process of scheduling it now. (You might also want to ask them the deadline for submitting your documents.)

What documents/regulations will you need to quote? Probably none. I think your principle task is to convince the person hearing the case that your parking bay was isolated from any others and had no signs governing it. Any images, statements the council made to you in their letters, that sort of thing - should be included in your bundle of documents. Make it as slam-dunk convincing as you possibly can that on that day, there was no sign. I really believe you can't lose, if you prove the case. Even if you can't prove it, I would still hope you would win.

If you can convince the adjudicator that there was no sign, quoting laws saying there has to be one is needless. It would be like quoting legislation to a judge, to prove that shoplifting is illegal - they know all it already.

If there are specific things in the council's bundle which you don't understand, feel free to ask.