My Oyster Card Was Stolen. Need Advice!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3837 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My annual travel card was stolen earlier this week.

I informed the police and TFL (who I assumed would cancel the stolen card).

However looking at my journey history (online) I can see that the individual who stole my card is making daily journeys throughout London on my card.

I just called TFL to ask whether they would cancel the card and the gentleman replied that unless he is stopped by an inspector he does not believe that there is much that can be done. However he said that he will escalate my query to his supervisor.

I am very upset, because not only was my card stolen, but this individual is getting a free ride off my hard earned cash.

Is there something more I can do?

Edited by Boat

If the card is registered with your details on their database you should have the option to phone up and disable it.

That's the whole point I would think.

Not to take away anything from your post and the following is just something I came across

and I'm only mentioning it because it's interesting. Off topic

- I heard a story where someone gave their registered card to someone who they would likely never meet again.

"Hey use this unregistered PAYG card".

The person topped up £50 with the card and mid-journey the original owner phoned up and said it was stolen/lost.

So when he tried to tap out at a central London station with lots of security he got caught and got a criminal record.

Plus the original owner got refunded the other guys £50.

you can get the card disabled

though I would suspect they will keep it open till he next tries to use it

then, yes they'll catch them.

you should not have to pay for 'his' journeys.

you'll get those back.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Thanks for the responses.

While this individual is getting a free ride off my oyster, I am not paying any additional fees because they are travelling within the zones permitted. Also TFL stated that they are aware that the card is no longer in my possession, so any charges will not be attributed to me.

The thing that bothers me is that TFL's website clearly states that if your 'Oyster photocard is lost, stolen or damaged online. Once reported, we'll stop it and send you a replacement'

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tickets/14629.aspx

but they have not done this. And when I called, the gentleman stated that he could not cancel the card, however he would escalate my query.

Not really sure what to do.

Is this a normal top up card or a season ticket one ?. Was it registered (as mentioned, you then have total control over it), if you can view where they have been going then it sounds as if it is registered.