Toys r us working hours inquiry

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3842 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi guys just a quick question.

My partner has recently started work as a Christmas temp at toys r us.

Her hours are Saturday - 1pm till 7pm and Sunday - 11am till 5pm.

Our issue is that she has had to stay late every night an extra 30-60minutes to tidy the shop at store closing time

and also had to attend training instore outside of her agreed hours.

Now, she has just came home upset as she has found out that she may not get paid for the extra time she has put in outside of her normal agreed hours,

is it true that she may not get paid or are toys r us being a bit naughty?

she hasn't had her first pay date yet but I'm unhappy for her to come home nearly an hour later than she should

because she had to stay to clean the store after her shift had finished, if she's not getting paid for it!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

By law, because she is on hourly pay, she must be paid for all time worked. If they dont pay then they leave themselves open to legal action for unlawful deduction of pay.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

Okay I thought as much, thankyou for the fast reply. I'll keep track of the extra time she has put in and when her first wage slip is handed to her we'll see if their trying it on. Am I right I'm thinking time worked is measured in half hours? I.e if she does 7hours 45mins, she'll actually get paid 7hours 30mins?

Am I right I'm thinking time worked is measured in half hours? I.e if she does 7hours 45mins, she'll actually get paid 7hours 30mins?

All depends on the company and contract. Some pay in 15 min intervals, others in 30. Thats why you need to be sure of the contract and make sure you stick to it. When dealing with issues like this, you need to make sure you dont put a foot out of line, and make sure you let THEM slip up and make the mistakes.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

Okay thankyou for your feedback! Yes I'll be keeping track for her, we won't be taken for a ride whilst trying to make an honest bit of extra cash for the kids Xmas prezzies!lol thanks again

Answers are not 100% correct above. It all depends on the contract and rate of pay. You should never (some exceptions) get paid less than national minimum wage rates. They are currently 21 and over £6.31,18 to 20 £5.03, Under 18 £3.72, Apprentice£2.68.

If, for example, she is over 21 and only on 6.31. She can do no overtime if it is unpaid (or work related training). However, her contract could allow her to do free overtime (or work related training) if she got paid over mimimum wage e.g. if I work 1 hour per week but get paid double national minimum wage 6.31 x 2 = 12.62, every week I can be required to do one hour free overtime if my contract says so, as 12.62 divided by two hours = 6.31 therefore I still meet national minimum wage even though I work 1 hour 'free' overtime.............I hope I explained that clearly enough

wage rates as of october 1st 2013 are used above

No matter what, she is on hourly pay and by uk law MUST be paid for all work done. There are no exceptions to this rule. If training is considered company time, then she must be paid for it. If it is considered personal time, then the employee has the right to decline.

renegadeeimp - please show me evidence.

https://www.gov.uk/overtime-your-rights/overview

https://www.gov.uk/minimum-wage-different-types-work/paid-by-the-hour

also here are thee payments that can reduce nmw (although not applicable to the OP) and these apply in england aswell - http://www.nibusinessinfo.co.uk/content/deductions-and-payments-workers-do-not-reduce-national-minimum-wage-pay

I wont go on because I dont wont to hijack the thread

Edited by Offkey81
added another link

We arent talking about min wage. We are talking about not being paid for the hours that have been worked. Op's case is very simple and straightforward. His other half isnt being paid for the work done and is being forced to work extra for no pay.

renegadeeimp - without further details I cant see how you can state that, but hey-ho. That is why I stated it depends on both contract and rate of pay unless I have not read something as I skimmed - also I would still like to see the evidence, not being funny or owt - I have added another link to post 8 about time work

also can I nick your signiture :-)

Edited by Offkey81

If the contract says reasonable overtime but doesn't state there is payment for it, *and* the hours don't take her under min wage, then she may not be paid.

You will find in retail "reasonable" stretches out a lot.

Also be aware that wih such little service if she complains they may just find a way to sack her, and you will have no comeback.

When she ASKED (not demanded quoting the law!) about getting paid for the extra, what reply did she get?

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!