BankFodder BankFodder

• Tweets

• I wouldn’t want to live under a repressive government that had a centrally controlled economy and actively suppressed dissent. Yet such an economy could bring massive resources (financial and manpower) into play.   Coronavirus: How can China build a hospital so quickly? https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-51245156   It isn’t just that it is being built so quickly, but also that it is being built with infection control in mind, and means other healthcare facilities can transfer suspected cases there, retaining their capacity to treat non-respiratory illness patients.
    • I cannot see how they can issue a Court claim, if they have not issued a default notice.   You might owe a debt, but if the terms of the account require the Bank to take certain actions before they could enforce the debt in a Court, then I would suggest you study the account terms/conditions very carefully.  If you can become expert in understanding the account terms, this might come in handy, if you ever did have to defend a Court claim.
    • The key determinant to UB’s scenario is : at what point in relation to when they develop symptoms are those people infectious.   Chickenpox, for example, is infectious (by airborne droplet spread) 2 days before the rash appears. So, the patient might feel a “bit unwell / virally ill” without any specific signs, and not have sufficient symptoms / signs to allow action to be taken.   There isn’t enough data (yet!) to know when 2019-nCoV becomes infectious.   https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/about/transmission.html   “Best guess” is when they start having symptoms of coughing and sneezing, at least that will be peak infectivity.   If they are soon to become symptomatic, how infectious is a single cough or sneeze? Nobody yet knows. Edit: hot off the press: China coronavirus 'spreads before symptoms show' https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-51254523   As for “Do the Government/NHS have sufficient contingency measures in place to deal with any such crisis ?“   The Agency leading (at least for England, each of the other 3 nations of the UK has a similar body) is Public Health England. It isn’t part of the NHS per se, (but works with the NHS). It is “government”, but quasi-autonomous.  It describes itself as “We are an executive agency of the Department of Health and Social Care, and a distinct organisation with operational autonomy”.   PHE has issued guidance, both for primary care and secondary care, for (amongst other things): a) who gets tested, b) case management, and c) infection prevention measures.   Whilst more information specific to 2019-nCoV is being learnt, these are pretty much based on what we know from SARS and MERS, but I’d expect them to get “fine-tuned” as we know more.   So, there are plans.   2 factors spring to mind immediately, though.   A) Can the plans be fully implemented? Hospitals are already facing bed pressures. If demand for resources (such as FFP3 masks) soars: will supplies match demand? (Both for “total number of units available overall, over the total period of demand”, but equally importantly  “supplies deliverable on demand: what would be the equivalent of ‘cashflow’ for a bank“)   B) Availability of testing. With a small number of cases meeting the case definition, each can be tested. If 2019-nCoV becomes widespread, will the availability of testing match demand? What will the turnaround time for testing be?   Will testing matter if it becomes widespread? At the moment, there is widespread availability of testing for Flu and the most common respiratory viruses. This is useful so that they can prioritise the isolation of Flu A patients in hospital, and offer them treatment for FluA, and Mrs Bloggs who looks like they might have flu, but actually has picornavirus on a background of chronic bronchitis doesn’t get isolated and doesn’t get flu treatment once her results are back.   Will testing matter as much for 2019-nCoV? Not for treatment (as there is no specific antiviral at the moment). How about for decision on isolation? That’ll depend on how many cases there are (there may not be enough side rooms), and if testing supply can match demand.   (not quite “worst case” but “not great case”) scenario is : A) Hospital wards: not enough side rooms. “Cohort nursing” in bays (or even “cohort wards”), so Mrs Bloggs with her rhinovirus and chronic bronchitis gets put in the bed next door to Mrs Bull who has 2019-nCoV (or, even: next door to Mr Bull, if things get bad enough the ‘same sex’ rules get suspended). B) Split Emergency Departments. Non “?flu, ?2019-nCoV” go to one side, those with compatible respiratory symptoms go to another waiting area. All the respiratory symptom patients lumped in, waiting, together. I’d expect once people realised where they would be waiting they would only go if they really had no other choice ...... On the plus side, much was learnt from the SARS outbreak, so they are better informed than when they first faced SARS
    • You don't get a good deal from the USA, look at all the tech we gave them during and after World War II, then they tried to stop us using the tech we invented and provided to them.
    • Millions (literally) of people commit speeding offences every year. If every one of them lost their job as a result those millions would be unemployed. I know of few jobs where a single speeding conviction would result in dismissal.   Should you be unfortunate enough to be in this position again simply follow the process as laid out in the paperwork. Don't get smart and start prattling on about your (mistaken) rights under GDPR or whatever. As you have seen, by the time you've established your rights correctly you will face a court hearing. You can ask for "photographs to help identify the driver" before you return your driver nomination form (though that does not stop the 28 day clock measuring the period in which you have to respond). Don't ask for "evidence" as it may be taken that you are disputing the matter and out-of-court disposals (far and away the most favourable option) may not be offered. You have no entitlement to evidence unless the matter goes to court. Most forces will provide such photos (though they don't have to) by giving you a link to follow. They rarely help in identifying the driver because their purpose is to identify the vehicle. Identifying the driver is your responsibility and if you fail to do so without a valid defence you commit a more serious offence which carries a hefty fine, six points and an endorsement code that will see your insurance premiums rocket.
  • Our picks

Raychel-Louise

what do i do about my landlord regards my heating

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 2281 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

I have lived in my property for just over 4 months. i have a baby who is 7 month old.

the problem is i have no central heating, no radiators, etc. I only have a boiler for hot water.

my lil girl is constantly ill with her chest from it being so cold.

i have mithered my landlord asking him when will it be done. He always has an excuse. i pay 450£ PCM for my 2 bed house. I dont even have double glazing. its still not even finished. i have a hole in my kitchen roof, no splash tiles on in the kitchen and only a shower n toliet n sink in my bathroom.

he said he was going to provide me with a fire that he was to place on the wall. this still hasnt been done, that was 4 weeks ago. Iv told him that if its not done i will be moving within the month. iv reported im to health and saftey and they are getting onto the case. im just annoyed at how he just wants the money and doesnt care for our welfare. what is my next move to ensure something will be done.

I have moved your thread to the correct forum.

Welcome to CAG.

AFAIK there is no legal requirement for a LL to provide central heating, just an immersion or hot water boiler and space heating capable of maintaining main living room at 18-20 C. Nor is there a requirement to install d/g. only maintain existing windows.

We have just had the warmest Sep for many years!

I assume you inspected the property before signing the AST and was shown the EPC?

You don't even mention type/age of property, flat, semi, terrace.

All you can do is request Council private T relations officer/EHO to visit/inspect.

Any improvement promises made by LL are not worth the paper, unless you can show you informed LL they were integral to you accepting AST.

Otherwise you are liable for rent and property until last day of fixed term, unless LL agrees an early surrender.

Correct, but most LAs cover the EPC requirement by including it in the advertised property details.

A property without central heating or storage heaters would almost certainly be a category 1 hazard under the Housing Act 2004. Contact the council's Environmental Health department and ask for an inspection. They should be able to get the landlord to address the other issues too, apart from double glazing. You might qualify for a free central heating installation under the energy company obligation (ECO) scheme. Good luck.

With regard to the type of heating a landlord has to provide, Liverpool Council successfully appealed a Residential Property Tribunal ruling which said the landlord could provide peak rate electrical heaters. So it is possible to force a more affordable option.