Estate Agent how to sue one

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2764 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My friend agree to purchase a property from Estate Agent A.

After agreeing to purchase my friend. did searches, instructed solicitor, fixtures and fittings were signed.

The solicitor - not the Estate Agent rang my friend and said that the vendor had a change of circumstances and has taken the property off the market.

24hrs later when looking on the websites he found the same house with the same agent for sale for £10k more than previously agreed.

The estate agent was called by my friend and it was confirmed that the house was the same house.

He was forced to, because of the chain, pay the £10k additional.

Here are my thoughts.

1. The estate agent advised the vendor this was possible

2. The estate agent did not act responsibly and may have agreed to the vendor as they new this would result in higher commission.

Can my friend sue the Estate Agent for acting so dishonestly or do anything?

in a word NO! they have not done anything illegal, unfortunately. Nothing binding until contracts exchanged, deposit paid. ( gazumping springs to mind and market forces )

Having said that anybody can anybody to court for anything, but doubt you would gat anywhere.

If you like high risk games make an offer and the day contracts are due to be exchanged reduce the offer by £10k on threat to pull out. The vendor will have gone through all the same as you have with their new property and will be hated by their seller so they will probably swallow and accept the reduced offer.